Could the universe be older and bigger than we can see?

Old August 25th 05, 01:55 AM
Yousuf Khan

Default Could the universe be older and bigger than we can see?

Here's a question that's been puzzling me. If the universe is
expanding, and the further an object (e.g. a galaxy) is away from us,
the faster it is moving away from us. Are there parts of space so far
away from us that it's expanding away from us *faster* than the speed
of light? From what I understand the speed of light limitation doesn't
apply to the expansion of space itself.

Therefore the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation isn't the cloak
that surrounds the secrets of the Big Bang, but just the curtain around
a part of the universe that is now out of contact with us. An endlessly
expanding universe sure, but one that never had a beginning?

Yousuf Khan

Old August 25th 05, 02:27 AM
Androcles

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
ps.com...
| Here's a question that's been puzzling me. If the universe is
| expanding,

Is it?

| and the further an object (e.g. a galaxy) is away from us,
| the faster it is moving away from us.

So it would be accelerating base on that idea....

Are there parts of space so far
| away from us that it's expanding away from us *faster* than the speed
| of light?

Faster than the speed of light, relative to what? Us? The source?
The "nothing" between us and the star that is part of of the galaxy
that is red-shifted?

| From what I understand the speed of light limitation doesn't
| apply to the expansion of space itself.

Ah.... from what you understand... I see.
What is it that you *see*, exactly?

Androcles.

Old August 25th 05, 02:40 AM
Charles

On 24 Aug 2005 17:55:15 -0700, "Yousuf Khan"
wrote:

Here's a question that's been puzzling me. If the universe is
expanding, and the further an object (e.g. a galaxy) is away from us,
the faster it is moving away from us. Are there parts of space so far
away from us that it's expanding away from us *faster* than the speed
of light? From what I understand the speed of light limitation doesn't
apply to the expansion of space itself.

Therefore the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation isn't the cloak
that surrounds the secrets of the Big Bang, but just the curtain around
a part of the universe that is now out of contact with us. An endlessly
expanding universe sure, but one that never had a beginning?

Yousuf Khan

If we never know, does it matter?
Old August 25th 05, 02:41 AM
Androcles

"Charles" wrote in message
| On 24 Aug 2005 17:55:15 -0700, "Yousuf Khan"
| wrote:
|
| Here's a question that's been puzzling me. If the universe is
| expanding, and the further an object (e.g. a galaxy) is away from us,
| the faster it is moving away from us. Are there parts of space so far
| away from us that it's expanding away from us *faster* than the speed
| of light? From what I understand the speed of light limitation
doesn't
| apply to the expansion of space itself.
|
| Therefore the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation isn't the cloak
| that surrounds the secrets of the Big Bang, but just the curtain
around
| a part of the universe that is now out of contact with us. An
endlessly
| expanding universe sure, but one that never had a beginning?
|
| Yousuf Khan
|

| If we never know, does it matter?

To whom?

Androcles.

Old August 25th 05, 02:45 AM
Charles

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:41:00 GMT, "Androcles" Androcles@ MyPlace.org
wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message
.. .
| On 24 Aug 2005 17:55:15 -0700, "Yousuf Khan"
| wrote:
|
| Here's a question that's been puzzling me. If the universe is
| expanding, and the further an object (e.g. a galaxy) is away from us,
| the faster it is moving away from us. Are there parts of space so far
| away from us that it's expanding away from us *faster* than the speed
| of light? From what I understand the speed of light limitation
doesn't
| apply to the expansion of space itself.
|
| Therefore the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation isn't the cloak
| that surrounds the secrets of the Big Bang, but just the curtain
around
| a part of the universe that is now out of contact with us. An
endlessly
| expanding universe sure, but one that never had a beginning?
|
| Yousuf Khan
|

| If we never know, does it matter?

To whom?

Androcles.

us
Old August 25th 05, 02:48 AM
Nick

It still has a beginning.

Old August 25th 05, 03:27 AM
N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)

Dear Yousuf Khan:

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
ps.com...
Here's a question that's been puzzling me. If the universe is
expanding, and the further an object (e.g. a galaxy) is away
from us, the faster it is moving away from us.

