Spirit communication lost!

Old January 22nd 04, 11:24 PM
Carsten A. Arnholm

Subz wrote:
It's a long way to go for an Alt+Shft+Del. ;o)

Especially since it would need a Ctrl+Alt+Del |

Ca
Old January 22nd 04, 11:30 PM
Elysium Fossa

Anyone notice how the number of journalists at the daily press conferences
gradually dwindles, they loose interest very quickly At the time of landing
the room appeard full, then half full at the next conference - by the time
Spirit rolled off the lander and started its science mission on the surface
there were about half a dozen dedicated journalists. Now we have some "bad"
news, whats the betting it will be full again tomorrow.

Old January 23rd 04, 12:35 AM
Martin

"Elysium Fossa" wrote in message
Anyone notice how the number of journalists at the daily press conferences
gradually dwindles, they loose interest very quickly At the time of

landing
the room appeard full, then half full at the next conference - by the time
Spirit rolled off the lander and started its science mission on the

surface
there were about half a dozen dedicated journalists. Now we have some

"bad"
news, whats the betting it will be full again tomorrow.

Yes and guess what? The good old BBC are now running it on Radio as one of
their top stories. I can't wait to see how they manage to wangle some anti
American/George Bush crap into the story as well.

Martin

Old January 23rd 04, 01:02 AM
Alan the Horse

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:19:51 +0200, Anthony Ayiomamitis
wrote:

If I were you I'd find another news source less likely to indulge in
hyperbole, or did you add that yourself...

Let's try CNN ...

Home Page: "NASA can't communicate with Mars Spirit rover" ....
http://www.cnn.com/
Follow-up link: "NASA unable to comminicate with Mars rover" ...
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/0...act/index.html

Again,

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/status.html

did NOT announce "Spirit communication lost!" as you have asserted.
You posted a misrepresentation of their coverage, and then went out
and grabbed a sensationalist CNN headline to back up your false
assertion. Bad monkey.

The latest word from NASA, as reported on Space Flight Now, is ""We
are cautiously encouraged," JPL director Charles Elachi said...."

Old January 23rd 04, 01:18 AM
Martin Frey

Greg Crinklaw wrote:

The news media is well known for it's imprecise wording and hyperbole.
It is the data that was lost, not contact and not communication.

It's beagled, but not totally beagled

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old January 23rd 04, 02:55 AM
Michael

I did notice that wednesdays nc the journo's asked a lot of good questions,
whereas the daybefore the journo's present asked very few questions.
Good news though that Spirit is in a safe mode. Lets all hope she recovers.

http://mars.telascience.org/
Join in chat at #maestro on irc.freenode.net #ukweather on Undernet and
#usweather on Austnet.
K2MAH
Old January 23rd 04, 03:19 AM
Greg Crinklaw

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:
Some of the images I have seen so far have been something else. It would
be a real shame to have it come to an end so quickly.

Ain't that the truth, particularly before they had the chance to sample
more rocks to answer the question, "Are there more than one type of rock
present?" and to take some images from the edge of that nearby crater.

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools Software for the Observer:
http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html

Skyhound Observing Pages:
http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html

Old January 23rd 04, 03:19 AM
Peterson, David

I was just thinking... and came up with a possible theory of what
happened to Spirit. (though very doubtful I'm correct)

First a few facts I put together...
1) The last communication session on the High Gain Antenna (HGA)
didn't work real well. They said the data was ratty and blamed it on
storms in Australia and possible DSN pointing errors. (I think they
used the HGA, its not 100% clear though)
2) The only mechanical device scheduled to be moved on Spirit during
the time the anomaly occurred was the HGA.
3) The HGA had current spikes the first day on mars that engineers
were worried about, but these went away.
4) Spirit is currently in safe-mode due to either a hardware or
software anomaly.

I wonder if the HGA was having problems on the last comm session and
that's why the data quality was poor. And maybe later in the day when
the rover tried to move the HGA, it stuck and drew large amounts of
current.

My only question is, would high current on the HGA put the whole
system into "safe mode"?
Old January 23rd 04, 03:32 AM
John

Can't read your message. Try again. I believe the Martians got it.
"Anthony Ayiomamitis" wrote in message
******

****************************

*******************************

********

Old January 23rd 04, 03:36 AM
Darin Boville

"Elysium Fossa" wrote in message ...
Anyone notice how the number of journalists at the daily press conferences
gradually dwindles, they loose interest very quickly At the time of landing
the room appeard full, then half full at the next conference - by the time
Spirit rolled off the lander and started its science mission on the surface
there were about half a dozen dedicated journalists. Now we have some "bad"
news, whats the betting it will be full again tomorrow.

Of course, "news" is different than "information"--there is very
little news appropriate for wide dissemination on most days--that
doesn't mean people aren't interested and aren't waiting for more
news! It doesn't mean they don't care...

--Darin

Darin Boville
Fine Art Photography and Video
www.darinboville.com