"marplot"

Old June 8th 05, 06:08 PM
Twittering One

Default "marplot"

The Word of the Day for May 31 is:

marplot =B7 \MAHR-plaht\=B7 noun
: one who frustrates or ruins a plan or undertaking by meddling

Example sentence:
"What is the use of my taking the vows and settling everything as it
should be, if that marplot Hans comes and upsets it all?" (George
Eliot, Daniel Deronda)

Did you know?
Beginning in the 17th century, people liked to prefix "mar-" to nouns
to create a term for someone who mars, or spoils, something. A mar-joy
was bad enough, but even worse was a mar-all. Although today the word
"plot" often carries an implication of secrecy or ill intent, the
"plot" used in the formation of "marplot" simply meant "a plan for the
accomplishment of something." A marplot, therefore, can really mess up
a perfectly good thing. The word may not have been invented by English
playwright Susannah Centlivre, but it first surfaces in print in her
1709 play The BusyBody. That title refers to a character named Marplot,
who misguidedly gets in the way of the lovers in the play.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/mwwodarch.pl?May.31

Old June 8th 05, 06:31 PM
Twittering One

[Marigram marigold mariniere marjoram market Markov
chain marmalade tree marmot
maroon marron glace
Marsala]

Old June 8th 05, 09:18 PM
Double-A

Twittering One wrote:
[Marigram marigold mariniere marjoram market Markov
chain marmalade tree marmot
maroon marron glace
Marsala]

Ah Marsala! Have you tried? Sweet and syrupy, just like love.

Not to mar your reputation, not to compete in a black mark tournament,
nor fight the battle of the Marne.

I used to feed the marsupials at my doorstep.

Double-A

Old June 8th 05, 10:45 PM
Raving Loonie

Double-A wrote:
Twittering One wrote:
[Marigram marigold mariniere marjoram market Markov
chain marmalade tree marmot
maroon marron glace
Marsala]

Ah Marsala! Have you tried? Sweet and syrupy, just like love.

Not to mar your reputation, not to compete in a black mark tournament,
nor fight the battle of the Marne.

I used to feed the marsupials at my doorstep.

Double-A

[ Quoting from http://tinyurl.com/bzpth ]

....The only naturally occurring marsupial in the United States is the
possum, Didelphis marsupialis. In the past, however, marsupials were
quite common. During the Mesozoic marsupials were very common in North
America; more common, in fact, than placental mammals. They persisted
here until the mid- to late- Tertiary. ...

[ end quote ]

Is a possum, a troll ?
... or has Double-A done a stint down-under ?

The 'Innuendo' is unintended yet once discovered is too amusing to
discard.
... sorry

RL

Old June 8th 05, 11:23 PM
Double-A

Raving Loonie wrote:
Double-A wrote:
Twittering One wrote:
[...]

I have a photo of a Raccoon facing off with a possum on my back patio
in a competition for food!

New mammalian against old mammalian!

Darwin would be proud!

Double-A

Old June 8th 05, 11:50 PM
Double-A

Twittering One wrote:
[Marigram marigold mariniere marjoram market Markov
chain marmalade tree marmot
maroon marron glace
Marsala]

Marsala, sweet as summer love,