ASTRO: NGC 2366

Old March 16th 09, 05:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 2366

NGC 2366 is a much ignored, dwarf galaxy, in the M81 group. Why it
doesn't get more attention from amateur astro imagers I don't
understand. While it is a strange galaxy it isn't strange enough to make
Arp's list. It is located in the constellation of Camelopardalis. It
is a pair of galaxies. The tiny one is NGC 2363. Both are about 10
million light years away so in our back yard. Massive star formation is
going on in both galaxies. Two huge star clusters have formed in the
star forming region of NGC 2366. Their blue light completely
overwhelmed my filters so the red color of the ionized hydrogen is
pretty well lost though small regions in other areas of the galaxy are
very obvious. I had better luck with the companion where the star
cluster didn't saturate my system. Note the HII region ends with a
shock wave at the northeast (upper left) end of the pink nebula. This
likely is created by the light pressure of the super hot blue stars in
the cluster and possibly a supernova or two. Whether this is really a
separate galaxy or just part of NGC 2366 seems unknown as yet. Many
years ago Hubble took a great shot of the star forming regions that are
so blown out in my image.
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/arc...96/31/image/a/

The obvious galaxy "in" NGC 2366 above the star forming region is 2MASX
J07284539+6912186 but I couldn't find anything on it. Though it likely
resides hundreds of millions of light years beyond NGC 2366. There are
dozens of anonymous, even more distant, galaxies in the image.

14" LX200R, L=4x10' Ha=1x30' RGB=2x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC2366L4X10HA1X30RGB2X10X3R1.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	2359
Old March 21st 09, 10:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

I also found the big "knots" in NGC 2366 to be predominantly blue, I didn't
get good enough colour data to show the smaller HII regions.
There is very good detail in the HII regions in your image.

Stefan

ster.com...