Niburu (don't start shooting just yet)

Old February 21st 11, 02:48 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mark Murphy

Default Niburu (don't start shooting just yet)

Hi all,

I wonder if someone might help me settle something?
I've heard a lot of theories about a brown dwarf star in our solar
system or there about's.
Some are more crackpot than others.

But one chap got my attention when he gave coords for "something" and
used Google Earth Sky to look for it.
The area was blanked out, which was interesting.

I used to be into astronomy a long time ago but gave up due to the
cost of decent gear.

I wonder if anyone might have access to something capable of seeing
this region of space.

The coords are 5h 53m 27s -6 10' 58

I believe this area was photographed from the Southern Hemisphere so
maybe it's not
visable here.

If anyone has a facility to photograph this area please post a picture
as I'm fascinated to see what's there (if anything.)

Old February 21st 11, 10:19 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Martin Brown

On 21/02/2011 17:53, Norbert wrote:
Mark Murphy nous a donc écrit :

Hi all,

I wonder if someone might help me settle something?
I've heard a lot of theories about a brown dwarf star in our solar
system or there about's.
Some are more crackpot than others.

But one chap got my attention when he gave coords for "something" and
used Google Earth Sky to look for it.
The area was blanked out, which was interesting.

I used to be into astronomy a long time ago but gave up due to the
cost of decent gear.

I wonder if anyone might have access to something capable of seeing
this region of space.

The coords are 5h 53m 27s -6 10' 58

I believe this area was photographed from the Southern Hemisphere so
maybe it's not
visable here.

This area is in the Barnard's loop, on the West of Orion.
Many IR and variable stars, from my sky software, nothing particular.

You should be able to find the Palomar sky survey plates online. eg

http://archive.stsci.edu/cgi-bin/dss...fov=N ONE&v3=

It is an unexceptional field of view. If you look hard you should be
able to find a few other digitised images at other epochs and align
blink them to look for anything that moves.

If anyone has a facility to photograph this area please post a picture
as I'm fascinated to see what's there (if anything.)

Anyway, I doubt that a brown dwarf star appears on a standard picture.
You would need an infra-red picture of this place.

And I doubt very much that there is anything interesting there. Jocelyn
Bell-Burnell did her Faraday medal lecture for the Royal Society on the
strange beliefs of cults expecting the end of the world in 2012/12/12
due to Mayan calendar roll over. My money is on the mutant star goat.

Titled:
The end of the world in 2012? Science communication and science scares

One thing she did wryly observe was that doomsday cults require a
certain gestation period between announced dates, and that even failure
of the event to happen only strengthens the belief of their adherents.

Niburu was for the record the only one that could be easily ruled out as
a possibility for TEOTW 2012/12/12 on observational grounds.

It is available online at:

http://royalsociety.tv/dpx_royalsoci...v12&pre s=521

(hopefully this will bypass their invalid site security certificates)

I hope that the edited version has slides synced to the talk which was
not the case of the live webcast. RSC made a much better fist of it with
the immediately following lecture on history of psychedelic drugs.

Regards,
Martin Brown

NASA shooting? Danny Deger Space Shuttle 12 April 24th 07 09:45 PM
NASA shooting? Danny Deger Space Station 11 April 24th 07 09:45 PM
Less shooting Stars?? G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 18 October 12th 06 01:00 AM
Shooting star? Passero Misc 21 January 27th 04 05:23 AM
shooting star? Diem Sellers Solar 2 July 3rd 03 05:12 AM