Remark on a comment made

Old January 12th 18, 10:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default Remark on a comment made

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 1:48:16 PM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
The neat and intricate precept that allows 'average' to substitute for
'constant' would delight those who haven't lost the spirit of curiosity and
creativity.

There are certainly circumstances where "average" can substitute for "constant".

The Equation of Time in no way whatsoever means that we can't divide the globe into 15 degree one-hour standard time zones. It's good enough that our clocks indicate we should eat lunch when the Sun is fairly high in the sky - as long as
they keep on doing so, year after year, being up to 15 minutes out of agreement
with the sundial is not going to be a problem.

But there are other times when this distinction is significant, and has to be
kept in mind. If you're going to calculate the orbital motion of an artificial
satellite, one can't just neglect a factor of the size of the Equation of Time -
so if you can avoid having to work it into every equation by considering
rotation from the sidereal viewpoint instead of the solar viewpoint... you will
obviously be well advised to do so.

This has nothing to do with being dull, unimaginative, or blind to the glory of
the heavens.

John Savard
Old January 12th 18, 11:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

palsing wrote in
:

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 11:55:07 AM UTC-8, Quadibloc
wrote:
On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 12:19:31 PM UTC-7, Gerald
Kelleher wrote:
Who can blame these unfortunates from making things up as
they go along as the policy of empirical mathematicians have
been exactly that for centuries.

No, it only seems that way because you do not understand
mathematics.

I would suggest that you go back to school, except that I fear
you are unwilling to learn, and thus would merely waste the
time of your teachers.

Not only unwilling to learn, also unable to learn...

Bag of dicks, Seamus.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Old January 13th 18, 12:55 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 10:57:59 PM UTC, palsing wrote:

Not only unwilling to learn, also unable to learn...

You don't do slogans and stock phrases well but some of your objections were quite useful.

You have the direct/retrograde resolution for the faster moving Venus and Mercury in front of you but lack the one thing that makes like worthwhile - spirit or inspiration which passes through all creation and your journey through it.

As for learning, Galileo was right -

“You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him find it within himself.” ― Galileo Galilei

Throw your lot in with the mindless, life goes on and grows ever more wonderful for those who can be inspired/spiritual.

Old January 17th 18, 08:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

There is no real difference between the refugees from the science fiction forum and the theoretical fiction that dominates this era under the name of astronomy.

It could easily fall into the dark ages of astronomy and in some ways it already has since the emergence of mathematical riff-raff into this great human endeavor however modern tools are just too great and the longing for astronomy with physical considerations is so strong that it may eventually blossom to where it should be.

Old January 18th 18, 04:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
David Goldfarb

In article ,
Gerald Kelleher wrote:
however modern tools are just too great and the
longing for astronomy with physical considerations is so strong that it
may eventually blossom to where it should be.

Do you really fail to understand that the "graphics and imaging" you
are always so on about are created, USING the mathematics you decry
as "voodoo" and "bluffing"? Without the mathematics, there would
be no imaging.

--
David Goldfarb |"Atheists view their theist friends with
Old January 18th 18, 11:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Bill wrote in
:

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 03:33:38 GMT, David Goldfarb wrote:

Do you really fail to understand that the "graphics and
imaging" you are always so on about are created, USING the
mathematics you decry as "voodoo" and "bluffing"? Without the
mathematics, there would be no imaging.

Much of his life depends on the very thing loathes; but with his
variety of "logic" - anything goes.

The dude isn't right in the head.

Old January 19th 18, 12:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill[_9_]

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 03:33:38 GMT, David Goldfarb wrote:

Do you really fail to understand that the "graphics and imaging" you
are always so on about are created, USING the mathematics you decry
as "voodoo" and "bluffing"? Without the mathematics, there would
be no imaging.

Much of his life depends on the very thing loathes; but with his variety
of "logic" - anything goes.
--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Old January 19th 18, 09:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 11:27:40 PM UTC, Bill wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 03:33:38 GMT, David Goldfarb wrote:

Do you really fail to understand that the "graphics and imaging" you
are always so on about are created, USING the mathematics you decry
as "voodoo" and "bluffing"? Without the mathematics, there would
be no imaging.

Much of his life depends on the very thing loathes; but with his variety
of "logic" - anything goes.
--
Email address is a Spam trap.

You guys equate engineering achievements with theory so if I had a euro for every time I heard 'didn't we give you a washing machine, a bomb, a tv' as some sort of pathetic response to astronomical achievements I would be a wealthy man.

I never thought I would have to explain it as the whole thing is self-explanatory - time lapse and sequential imaging aided by additional graphics condenses long term observations into easily understood narratives where analogies can be applied.

http://www.popastro.com/images/plane...ary%202012.jpg

Venus runs its loop of the Sun and for space-age people this is a cinch. How we see it when it is to the left or right of the Sun is also easy and especially the use of the local horizon as a sun shade when the planet is really close to the Sun and darkness hasn't entirely set in.

Why shouldn't the wider population enjoy the spectacle and have a chance to put their position in context of the faster moving inner planets closer to the Sun and the slower moving planets further out. Maybe the pretense of superior and inferior planets, conjunctions and oppositions and any of the other archaic language gives the magnification some type of superiority in his identification hobby but humanity is really ready to take stock of their solar system surroundings.

Old January 20th 18, 08:05 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Friday, 19 January 2018 00:58:45 UTC+1, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
Bill wrote in
:

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 03:33:38 GMT, David Goldfarb wrote:

Do you really fail to understand that the "graphics and
imaging" you are always so on about are created, USING the
mathematics you decry as "voodoo" and "bluffing"? Without the
mathematics, there would be no imaging.

Much of his life depends on the very thing loathes; but with his
variety of "logic" - anything goes.

The dude isn't right in the head.

sigh Out of the mouths of babes and suckers.