Not really. The motion of the object is unsurprising when
compared to stars of the same age. Some of which were our
progenitors. So expansion of space doesn't involve "kinetic
motion" or mysterious "acceleration of mass". (Acceleration of
expansion is a different matter.)

Are there parts of space so far
away from us that it's expanding away from us *faster* than
the speed of light?

We expect so, yes.

From what I understand the speed of light limitation doesn't
apply to the expansion of space itself.

Correct, since the "endpoints of observation" are not local.

Therefore the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation isn't
the cloak that surrounds the secrets of the Big Bang,

It is believed to be, yes. Choose a different word than
"isn't"...

but just the curtain around
a part of the universe that is now out of contact with us. An
endlessly expanding universe sure, but one that never had
a beginning?

It is also expected to have had a beginning. The current
distribution of matter around us is not pure iron, which an
inifnite Universe would produce. Nor are there iron to hydrogen
conversion engines predicted or observable, with anywhere near
the amounts required.

http://alumni.imsa.edu/~mhoemmen/Topics/Hubble/
.... down to the paragraph after Lemaitre's "Big Bang" Theory
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/age.html
"Age of the Universe"
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/co...y_faq.html#OSC
"What about the oscillating Universe"
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmo_01.htm
.... and the tutorial

David A. Smith

Old August 25th 05, 03:36 AM
Sam Wormley

Yousuf Khan wrote:
Here's a question that's been puzzling me. If the universe is
expanding, and the further an object (e.g. a galaxy) is away from us,
the faster it is moving away from us. Are there parts of space so far
away from us that it's expanding away from us *faster* than the speed
of light? From what I understand the speed of light limitation doesn't
apply to the expansion of space itself.

Therefore the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation isn't the cloak
that surrounds the secrets of the Big Bang, but just the curtain around
a part of the universe that is now out of contact with us. An endlessly
expanding universe sure, but one that never had a beginning?

Yousuf Khan

Have a read for yourself for some current resources.

No Center
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/nocenter.html

Also see Ned Wright's Cosmology Tutorial
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmolog.htm
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html

WMAP: Foundations of the Big Bang theory
http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_uni.html

WMAP: Tests of Big Bang Cosmology
http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_uni/uni_101bbtest.html

Old August 25th 05, 03:51 AM
Kemchan

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
ps.com...
Here's a question that's been puzzling me. If the universe is
expanding, and the further an object (e.g. a galaxy) is away from us,
the faster it is moving away from us. Are there parts of space so far
away from us that it's expanding away from us *faster* than the speed
of light? From what I understand the speed of light limitation doesn't
apply to the expansion of space itself.

yes there are parts of the univ. we can't see...yet...the light hasn't had
time to reach us yet.

As to things moving faster than lgiht, well, yes and no, they might appear
to be moving faster than light but they are not really moving through space,
it is just that the space between us and them is getting bigger.

Old August 25th 05, 06:29 AM
Androcles

"Charles" wrote in message
| On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:41:00 GMT, "Androcles" Androcles@ MyPlace.org
| wrote:
|

| "Charles" wrote in message
| .. .
| | On 24 Aug 2005 17:55:15 -0700, "Yousuf Khan"
| | wrote:
| |
| | Here's a question that's been puzzling me. If the universe is
| | expanding, and the further an object (e.g. a galaxy) is away from
us,
| | the faster it is moving away from us. Are there parts of space so
far
| | away from us that it's expanding away from us *faster* than the
speed
| | of light? From what I understand the speed of light limitation
| doesn't
| | apply to the expansion of space itself.
| |
| | Therefore the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation isn't the
cloak
| | that surrounds the secrets of the Big Bang, but just the curtain
| around
| | a part of the universe that is now out of contact with us. An
| endlessly
| | expanding universe sure, but one that never had a beginning?
| |
| | Yousuf Khan
| |
| |
| | If we never know, does it matter?
|
| To whom?
|
| Androcles.
|

| us

I don't think Yousuf Khan is part of us, or he wouldn't be asking that
question.
Androcles