Daily #4061

Old March 2nd 06, 02:37 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble

Default Daily #4061

DAILY REPORT #4061

PERIOD COVERED: UT March 01, 2006 (DOY 060)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/HRC/SBC 10373

ACS UV Calibration Monitor and SBC Dark Current

A standard star field {NGC6681} is observed twice during cycle 13,
alternating between after and before annealing operations, through all
the ACS broad band UV filters. NGC6681 hosts several UV spectro -
photometric standard stars for which accurate spectra have been {and
will continue to be} measured. Four SBC dark current exposures taken
as the last exposure of each SBC sequence.

ACS/HRC/WFC 10729

ACS CCDs daily monitor

This program consists of a set of basic tests to monitor, the read
noise, the development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise
in ACS CCD detectors. The files, biases and dark will be used to
create reference files for science calibration. This programme will be
for the entire lifetime of ACS. Changes from cycle 13:- The default
gain for WFC is 2 e-/DN. As before bias frames will be collected for
both gain 1 and gain 2. Dark frames are acquired using the default
gain {2}. This program cover the period Oct, 2 2005- May, 29-2006. The
second half of the program has a different proposal number: 10758.

ACS/WFC 10515

The Unique Star Cluster System of M85

Even with its long history as one of the pillars of modern astronomy,
the study of star clusters has continued to reveal new and surprising
things. Over the past decade, numerous programs with HST have shown
that extragalactic star clusters powerfully probe the processes of
galactic formation, evolution, and destruction. The diversity of star
cluster systems is a testament to the rich variation in galaxy
properties. During the course of the ACS Virgo Cluster Survey, we have
discovered that the early-type galaxy M85 has a system of star
clusters unlike any other galaxy studied to date. Hundreds of star
clusters in M85 are fainter and more extended than typical globular
clusters, and have no local analog. We propose deep optical- infrared
imaging with ACS and NICMOS to obtain ages, metallicities,
luminosities, and sizes of unprecedented precision to characterize
these new star clusters and unravel the evolutionary state of M85 that
gave rise to them.

ACS/WFC 10543

Microlensing in M87 and the Virgo Cluster

Resolving the nature of dark matter is an urgent problem. The results
of the MACHO survey of the Milky Way dark halo toward the LMC indicate
that a significant fraction of the halo consists of stellar mass
objects. The VATT/Columbia survey of M31 finds a similar lens fraction
in the M31 dark halo. We propose a series of observations with ACS
that will provide the most thorough search for microlensing toward
M87, the central elliptical galaxy of the Virgo cluster. This program
is optimized for lenses in the mass range from 0.01 to 1.0 solar
masses. By comparing with archival data, we can detect lenses as
massive as 100 solar masses, such as the remnants of the first stars.
These observations will have at least 15 times more sensitivity to
microlensing than any previous survey, e.g. using WFPC2. This is due
to the factor of 2 larger area, factor of more than 4 more sensitivity
in the I-band, superior pixel scale and longer baseline of
observations. Based on the halo microlensing results in the Milky Way
and M31, we might expect that galaxy collisions and stripping would
populate the overall cluster halo with a large number of stellar mass
objects. This program would determine definitively if such objects
compose the cluster dark matter at the level seen in the Milky Way. A
negative result would indicate that such objects do not populate the
intracluster medium, and may indicate that galaxy harassment is not as
vigorous as expected. We can measure the level of events due to the
M87 halo: this would be the best exploration to date of such a lens
population in an elliptical galaxy. Star-star lensing should also be
detectable. About 20 erupting classical novae will be seen, allowing
to determine the definitive nova rate for this giant elliptical
galaxy. We will determine if our recent HST detection of an M87
globular cluster nova was a fluke, or indicative of a 100x higher rate
of incidence of cataclysmic variables and nova eruptions in globulars
than previously believed. We will examine the populations of variable
stars, and will be able to cleanly separate them from microlensing.

ACS/WFC 10775

An ACS Survey of Galactic Globular Clusters

We propose to conduct an ACS/WFC imaging survey of Galactic globular
clusters. We will construct the most extensive and deepest set of
photometry and astrometry to-date for these systems reaching a main
sequence mass of ~0.2 solar mass with S/N = 10. We will combine these
data with archival WFPC2 and STIS images to determine proper motions
for the stars in our fields. The resultant cleaned cluster CMDs will
allow us to study a variety of scientific questions. These include
[but are not limited to] 1} the determination of cluster ages and
distances 2} the construction of main sequence mass functions and the
issue of mass segregation 3} the internal motions and dynamical
evolution of globular clusters, and 4} absolute cluster motions,
orbits, and the Milky Way gravitational potential. We anticipate that
the unique resource provided by the proposed treasury archive will
play a central role in the field of globular cluster studies for
decades, with a stature comparable to that of the Hubble Deep Field
for high redshift studies.

FGS 10610

Astrometric Masses of Extrasolar Planets and Brown Dwarfs

We propose observations with HST/FGS to estimate the astrometric
elements {perturbation orbit semi-major axis and inclination} of
extra-solar planets orbiting six stars. These companions were
originally detected by radial velocity techniques. We have
demonstrated that FGS astrometry of even a short segment of reflex
motion, when combined with extensive radial velocity information, can
yield useful inclination information {McArthur et al. 2004}, allowing
us to determine companion masses. Extrasolar planet masses assist in
two ongoing research frontiers. First, they provide useful boundary
conditions for models of planetary formation and evolution of
planetary systems. Second, knowing that a star in fact has a plantary
mass companion, increases the value of that system to future
extrasolar planet observation missions such as SIM PlanetQuest, TPF,
and GAIA.

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8793

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 4

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

10154 - GSacq(2,1,2) resulted in fine lock backup using FGS 1 @
060/10:53:45z

GSacq(2,1,2) scheduled at 060/10:50:04 resulted in fine lock backup
(1,0,1) due to scan step limit exceeded on FGS 2.

10155 - GSACQ(2,1,2) fine lock backup, scan step limit exceeded on FGS
2 @ 060/14:07:15z

Upon acquisition of signal at 060/14:07:15 HST was in fine lock on FGS
1 only. GSACQ(2,1,2) at 060/13:59:06 ended in fine lock backup on FGS
1 due to scan step limit exceeded on FGS 2.

10156 - OBAD Failure @ 060/15:25:37z

OBAD at 15:23:31 on FHST 2 and 3 failed with very high reported error
correction (-149739.53, -68756.24, -165672.15, RSS= 233659.19). Status
buffer message 1806 "T2G Open Loop Timeout" occurred at 15:25:37.
Status Buffer message 1902 "OBAD Failed Identification" was received
at 15:26:20. Subsequent OBAD at 15:41:03 had no telemetry but HST was
in fine lock at 16:20:47 AOS.

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL FAILURE TIMES
FGS GSacq 10 10
FGS REacq 02 02
OBAD with Maneuver 26 25 Hstar # 10156

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

OhOh, Say, Can You See? Ed Conrad Misc 6 January 27th 06 09:41 PM
Judge Jones Has Been Reading the Wrong Books -- Intelligent Design vs. Evolution... Ed Conrad Amateur Astronomy 0 December 22nd 05 10:38 AM
BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT OF THEM ALL . . . Ed Conrad Amateur Astronomy 10 December 21st 05 02:55 PM
THE BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT OF ALL Ed Conrad Astronomy Misc 2 December 20th 05 03:31 AM
Ed Conrad's NEW Letter to Prof. Michael Behe Ed Conrad Astronomy Misc 0 June 21st 05 10:50 AM