Very bright object....

Old December 24th 05, 05:04 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default Very bright object....

Hi,

Not hugely experienced at this but would imagine someone in here will
have no problem telling me what the very bright object in the west sky
is at the moment? probably about 45degrees. I am in Scotland if that
makes any difference.

Regards

John
Old December 24th 05, 05:32 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Jonni wrote:

Not hugely experienced at this but would imagine someone in here will
have no problem telling me what the very bright object in the west sky
is at the moment? probably about 45degrees. I am in Scotland if that
makes any difference.

Mmm - it would be nice to give an exact time and location with a fairly
good description of where in the sky the object was. (altitude and
azimuth) However what you are possibly seeing could be either Vega,
Altair of Deneb - being the three brightest objects currently in the
Western Scottish skies. Either that or if the object has a reddish
glow it could be Santa's sleigh.

Eugene Griessel

Old December 24th 05, 05:40 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Jonni wrote:

Not hugely experienced at this but would imagine someone in here will
have no problem telling me what the very bright object in the west sky
is at the moment? probably about 45degrees. I am in Scotland if that
makes any difference.

Venus.
Do a search for a freeware/shareware sky viewing program, and you can
then use that to identify stars and planets easily.
The red of Mars is also clearly visible now, around 30 degrees
anticlockwise from Venus, at a height of around 45degees.
Alan.
Old December 24th 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

have no problem telling me what the very bright object in the west sky is
at the moment?

Venus

i did try to get an image last night but my webcam is a bit crappy and
dosn't really do the cresent much justice :-( first attpempt at webcam
imaging though

http://www.ukrocketry.com/astro/venu...dec%202005.jpg

Merry Christmas all

Damian
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO
EARS 1115
http://www.ukrocketry.com
http://www.larf-rocketry.co.uk

LARF - Putting the amateur back in rocketry!!

m...

Old December 24th 05, 06:14 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Taken three weeks ago when the moon was just a few days old.
Cambriedgeshire.

http://www.itadvice.co.uk/weatherjac...Moon&Venus.jpg

Jack

Old December 24th 05, 07:25 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

wrote:
Taken three weeks ago when the moon was just a few days old.
Cambriedgeshire.

http://www.itadvice.co.uk/weatherjac...Moon&Venus.jpg

Jack

Many Thanks for reponding folks, I actually suspected it was Venus, she
will be impressed that I was correct!. Maybe I'll take this up as a hobby.

Alan - can you suggest any particular software I could\should look for?

Thanks
Old December 24th 05, 07:43 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

" Alan - can you suggest any particular software I could\should look for?

I use HNSky but there are many more, Cartes du Ciel, Winstars etc.
http://www.hnsky.org/
The cover discs on Sky at night magazine have also had several.
jc

Old December 24th 05, 08:13 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Jonni wrote:
wrote:

Taken three weeks ago when the moon was just a few days old.
Cambriedgeshire.

http://www.itadvice.co.uk/weatherjac...Moon&Venus.jpg

Jack

Many Thanks for reponding folks, I actually suspected it was Venus, she
will be impressed that I was correct!. Maybe I'll take this up as a hobby.

Alan - can you suggest any particular software I could\should look for?

Thanks

http://stellarium.sourceforge.net/

Stellarium is free GPL software which renders realistic skies in real
time with openGL.
With Stellarium, you really see what you can see with your eyes,
binoculars or a small telescope.
Old December 24th 05, 08:34 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

"john carruthers" wrote in
:

I use HNSky but there are many more, Cartes du Ciel, Winstars etc.
http://www.hnsky.org/

Cartes du Ciel (Skycharts) http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/

A bit quirky but very good - also does artificial satellites and Iridiums

mike
Old December 24th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Jonni wrote:
wrote:

Taken three weeks ago when the moon was just a few days old.
Cambriedgeshire.

http://www.itadvice.co.uk/weatherjac...Moon&Venus.jpg

Jack

Many Thanks for reponding folks, I actually suspected it was Venus, she
will be impressed that I was correct!. Maybe I'll take this up as a hobby.

Alan - can you suggest any particular software I could\should look for?

Thanks

Stellarium (google for it) is a very nice repro of the sky as you
see it outside.(and it lookes nice as well).Thre are bigger packages,
but for a quick peek at what you just saw outside,its very nice.
It even gives you the twilight glow of the sky.