PBS program got number of stars wrong?

Old March 7th 08, 05:51 PM posted to sci.astro
Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t

Default PBS program got number of stars wrong?

On a program on PBS-station KQED (9) in San Francisco by Daniel Amen Clinics
"Change your brain, change your life"
he made the claim that there are 100 billion cells in your brain,
more than all the stars in the whole Universe. It was my
understanding that our own galaxy has already appx. 500 million
stars, surely more than 100 billion, and there are hundreds of
billions of *galaxies* in the visible Universe. Who is correct,
Daniel or Robert?
Old March 7th 08, 08:22 PM posted to sci.astro
Mike Dworetsky

"Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t" wrote in
message ...
On a program on PBS-station KQED (9) in San Francisco by Daniel Amen
Clinics
"Change your brain, change your life"
he made the claim that there are 100 billion cells in your brain,
more than all the stars in the whole Universe. It was my
understanding that our own galaxy has already appx. 500 million
stars, surely more than 100 billion, and there are hundreds of
billions of *galaxies* in the visible Universe. Who is correct,
Daniel or Robert?

The number of stars in the Milky Way Galaxy is of the order of 100 billion,
perhaps double that or more, due to the uncertain large number of low mass
stars. I think Kippenhahn's book on astronomy of stars and the galaxy was
titled "A Hundred Billion Stars" in English.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Old March 8th 08, 01:23 AM posted to sci.astro
BradGuth

On Mar 7, 9:51 am, (Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t)
wrote:
On a program on PBS-station KQED (9) in San Francisco by Daniel Amen Clinics
"Change your brain, change your life"
he made the claim that there are 100 billion cells in your brain,
more than all the stars in the whole Universe. It was my
understanding that our own galaxy has already appx. 500 million
stars, surely more than 100 billion, and there are hundreds of
billions of *galaxies* in the visible Universe. Who is correct,
Daniel or Robert?

PBS has also published or otherwise promoted multiple times that we've
walked on the moon. Go figure.
.. - Brad Guth
Old March 9th 08, 02:35 AM posted to sci.astro
Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t

Oops, I must have been tired when I posted, that I made a stupid
typo and didn't notice it until today:

From: (Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t)
On a program on PBS-station KQED (9) in San Francisco by Daniel Amen Clinics
"Change your brain, change your life"
he made the claim that there are 100 billion cells in your brain,
more than all the stars in the whole Universe. It was my
understanding that our own galaxy has already appx. 500 [m]illion

stars, surely more than 100 billion, and there are hundreds of
billions of *galaxies* in the visible Universe. Who is correct,
Daniel or Robert?

Addenda, the 500 billion estimate might include brown dwarfs, I
don't know. I seem to recall estimates of 100 billion stars many
years ago, upped to 500 billion stars recently, but I'm not sure.