Chanchu is dead; long live pearl.

Old May 19th 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,alt.talk.weather,uk.sci.astronomy

Default Chanchu is dead; long live pearl.

Weatherlawyer wrote:

The latest BBC forecast shows that an occluded front is due to run
across Scotland (and points east) late Wednesday. That's pretty good for
a sea level forecast given over 3 days back.

Well the storm or what there was of it, blew through here earlier
today. Gusts of 50 mph maybe? And a fair bit of rain but not the storm
it could have been.

And now there is a tropical storm (Makani) out towards Hawaii. What an
interesting spell.
http://satellite.ehabich.info/hurricane-watch.htm

The Hawaiian storm isn't going to do much, I think. And it is hardly
what you might call misty weather. However:

The Low pressure area that seemed to cross Britain in the last few days
has re-established itself out in the Atlantic once mo
http://www.weather.org.uk/charts/UKCpf048.png -or will have by Sunday,
according to that site.

I wish that I could find a site that gives the phases between the
phases. There are plenty with the well known lunar phase but I need the
ones out in the middle of the gibbous and waining crescents.

If a new moon is 0% and a full is 100% and the quarter moons are 50%. I
want the times of the phases when the moon is 25% and 75% visible.

If I could get them, I bet my accuracy would go up by soem 50%. It
would be nice to catch up with this fellow:
http://earthquake.itgo.com/today.htm

Old May 19th 06, 06:25 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,alt.talk.weather,uk.sci.astronomy

Try this for phases: http://www.inconstantmoon.com/index.htm. Not sure
whether timings are included for indeterminate phases

Software like any version of the sky has also a phase tool inbedded.

Pierre MK-UK

Old May 19th 06, 08:03 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,alt.talk.weather,uk.sci.astronomy

wrote:

Try this for phases:
http://www.inconstantmoon.com/index.htm. Not sure
whether timings are included for indeterminate phases.

Software like any version of the sky has also a phase tool embedded.

Nice site and it lead me back to the JPL, which seems to offer more and
more lately: http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/?horizons (We get bugger all from
our own people despite the hideous taxes we pay them in comparison.)

JPL produce the nautical and other almanacs in partnership with the
Rutherford Physics laboratory in Cambridge. I have looked there a few
times to try and get what I wanted but I just forgot the need I once
had and developed the ideas I have now, working with what little data
there is.

Here is a good one for the basic phases:
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/?horizons: 6000 Year Catalog. When I was
working on the ideas, there was nothing like this. So I look forward to
the future with more and more confidence.

on the saros
Interesting that the Saros continues to produces effective phenomenae
for centuries. I had thought that a cycle only lasts for three eclipses
and that was the end of it.

"Every eclipse is said to belong to a Saros series, and each series
is given a number. For instance, the annular eclipse of February 1999
belongs to Saros series 140, whilst the total eclipse of August 1999
belongs to series 145. At any point in time there will be around 42
Saros series in progress.

The eclipses within any Saros series are not identical, the area they
cover gradually migrates, each eclipse being centred slightly to the
north or south of its predecessor.

This gives a saros series a fixed life span, beginning as a minor
eclipse near one of the poles, evolving cycle by cycle into a major
eclipse spanning the equatorial regions, and eventually ending as
another minor eclipse at the opposite pole.

By convention, the odd numbered series begin near the north pole and
migrate southwards whilst the even numbered ones move northwards from
the south pole.

The lifetime of a Saros, from pole to pole, is some 1400 years, during
which it will produce between 69 and 86 eclipses. Saros 145 began in
January 1639, and will end in April 3009."
http://www.inconstantmoon.com/inconstant.htm

Old May 20th 06, 12:42 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,alt.talk.weather,uk.sci.astronomy

Default OOPS

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Here is a good one for the basic phases:
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/?horizons: 6000 Year Catalog.

That ^ should have
read:http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips.../phasecat.html

"The tables available though the links below give the date and time
(Universal Time) of all phases of the Moon for the six thousand year
period -1999 to +3000 (2000 BCE to 4000 CE). This data is provided
primarily to assist in historical research projects.

For the year 2000, the length of the mean synodic month (New Moon to
New Moon) is 29.530588 days (=29d12h44m03s). However, the length of any
one synodic month can vary from 29.26 to 29.80 days due to the
perturbing effects of the Sun's gravity on the Moon's eccentric orbit.

Each one hundred-year phase table also indicates when an eclipse of the
Sun or Moon takes place. An eclipse of the Sun can occur only at New
Moon, while an eclipse of the Moon can occur only at Full Moon.

Historians should note that the astronomical dating system used in
these tables includes the year "0" while the traditional BCE - CE
dating convention does not.

Thus, the year "0" here corresponds to "1 BCE", the year "-100" is "101
BCE", and so on. The old style Julian calendar is used for dates prior
to 1582, while the modern Gregorian calendar is used after that date.
For more information, see calendar dates:
http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEhelp/calendar.html"

Not only has the daily percentage visibility of the moon but the
declination of it too. I have just spent the evening failing to work
out how to convert it to an XL document so I can delete the columns I
don't want.

I'd rather mess around with that all day than collate a
weatherforecast. What I need is a wife who knows how to use a desktop
office and finds this sort of thing interesting.

Where can I find a desperate, young, rich, and pretty woman who has
those qualifications?