"The Future of Human Spaceflight"

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 15th 09, 07:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Ian Parker

Default "The Future of Human Spaceflight"

On 15 Jan, 19:04, (Rand Simberg) wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:42:37 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
Ian Parker made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

There is one additional point which should be made. Venus is a
complete red herring - and you know it.

There are a whole load of classified projects that no one knows
anything about. I think the answer is if anyone delves to deeply into
what should, or should not, be done in space they come up against
classification issues. I believe two things.

1) That if classified matters are being discussed they should stay
stum rather that go for the invective. This is what would after all be
expected in a scientific conference.

A newsgroup is not a scientific conference. *It is lunacy to imagine
that it is.

2) Because peer group review is absent classified research is often
inefficient.

Ares - I don't think it is intended to go to the Mars or even the
Moon. It is intended for some highly classified project. The Moon and
Mars are merely covers. What could this project be? We can only, of
course make educated guesses. However there are some well known facts.

http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/...006-06/msg0069...
http://www.armscontrol.org/act/2003_...nalysis_june03

An ABM laser is being developed. It is as far as I can gather based on
CO2. (9.4/10.6 microns I think)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide_laser

Suppose we send the payload of the 747 to MEO with Ares. We would need
larger mirrors for the longer range, but potentially you have a global
ABM system.

The Chinese are well aware of this and that is one of the reasons why
they are conducting ASAT tests.
http://www.spacewar.com/reports/A_Go...t_Two_999.html

The Chinese are clearly aware of this.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci...e_frm/thread/8...

As far as AI is concerned I managed to trawl the following. The work
is extensive to say the least of it. Why with this extensive list do
people call me looney. It just doesn't figure at all. This is wha\t
makes me angry and causes me to go into such matters as Iraq.

No, what makes you angry and causes you to go into irrelevant matters
as Iraq is that you are completely off your nut.

rest of typical Ian lunacy snipped- Hide quoted text -

Everything in their is well and truly attested. Someone has saif that
GILA means lunacy in Indonesian. I would not know anything about this.
This is all work that is actually going on and has been well attested.
If you are calling me mad then you are a liar, it is really as simple
as that.

I would have thought that it was not just scientific conferences but a
matter of common courtesy. You do not seem to appeciate that. Iraq is
mentioned for one reason and one reason alone. Iraqis do NOT naturally
support AQ. They along with the Syrians like such things as belly
dancing. I am simply describing how attitudes that you typify get
people's backs up. Al-Qaida = the devil and the deep blue sea.

You seem to claim the right to insult people whenever you choose,
along with the dregs of your Republican Party. Could I explain just
one thing to you about the Middle East. Talking as you do will get
Arab backs up far faster than you get mine up. They are people who
(still) have rightly or wrongly a culture of honor.

No I am not talking high policy here I am talking about the ground.
Well I am talking about high policy in the training sense. It seems to
me thatr people are "trained" to wreck all discussion here as well.

You never seem to want to tell us what your views for low cost
spaceflight really are. Are you afraid they will not pass muster? I
think I recall an exchange on just this. I say, yet again, that I
think this group is becoming an excercise in sheer futility. It will
unless thee is a considerable change.

A Mars trip without new technology is simply pie in the sky. Neither
Obama nor anyone else is remotely going to vote funds, recession or no
recession. This as I said is the cold hard truth.

- Ian Parker