another moon question

Old September 20th 03, 08:49 PM
Holly

Default another moon question

Ok I got another moon question and i know its dumb but ok so i know that we
only ever see 1 side of the moon the same side all the time ,, this sint my
question but i dont understnd that becuase we are spinning and the moon is
spinning right ? Of course im right all planets and moons spin so it doesnt
make sense that we only see one side unless...no nevermind. So heres my
question if i was up there sitting on the moon would i only ever just see 1
side of the earth too ? If so why,and if not why ?

Holly (
Old September 20th 03, 09:24 PM
Odysseus

Holly wrote:

Ok I got another moon question and i know its dumb but ok so i know that we
only ever see 1 side of the moon the same side all the time ,, this sint my
question but i dont understnd that becuase we are spinning and the moon is
spinning right ? Of course im right all planets and moons spin so it doesnt
make sense that we only see one side unless...no nevermind. So heres my
question if i was up there sitting on the moon would i only ever just see 1
side of the earth too ? If so why,and if not why ?

The period in which the moon rotates around its axis is the same as
that of its revolution around the earth. To model the situation,
stand in the middle of a room and have a friend crab-walk around you
in a circle, facing you the whole time. In order to keep facing you
she'll have to rotate around her own axis -- you can tell this is
happening because she'll be facing different walls of the room as her
position changes. If she walks around you in such a way that she's
always facing the same wall (therefore not rotating) you'll see
different sides of her as she goes around.

Anyway, from a given point on the moon the earth would always be seen
at pretty much the same position in the sky -- it wouldn't rise or
set. From a location in the middle of the lunar disk the earth would
stand directly overhead; seen from a location near the limb the earth
would hang over the lunar horizon. But it would be seen to rotate,
because its daily rotation is much faster than the monthly lunar cycle.

That the earth wouldn't seem to move through the lunar sky is tied to
the fact that we see just one side of the moon; OTOH that the earth
would be seen to rotate from a vantage point on the moon is tied to
the fact that from here we see the moon rise and set.

--
Odysseus

Old September 22nd 03, 08:27 PM
Holly

Tanx dude for explaining that I still dont understand it but ill try
reading it again I tryed that crab walk thing with my sis but it was fun
but i didnt see the point maybe its just me.

Old September 23rd 03, 12:30 AM
Benoit Morrissette

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:49:19 GMT, Holly wrote:

Ok I got another moon question and i know its dumb but ok so i know that we
only ever see 1 side of the moon the same side all the time ,, this sint my
question but i dont understnd that becuase we are spinning and the moon is
spinning right ? Of course im right all planets and moons spin so it doesnt
make sense that we only see one side unless...no nevermind. So heres my
question if i was up there sitting on the moon would i only ever just see 1
side of the earth too ? If so why,and if not why ?

Holly (

Hello Holly, no questions are dumb and sometimes the answers are simpler than we
think.

Let's start with Earth: Our planet rotate around its axis ( around itself! ) in
24 hours; this is the length of OUR day. Earth also revolve around the Sun in
365 1/4 days and this is the duration of OUR year.

The Moon revolve around Earth in 28 days, this is the Moon's year. By the way,
if you look at he Earth-Moon system from above the north pole, you will see that
the Moon revolve around Earth in a counter-clockwise direction. Now suppose
that you lie on the ground on a beautifull summer midnight, you look at the Moon
and suddenly, absolutely everythings in the Universe stop moving BUT the Moon.
What will you see? You will first see a first-quarter Moonrise on the western
horizon, it will slowly grow full-moon up in the middle of your sky in seven
days and then it will slowly sink below your eastern horizon, in its last
quarter state, another seven days later.

That way we can understand the cause of the Moon's phases: in the above
situation, the Sun is located directly behind our back. When we observe the
Moonrise, we are really looking at our right to the left side of the Moon so the
front-side is illuminated by the Sun and the back side is not. When we look at
the Moonset, ( 14 days later ) we see to our left its right side; the front side
is still in Sunlight and the back side is still dark.

You notice that i have not spoke a word yet about the Moon's DAY. Does the Moon
rotate around itself just like Earth? Yes it does but the length of a Moon-day
is not 24 hours. Because of gravitationnal effects between Earth and Moon, the
length of a Moon-day is... 28 Earth-day! For a Selenite, the day is the same
length of a year!

Now, let's do another though-experiment: again we stand on the ground and we
look at the full Moon at the zenith. Now, everything is motionless in the
Universe BUT the rotation of the Moon around itself. What do we see? The Moon
stand still there, suspended in heaven in a velvet black jewell box of stars.
It does'nt move either right or left but slowly, very slowly you notice a change
on the surface of the Moon: it is turning around itself. After a few days, we
begin to see on the left side of the Moon new terrain, a terrain only the few
Apollo astronauts could see with their own eyes: the other side of the Moon! 14
days after the beginning of that experiment, the Moon is still up there but it
is unrecongnizable because we see only the far side of it. Another 14 days and
the near side comes back into view.

Now, nothing is really motionless in the Universe, the Moon does revolve around
Earth and do rotate around itself at the same time. It is because the duration
and direction of both movements are the same that the Moon always shows us the
same side.

Now for the big question: how do we see Earth if we stand on the Moon, like the
Apollo crews? What we see is just like our "motionless experiment" number 2:
Earth stand still up in the sky, not moving neither right nor left but we can
see its rotation about itself. We will see first say, America, then the Pacific
ocean, then Australia, Asia, Africa and Europe, the Atlantic ocean then America
again. And all of this takes exactly 24 hours!

I hope all of this answered your questions and if you need anything else, please
do not hesitate: the only dumbs questions are those we do not dare to ask!

Good night!

Benoît Morrissette

Old September 23rd 03, 04:21 AM
onegod

Basically spin of moon would have TIDAL forces which causes heat and loses
energy eventually,
thus now one face is locked toward earth. This is similar to pendulum
eventually losing energy and stop even though it might take long time.

Old September 23rd 03, 06:12 PM
Kent

Holly wrote:

So heres my
question if i was up there sitting on the moon would i only ever just see 1
side of the earth too ? If so why,and if not why ?

Hi Holly,

If you were sitting on the moon, you *would* see the different sides of
the earth, because the Earth rotates every 24 hours, and the moon orbits
the earth every 28 days = the earth is spinning faster than the moon is
traveling. But, since the moon rotates in 28 days AND it orbits the
earth in 28 days, the earth would stay in the same position in the sky.

A bit like being on the edge of a merry-go-round and watching someone at
the center spinning a basketball: the basketball doesn't move position,
but it does show different sides.

Hope this is a bit clearer than some of the other answers,

Kent