My email is bugged or has a virus ??

Old September 21st 03, 12:45 AM
Steven Gray

Fred Williams wrote in
:

It's a virus acting like a hacker. Do not open any
attachements,
especially if you have M$ Window$ of any type. The virus is called
W32/Swen@MM and it tends to harvest email addresses from Usenet
postings.

It's been a wild couple of days for me; I've deleted hundreds of these
things (without opening them, of course). Maybe you can answer a related
question. I'm running Outlook Express on a Win98 machine. I'm trying to
block these things by setting up a message rule to delete anything with an
attachment. It works fine to move them automatically to my deleted message
folder, but I'd like to avoid downloading them to start with.
Unfortunately, selecting "don't download from server" as part of the rule
doesn't seem to work. In fact, when I create a rule, the first line in its
conditions reads "apply after the message is received". By then, of
course, it's too late to avoid downloading it.

Does anyone know how to get this right in Outlook Express?

--
Steve Gray

Old September 21st 03, 12:52 AM
Steven Gray

"Bonnie Granat" wrote in
:

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
My web has about 50 email every 5 minutes. all from addresses that
don't have a proper address.Good email can't get through,because my web
can't hold any more. What should I do? Bert

I made a few message rules in Outlook Express and I'm not bothered at all
now. The messages are deleted from my server.

I'm trying to do that in Outlook Express, but whenever I create a new rule
the first line is "Apply after messages are received". By then it's too
late to prevent downloading. I can't seem to get rid of this. How did you
do it?

--
Steve Gray

Old September 21st 03, 01:27 AM
Darkhorse

"Phyloe" wrote in message
I had the exact same thing. Some from Postmaster? Allot from MS about
patches? Nonsense e-mail addresses with Yahoo? Undeliverable mail you did
not send in the first place? I think it is some sort of virus. I changed

my
e-mail address and it stopped. Norton was highly recommended and I may

have
to go to Best Buy.
Phyloe

You have got to be joking, Norton is bloated crapware that can balls up your
system if not installed/uninstalled properly.

Get a cheaper, or free, scanner that is only about 2-5 meg in size.

Old September 21st 03, 01:40 AM
Phyloe

I downloaded the Norton free trial anti-virus.It scanned my files and
found 4 adware (viruses?) You might want to try that.
Phyloe

Old September 21st 03, 01:48 AM
Bill Sheppard

Gypsy Baron wrote,

Unfortuneately you didn't go far enough.
Your "real" address still appears in the
From: line of your USNET posts.

Well it seems OK so far. The private addy is still completely clean.
Knock on wood.g

oc

Anti-spam address: oldcoot88atwebtv.net
Change 'at' to@

Old September 21st 03, 01:48 AM
Bill Sheppard

Old September 21st 03, 06:08 AM
Bonnie Granat

"Steven Gray" wrote in message
Fred Williams wrote in
:

[...]

These are my rules. I built them up a little at a time, adding words each
time I needed to. So you can combine some of these, but be sure you do a
rule for the From, To, and Subject fields.

Rule 1

Apply this rule after the message arrives

Where the From line contains 'Microsoft Corporation Network Security Center'
or 'message delivery system' or 'Technical Bulletin' or 'Microsoft' or 'MS
Corporation Public Support' or 'Security' or 'MS' or 'Public' or
'Postmaster'

Delete it from server

Rule 2

Apply this rule after the message arrives

Where the Subject line contains 'Security Pack' or 'Pack' or 'Security' or
'Newest' or 'Critical' or 'Patch' or 'Net' or 'mailer' or 'New Update' or
'Technical Support' or 'Message' or 'Network' or 'Customer' or 'Corporation'
or 'Bug' or 'Virus' or 'Warning' or 'Upgrade' or 'Update' or 'Latest' or
'Security Center' or 'Internet' or 'MS Customer Support'

Delete it from server

Rule 3

Apply this rule after the message arrives

Where the Subject line contains 'Patch' or 'Critical' or 'Microsoft' or
'Latest' or 'Newest' or 'security update' or 'Network' or 'Security' or 'MS'
or 'Newest Internet'

Delete it

Rule 4

Apply this rule after the message arrives

Where the Subject line contains 'Patch' or 'Critical' or 'Microsoft' or
'Latest' or 'Newest' or 'security update' or 'Network' or 'Security' or 'MS'
or 'Newest Internet'

Delete it

Rule 5

Apply this rule after the message arrives

Where the Subject line contains 'Message' or 'Network' or 'Customer' or
'Delivery'

Delete it from server

--
Bonnie Granat