Sky at Night: Who best to take over from Patrick Moore

Old April 21st 12, 08:08 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
James Harris[_2_]

Default Sky at Night: Who best to take over from Patrick Moore

Patrick Moore is a bit of an institution but can't go on forever. I
wondered what other people think of who would be best to replace him
as lead presenter of The Sky at Night.

I know that it's sometimes easier to comment on individuals than to
pick out a name so I've made a list below of people who have appeared.
Maybe you have comments on each of them. I wonder if it would be
possible to come up with a consensus. Unlikely but who knows.

The list is in alphabetical order of surname so does not imply any
preference on my part. Of course, some are more likely than others but
the list represents all those I can think of. If you watch The Sky at
Night what do you think of them?

Paul Abel

Brian Cox

Michelle Dougherty

Pete Lawrence

Chris Lintott

Brian May

Chris North

John Zarnecki

Are there any others I have missed who should be considered?

I have my own opinions, of course, but I'd like to see what other
people think. Any you would rule out? Should there be a rotating
presenter? ... Not a reference to Patrick's swivel chair. :-)

James
Old April 21st 12, 11:37 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Dave Liquorice[_3_]

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:08:28 -0700 (PDT), James Harris wrote:

Are there any others I have missed who should be considered?

Helen Czerski

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old April 22nd 12, 11:22 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
N_Cook

Dave Liquorice wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:08:28 -0700 (PDT), James Harris wrote:

Are there any others I have missed who should be considered?

Helen
--
Cheers
Dave.

A non-astronomer is no bad thing, avoids the rather faux double act of Paul
Abel (good TV presence so must be high in the list) and Pete Lawrence both
very knowledgeable on the subject.
Czerski with good TV presence and a science background probably a good
contender
I did not realise she was local - I'll have to try and get her to give a
talk on the science of bubbles to the Southamton Sci caf group
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/scicaf.htm
Any central South Coast atronomers could give a talk? its been a while
since the talk on the CMB

Old April 22nd 12, 12:59 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Quornhog

Has everybody forgotten Heather Couper and Alex Lovell?

On 22/04/2012 11:22, N_Cook wrote:
Dave wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
Old April 24th 12, 09:40 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Quornhog

And then there's always Jon Culshaw:

"Good evening. I am the Doctor and you're watching 'The Sky at Night'.
See those stars? I've been to them!"

Just a thought...

On 22/04/2012 12:59, Quornhog wrote:
Has everybody forgotten Heather Couper and Alex Lovell?

On 22/04/2012 11:22, N_Cook wrote:
ll.co.uk...

Old April 24th 12, 11:15 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
N_Cook

Quornhog wrote in message
And then there's always Jon Culshaw:

"Good evening. I am the Doctor and you're watching 'The Sky at Night'.
See those stars? I've been to them!"

Just a thought...

On 22/04/2012 12:59, Quornhog wrote:
Has everybody forgotten Heather Couper and Alex Lovell?

On 22/04/2012 11:22, N_Cook wrote:
Dave wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

Or even Darra O'Brien after that programme from Jodrell Bank a few months
back .
And his spot-on quip relating to the LHC supraluminal neutrinos and his
request to viewers of the programme , currently in the future, to email back
to confirm the phenomenon

Old April 30th 12, 07:59 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,alt.astronomy
James Harris[_2_]

On Apr 21, 8:08*pm, James Harris wrote:

Cross-posting this to a wider group as The Sky at Night is known in
other countries. If you watch the show would you care to express an
opinion on the following?

[...]

Additional names suggested in uk.sci.astronomy:

Heather Couper

Helen Czerski

Alex Lovell

Dara O'Briain

So, any opinions on who should take over from Patrick?

James

Old May 1st 12, 12:17 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,alt.astronomy
Al[_8_]

"James Harris" wrote:

Patrick Moore is a bit of an institution but can't go on forever. I
wondered what other people think of who would be best to replace him
as lead presenter of The Sky at Night.

The guy is irreplaceable; the S@N format of an old geezer in his study does
not suit anyone else. The show will likely die with him, to be replaced by a
completely new show with a more modern style of presentation.

Old May 2nd 12, 09:38 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Dr J R Stockton[_159_]

In uk.sci.astronomy message 87e6a637-6fc4-4502-983d-f4ef783694f4@h9g200
0yqe.googlegroups.com, Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:08:28, James Harris
posted:

Patrick Moore is a bit of an institution but can't go on forever. I
wondered what other people think of who would be best to replace him
as lead presenter of The Sky at Night.

The job should become an /ex officio/ duty jointly of the Astronomer
Royal and the Astronomer Royal for Scotland, with power to delegate up
to half of the work to other British astronomers of high public status.

If it should please Her Majesty to appoint Astronomers Royal for Wales
and for Northern Ireland, then they too should join in on equitable
footings.

A slot should be reserved for the Royal Astronomer of Ireland, to be
ready should the post be revived.

And if elsewhere in the world there are other Astronomers Royal,
appertaining to the same or different Monarchs, then they should be
invited, if they will be in the UK at the time, to co-lead with a
British Astronomer Royal.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms and links;

The Sky at Night with Sir Patrick Moo Watch it online! Uncle Bob Amateur Astronomy 5 May 18th 05 07:52 PM
Where's Patrick Moore? Rupert Goodwins UK Astronomy 52 July 22nd 04 07:33 AM
Sir Patrick Moore... Graham W UK Astronomy 7 June 6th 04 10:12 PM
Patrick Moore Dave UK Astronomy 2 September 20th 03 02:52 PM
Sir Patrick Moore john m bell UK Astronomy 8 September 4th 03 02:42 PM