Number of sun like stars in galaxy?

Old March 26th 04, 05:29 AM
aquablue

Default Number of sun like stars in galaxy?

How many sun like stars are in this galaxy -- on average?

Thx
alan

Old March 26th 04, 05:56 AM
Kilolani

"aquablue" wrote in message
How many sun like stars are in this galaxy -- on average?

Since we only have one galaxy, I'm not sure what you mean by "on average,"
but I'm going to venture a hypothesis here that in any event we really don't
know. Heck, you can't even get a straight number from the experts for the
number of stars (of any sort) in our galaxy. I suspect a lot of this has to
do with the fact that we can't see most of our galaxy (i.e., everything at
the galactic core and beyond) due to the obscuring dust clouds.

Old March 26th 04, 06:28 PM
aquablue

the reason I ask is: marcy says that she estimates that 12% of sun like
stars would have a similar solar system arangement to ours -- thus may have
capacity for earth like planets harboring life.

"Kilolani" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old March 26th 04, 06:59 PM
Rick

"aquablue" wrote in message ...
the reason I ask is: marcy says that she estimates that 12% of sun like
stars would have a similar solar system arangement to ours -- thus may have
capacity for earth like planets harboring life.

That's about right, according to all the estimates I've seen
(which have ranged from 10-12%). The percentage may be
higher because large portions of the Milky Way are blocked
from our view, and because we currently have somewhat
myopic definitions of "sun-like stars" and "earth-like planets".

Rick

Old March 26th 04, 09:04 PM
eyelessgame

"aquablue" wrote in message ...
How many sun like stars are in this galaxy -- on average?

Thx
alan

I assume you mean "at a guess".

The galaxy has roughly a hundred billion stars. (All these numbers
could be off by a factor of 2 or so. Take with a grain of salt.)

You'd have to define what's meant by "sun-like star". The number of
F, G, K main sequence non-multiple-system stars that are between .75
and 1.25 solar masses is probably something like two percent of the
stars in the galaxy. So roughly a billion, give or take. It's much
more likely to be 10^9 than 10^10 or 10^8, anyway.

Old March 26th 04, 11:15 PM
Rick

"aquablue" wrote in message

How many sun like stars are in this galaxy -- on average?

Thx
alan

I assume you mean "at a guess".

The galaxy has roughly a hundred billion stars. (All these numbers
could be off by a factor of 2 or so. Take with a grain of salt.)

You'd have to define what's meant by "sun-like star". The number of
F, G, K main sequence non-multiple-system stars that are between .75
and 1.25 solar masses is probably something like two percent of the
stars in the galaxy. So roughly a billion, give or take. It's much
more likely to be 10^9 than 10^10 or 10^8, anyway.

A multiple-star system does not preclude the existence of
Earth-like planets, it just makes the existence of Earth-like
planets a little less probable (and we're not even sure about
that much!). Some believe our own sun is part of a
multiple-star system with Alpha Centauri.

Rick

Old March 27th 04, 12:13 AM
Gypsy Baron

aquablue wrote:

pity--so few... that sucks for chances of life

Well, multiply that by 100 billion...the approximate number
of galaxies and the prospects improve...

Paul
Old March 27th 04, 08:21 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Rick
writes
"aquablue" wrote in message

You'd have to define what's meant by "sun-like star". The number of
F, G, K main sequence non-multiple-system stars that are between .75
and 1.25 solar masses is probably something like two percent of the
stars in the galaxy. So roughly a billion, give or take. It's much
more likely to be 10^9 than 10^10 or 10^8, anyway.

A multiple-star system does not preclude the existence of
Earth-like planets, it just makes the existence of Earth-like
planets a little less probable (and we're not even sure about
that much!). Some believe our own sun is part of a
multiple-star system with Alpha Centauri.

How so? It's four light years away. On that basis _every_ star is part
of a multiple star system, because they are about that far apart.
--
Save the Hubble Space Telescope!
Old March 27th 04, 09:17 AM
Rick

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote in message ...
In message , Rick
writes
"aquablue" wrote in message

You'd have to define what's meant by "sun-like star". The number of
F, G, K main sequence non-multiple-system stars that are between .75
and 1.25 solar masses is probably something like two percent of the
stars in the galaxy. So roughly a billion, give or take. It's much
more likely to be 10^9 than 10^10 or 10^8, anyway.

A multiple-star system does not preclude the existence of
Earth-like planets, it just makes the existence of Earth-like
planets a little less probable (and we're not even sure about
that much!). Some believe our own sun is part of a
multiple-star system with Alpha Centauri.

How so? It's four light years away. On that basis _every_ star is part
of a multiple star system, because they are about that far apart.

From what I've read, some astronomers believe our sun
and the Alpha Centauri system revolve around each other.
That would make our sun part of a multiple star system,
technically if not practically.

Rick