Daily 3432

Old August 22nd 03, 03:35 PM

Default Daily 3432

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE

DAILY REPORT******* # 3432

PERIOD COVERED: DOY 233

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS 9675

CCD Daily Monitor

This program consists of basic tests to monitor, the read noise, the
development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise in ACS CCD
detectors. This programme will be executed once a day for the entire
lifetime of ACS.

ACS/HRC/WFC 9764

Elliptical galaxies in z~1.5 clusters

Giant elliptical galaxies offer can some of the tightest constraints
on models of galaxy formation. Recent observations have shown
significant inconsistencies between their properties and the
predictions of the currently popular hierarchical clustering models.
Many outstanding questions about the nature and evolution of these
objects can best {or only} be addressed by extending studies of
cluster ellipticals out to z1. Recently we have identified large
overdensities of red galaxies, strongly clustered around powerful
radio sources at z~1.5. We propose to image our two richest fields, of
Abell Class 0-1 richness, using the F814W and F606W filters on the
ACS/WFC. Our goals are to investigate: {1} Galaxy morphologies: we
will determine the bulge fractions of the red cluster galaxies, to
confirm that they are early-types, and measure their characteristic
radii to investigate their evolutionary status. {2} Colour gradients:
we will search for colour gradients indicative of recent star
formation {particularly blue cores}, or inhomogeneities in the
internal colours which might be indicative of recent assembly. {3}
Cluster membership: with two additional colours we will obtain
accurate photometric redshift estimates for all galaxies. Combined
with studies of nearby clusters and of field ellipticals, our results
will place very tight constraints on the formation of the most massive
galaxies.

ACS/WFC 9892

H-alpha Snapshots of Nearby Galaxies observed in F300W: Quantifying
Star Formation in a Dusty Universe

Previous studies of nearby galaxies show large discrepancies between
different star formation {SF} indicators on large {100 pc, or even
global} scales: the strikingly complex interplay of young stars, dust
and ionized gas are the primary cause of this variance. The few
galaxies in the HST Archive with both WFPC2 H-alpha and mid-UV {F255W
or F300W} imaging show this complex geometry extending down to 10 pc
scales. We propose a SNAPshot survey in the ACS/WFC H-alpha filter of
48 galaxies of all Hubble types, that are nearby but beyond the Local
Group, and that were previously imaged with WFPC2 in the mid-UV and in
F814W. We aim to provide a benchmark for understanding the SF
processes in both normal and star-bursting galaxies, at spatial
resolutions unattainable from the ground for a large and varied galaxy
sample. These data can be applied to a wide range of astrophysical
problems and will, therefore, be made public immediately. Our science
goals are to: {1} spatially resolve the dust clouds and filaments
which strongly affect mid-UV and H-alpha derived SF rates, {2} test
how the large-scale correlation between H-alpha and mid-UV flux breaks
down on pc scales, and {3} model the propagation of star formation by
comparing the SF over time scales of ~100 Myr {via mid-UV} and ~5 Myr
{via H-alpha}. This will {4} significantly improve our insight into,
and calibration of SF in UV-bright galaxies at high z, and into the
cosmic SF history.

NIC1/NIC2/STIS/CCD/WFPC2 9738

Spectroscopy and Polarimetry of Mars at Closest Approach

We plan a coordinated program of spectroscopy, imaging, and
spectropolarimetry of Mars during the August 2003 opposition to study
the composition and physical state of surface materials and airborne
aerosols. The observations include {a} Moderate spectral resolution
290 to 570 nm STIS long-slit push-broom imaging spectroscopy of Mars,
to constrain the properties of airborne aerosol particles and to
search for and globally map iron-bearing minerals that are diagnostic
of specific past climatic conditions; {b} WFPC2 UV-VIS images designed
primarily to quantify the effects of ice and dust aerosols on our STIS
spectra; {c} NICMOS near-IR images to search for and globally map the
presence of hydrated surface minerals; and {d} ACS multispectral
polarizer images to provide critical phase function measurements
needed to constrain the physical properties of the Martian surface
layer. The observations are timed to take advantage of the closest
approach of Mars to Earth for the next several hundred years. Images
and spectra will be acquired at a spatial scale comparable to existing
spacecraft orbital spectroscopy data {~10 km/pixel} and in wavelength
regions not sampled by past or current Mars spacecraft
instrumentation. These observations also provide complementary
scientific and calibration measurements in support of current and
future NASA and ESA Mars exploration missions.

