Meade SC8: Advice needed

Old September 11th 03, 10:26 AM
Ahab

Default Meade SC8: Advice needed

Hi all,

I was thinking of upgrading to a Meade LXD-55 SC8.

Has anyone got any advice as whether they are a good scope or not. I have
read a few reports of autostar failing and the motor drives failing.

Thanks in advance.

--
Ahab

Old September 11th 03, 05:29 PM
Bobsprit

I was thinking of upgrading to a Meade LXD-55 SC8.

Has anyone got any advice as whether they are a good scope or not. I have
read a few reports of autostar failing and the motor drives failing.

Meade has the best ads. Celestron makes the better scopes.
Don't be fooled.

Capt RB

Old September 12th 03, 02:57 AM
Ahab

ok..I'll check them out.

Whats the Celstron equivalent to Meade LXD-55 SC8 I wonder ?

--
Ahab

Old September 12th 03, 11:29 AM
Roger Hamlett

"Ahab" wrote in message
Hi all,

I was thinking of upgrading to a Meade LXD-55 SC8.

Has anyone got any advice as whether they are a good scope or not. I have
read a few reports of autostar failing and the motor drives failing.

Thanks in advance.

The LXD55 family, have a lot of 'QA' problems (probably the worst of any
range of scopes Meade have ever produced). The 10", is oversize for the
mount. The 8" is 'borderline'. If you can get a good example, then it is
great value for money, but there seem to be more 'lemons', than 'peaches' in
the crop...

Best Wishes

Old September 12th 03, 08:11 PM
Jeroen Smaal

"Ahab" wrote in message
ok..I'll check them out.

Whats the Celstron equivalent to Meade LXD-55 SC8 I wonder ?

--
Ahab

Probably the C8-SGT:

http://www.celestron.com/prod_pgs/tel/c8sgt.htm