red moving stars

Old August 21st 03, 11:08 AM
Alpha Star

Default red moving stars

(R R) wrote in message ...
anyone ever seen these stars that appear as red turn bright yellow and
then appear as white the rd again , and then move around ?
i thought these were stars but someone told me they were satellites .
what are they anybody ever seen them ?

Though I am not very sure of what you mean, yes you can see satellites
at night when you look up in to the sky. Though when satellites are
moving across the sky, the do not change colors and are gone from your
view within a few minutes depending on how fast the satellite was
going. Though a few months ago as a satellite passed through Australia
many people saw and Aridian Flash. This is when the large bars on the
sides of the satellite face the sun; they shine more than 50 times the
brightness of the brightest star Sirius. It shines towards the earth
giving the large flash This will only last for a few seconds though
and will not happen for another long.

If the thing you saw was a star it would NOT keep changing color.
Because of the Earths atmosphere it only allows us to see the basic
colors with the human eye. Most stars appear white in the sky and
something to do with the earths atmosphere makes them seem to sparkle.
Only rarely will you see a star that looks red or yellow, if you do
these are most likely very close stars or planets.

FACT CENTER: Cats are the only ones that can see green stars in the
sky, and yes there are green stars it's just that the human can't see
it because of the light spectrum.

SARA 14
Old August 23rd 03, 03:54 AM
Jh

I think i know what you are refering to . My guess is because of
ongoing solar activity. You can keep up with it at spaceweather.com.
Try watching when activity subsides. I have seen changes like that while
veiwing mars. There are color changes and poor images.

JOHN H.