NIC3/NIC2/NIC3 10064

Mini-SMOV NICMOS dark current, shading profile, and read noise program

The purpose of this proposal is to study the dark current, read noise,
and shading profile for all three NICMOS detectors after the NICMOS
starts operating due to safing. This proposal is a version of the
NICMOS monitoring program.

NICMOS 8791

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 2

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

STIS 9606

CCD Dark Monitor-Part 2

Monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

STIS 9608

CCD Bias Monitor - Part 2

Monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1,
and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up high-S/N superbiases and track the
evolution of hot columns.

STIS 9786

The Next Generation Spectral Library

We propose to continue the Cycle 10 snapshot program to produce a Next
Generation Spectral Library of 600 stars for use in modeling the
integrated light of galaxies and clusters. This program is using the
low dispersion UV and optical gratings of STIS. The library will be
roughly equally divided among four metallicities, very low {[Fe/H] lt
-1.5}, low {[Fe/H] -1.5 to -0.5}, near-solar {[Fe/H] -0.3 to 0.1}, and
super-solar {[Fe/H] gt 0.2}, well-sampling the entire HR-diagram in
each bin. Such a library will surpass all extant compilations and have
lasting archival value, well into the Next Generation Space Telescope
era. Because of the universal utility and community-broad nature of
this venture, we waive the entire proprietary period.

STIS/CCD 10000

STIS Pure Parallel Imaging Program: Cycle 12

This is the default archival pure parallel program for STIS during
cycle 12.

WFPC2 9595

WFPC2 CYCLE 11 SUPPLEMENTAL DARKS pt3/3

This dark calibration program obtains 3 dark frames every day to
provide data for monitoring and characterizing the evolution of hot
pixels.

WFPC2 9709

POMS Test Proposal: WFII parallel archive proposal

This is the generic target version of the WFPC2 Archival Pure Parallel
program. The program will be used to take parallel images of random
areas of the sky, following the recommendations of the 2002 Parallels
Working Group.

WFPC2 9710

POMS Test Proposal: WFII backup parallel archive proposal

This is a POMS test proposal designed to simulate scientific plans.

WFPC2 9816

Proper motion kinematics in Galactic bulge/bar fields

With this proposal we continue a successful programme to measure
proper motions in fields in the galactic bulge. We are able to reach
accuracies of ca 10km/s in transverse motion at a distance of 8kpc,
for thousands of stars per WFPC2 field. In combination with VLT
spectroscopic radial velocities and metallicity indices, we will be
able to construct a full dynamical and stellar-population model for
our Bulge. Previous fields in this programme were on the minor axis;
the fields proposed here {using first epoch observations from
1995-1998 from the archive} lie in the first quadrant, on the near
side of the Galactic bar. We also wish to establish first-epoch
observations in the 4th quadrant, where no suitable data exist so far.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.) None

COMPLETED OPS REQs: NONE

OPS NOTES EXECUTED: NONE

*********************** SCHEDULED**** SUCCESSFUL*** FAILURE TIMES
FGS GSacq*********** 10********************** 10
FGS REacq*********** 07*********************** 07
FHST Update********* 18********************** 18
LOSS of LOCK

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

Successfully completed Command Timing Comparison testing on SUN/SGI
platform using the CCS "D" and "C" Strings 232/11:00Z - 19:30Z.*
Results indicate the SUN (D String) performance is significantly
faster.* While command FIVEBLCKs in a "NoVerify" mode a 15% - 30%
increase was seen and in "Countcheck" mode a 10% - 20% increase was
see in some FIVEBLCKs.* A 10% - 15% increase was seen in only one
command load in TDRSS 32 kbps NoVerify.* Another test is scheduled for
Day 240 with Sys Admin to monitor the "D" String while commanding.***