That Jenkins hack again... (Was More Space Anime)

Old October 15th 03, 06:27 AM
Chuck Stewart

Default That Jenkins hack again... (Was More Space Anime)

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:46:31 +0000, Jorge R. Frank wrote:

"Chuck Stewart" wrote in
news

Current 'Allen Steele meets Anime' effort: "Planetes" (First ep is out,
as is jury...)

The opening scene is really cool, at least. A piece of space debris (a
bolt) smashes through the window of a spaceliner in LEO. I really need to
sit down and watch the rest.

Speaking of hazardous orbital debris... A short promo
feature that a Japanese media show did on "Planetes" is
floating around the anime binaries newsgroups (Don't ask
me what I was doing in that neighborhood and I won't
tell... All I can say is that Mii is a pervert.)

Anywayz... the reporter did the usual "going into the
anime studio" routine and stopped by the reference
bookshelf of the series mecha designer (and, clue for the
newbies, "mecha" means "mechanical", not "giant robot"),
the camera did a pan of the books... and there it was.

Jenkins.

Again.

In between Kozloski's "U.S. Space Gear" and that gaggle
of guy's "The Space Shuttle Operator's Manual".

Add in the suspiciously authored Jenkins and Landis'
"Hypersonic", Jay Miller's "The X-Planes", Melvyn Smith's
"Space Shuttle" and things are looking pretty bad for
this anime... And what's up with some guy nmed Miller's
"The Dream Machines", huh?

Indeed prospects seem dim for this show... but at least
there was no sign of "Red Star In Orbit" on the shelf...

--
Chuck Stewart
"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just studying algebra?"