5x antares barlow

Old November 19th 05, 05:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default 5x antares barlow

Does anybody know if the 5x Antares barlow lens is a good one? I would
like to purchase a Powermate 5x, but it outside my budget for now.
Given the price difference between the Antares and the Powermate it is
quite obvious that the two lenses are of very different quality. The
question is: am I going to waste my money buying the Antares?

Are there other 5x barlows out there that I should consider?

Thanks!

Old November 19th 05, 06:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Just buy from a dealer with a good return policy. If the Antares barlow is
a doublet it seems rather high magnification.

JD
Old November 19th 05, 06:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"JD" wrote in message ...
Just buy from a dealer with a good return policy. If the Antares barlow is
a doublet it seems rather high magnification.

One vendor http://www.meridiantelescopes.com/barlow.htm has it
listed as a 3 element with an 18mm vs the typical 27mm clear
aperture.
--

Hilton Evans
Lon -71° 04' 35.3"

Old November 19th 05, 06:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Max" wrote in message ups.com...
Does anybody know if the 5x Antares barlow lens is a good one? I would
like to purchase a Powermate 5x, but it outside my budget for now.
Given the price difference between the Antares and the Powermate it is
quite obvious that the two lenses are of very different quality. The
question is: am I going to waste my money buying the Antares?

Are there other 5x barlows out there that I should consider?

If you do buy one, please do write a review
for Cloudy Nights or post one here.