Suggest some telescope to buy

Old April 14th 06, 02:26 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default Suggest some telescope to buy

Hello

I am a beginner and want to buy a telescope. I've found out a bit about
telescopes through google groups and some website. So I think 4"
telescope would be good for a starter. It also seems to me that 6" is a
better choice, but it is expensive. I am inclined towards Reflactors
than Refractors on the account that later has large aperture and I can
see planets and may be galaxies.

Anyway I found some on the Internet. Can you please check these out and
give your openions that which one should be a better buy. I don't want
to spend more than £200.

Diameter 130mm & its a Reflactor (looks good to me)
http://www.telescopeplanet.co.uk/Vie... PON05L000001

http://www.bestoptics.co.uk/ishop/1017/shopscr173.html
http://www.telescopeplanet.co.uk/Vie...PON05I00002 3
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...&params=P11585

Cheers

Old April 14th 06, 10:15 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

On 13 Apr 2006 18:26:33 -0700, in uk.sci.astronomy , "Kappa"
wrote:

Hello

I am a beginner and want to buy a telescope. I've found out a bit about
telescopes through google groups and some website. So I think 4"
telescope would be good for a starter. It also seems to me that 6" is a
better choice, but it is expensive. I am inclined towards Reflactors
than Refractors on the account that later has large aperture

Do not judge by aperture alone - quality of optics is also important,
as is a good mount. You might find this useful.

http://www.astunit.com/tutorials/firstscope.htm

and I can see planets and may be galaxies.

Galaxies are generally easier than planets, not least because there's
more of them!

Anyway I found some on the Internet. Can you please check these out and
give your openions that which one should be a better buy. I don't want
to spend more than £200.

Ce warned - maximum magnifications are generally incorrect. Multiply
the diameter in inches by 50, to get a sensible max magnification. I
normally use my 114mm reflector at x60, which is fine. At x120, things
get wobbly & hard to focus.

Mark McIntyre
Old April 20th 06, 04:20 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

http://www.telescopehouse.co.uk/page...lang=001lngdef

If it's not too big for you to manage, a 200mm dob will give you the
light-gathering you need for galaxies. Dob's are also much more stable
than inexpensive tripod-mounted scopes.