ASTRO: Arp 134 A very familiar galaxy

Old May 5th 09, 06:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 134 A very familiar galaxy

Arp 134 is a galaxy very familiar to amateur astronomers being it is one
of the biggest and brightest galaxies in the sky and looks perfectly
normal to the eye and in most photos. I'm talking about the giant
elliptical galaxy M49. So why would a perfectly normal elliptical make
the list? Seems it is eating its companion UGC 07636. It is in Arp's
classification as "Elliptical or elliptical like galaxies; with nearby
fragments. UGC 07636 is the fragment. Apparently he thought it part of
M49 rather than an appetizer. In my shot it is the blue splat like
feature on the "front" of M49. Looks to me like where a blue phaser is
hitting the Enterprise's shields and the energy is being spread across
the shields. Notice the blue stars ripped from the galaxy spreading
into M 49 or at least appearing to do so. In a black and white photo
like you normally see this contrast is lost.

Look in the outskirts of M49's halo in the 1 o'clock position. There's
an obvious galaxy being seen right through the halo stars. It is rather
reddened by inter galactic dust. M49 has little or none so it isn't the
cause. This is usually a sign of extreme distance. Sloan designates it
as SDSS J122939.20+080229.1 and puts its red shift distance at 1.839
billion light years! That is one huge galaxy if we could see it at
M49's distance of 60-70 million light years.

There are a lot of other NGC galaxies in the image. Considering we are
looking in the heart of the Virgo Cluster this isn't surprising. NGC
4464 (E3) is at the top of the image a bit right of center. NGC 4465
(Sc) is much nearer Arp 134 on the very edge of its halo at 2 o'clock,
just under a small blue star. It is rather small with little detail as
it is 5 or 6 times farther away at 351 million light years and thus not
a member of the Virgo cluster. NGC 4467 (E2) is even closer to Arp 134
and thus within the fainter outer halo at the 3 o'clock position just
left of a rather bright blue star. NGC 4471 (E?) is in the halo at the
5 o'clock position. At the very bottom of my image barely left of NGC
4471 is NGC 4470 (Sa?) It's red shift is higher than what you'd expect
for a Virgo cluster member but it is considered to be a member just the
same. Notice how all these members of the cluster are far smaller that
M49. That's because M49 is a giant among galaxies and one of the anchor
galaxies whose gravity holds the cluster together (along with the dark
matter of course). One other NGC galaxy is trying to get into the
image. You see the western side of its halo at the far left. Normally
it is a star on the edge of my CCD that is making a glaring entrance to
the image. Here we just see the outer halo of NGC 4492, most of which
is out of the frame. So this time the "glare" is real not just a
reflection.

The spiral galaxy in the lower right corner is CGCG 042-125 (Sb(r)) It
isn't a cluster member being at 335 million light years and thus likely
in a group with NGC 4465 mentioned earlier. Nearer to Arp 134 almost on
a line to its core from CGCG 042-125 is the weirdly named VIII Zw 189
(E0) and it is a member of the cluster.

The raw files picked up three very faint asteroids, one of which was
first seen only a week or so before I took this image. They needed data
on it a week after I took the image but I didn't look at my data until
weeks after it was taken but weren't interested in images taken during
my imaging run. Even the other two were so faint they didn't survive
the JPG process, all being well below magnitude 20.5.

Arp's 200" photo of this galaxy is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Arp/frames.html
It has south up rather than north up as for my photo. UGC 7636 is at
the upper right in his blue light image of the system. Since the halo
is rather lacking in blue light it barely shows in his image but UGC
7636 being very blue shows strongly. A color CCD image gives a more
more natural look at the situation than does a film image taken in one
color.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP134M49L6X10RGB2X10R1.jpg
Views:	1019
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	2440
Old May 5th 09, 09:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Adriano

Great image Rick! One nit though, there seems to be a lot of spurious
color in the halo; big green and red splotches.

Rick Johnson wrote:
Arp 134 is a galaxy very familiar to amateur astronomers being it is one
of the biggest and brightest galaxies in the sky and looks perfectly
normal to the eye and in most photos. I'm talking about the giant
elliptical galaxy M49.

Rick

Adriano
http://www.edmar-co.com/adriano/

34°14'11.7"N
Old May 6th 09, 08:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Rick Johnson wrote:
Arp 134 is a galaxy very familiar to amateur astronomers being it is
one of the biggest and brightest galaxies in the sky and looks
perfectly normal to the eye and in most photos. I'm talking about the
giant elliptical galaxy M49.

Rick

Yep, clouds rolled in giving a haze layer when taking green and blue
frames. Thus their S/N ratio is lower than the red. Hence the problem.
I was going to retake it but 5 weeks of clouds caused me to go with
what I had. I'll try again next year.

Rick

Old May 6th 09, 11:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

very good image. The colour contrast between M49 and the small blue galaxy
is striking.

Stefan

ter.com...