Arp 290 A galaxy blowing in the wind?

Old August 11th 09, 07:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Arp 290 A galaxy blowing in the wind?

Arp 290 is classed by Arp as Group Character: Wind Effects. This is the
first of this odd class I've imaged though two more are awaiting
processing. It does appear "wind blown". The small galaxy is IC 195,
the wind blown one is IC 196. Both have a red shift consistent with a
distance of about 155 million light years and are magnitude 14 and 13.6
respectively so within range of a 10" scope from a dark site. They are
located in Aries.

NGC 195 is classed as SAB0 while IC 196 is SBb.

The only somewhat blue galaxy in the image is SDSS J020352.74+144140.0
SE of Arp 290 3 minutes, just west of the nearby asteroid trail. It is
740 million light years away yet still somewhat blue. The little
vertical galaxy below it is 2MASX J02035353+1440074 and IR galaxy also
at 740 million light years.

The tiny vertical galaxy above IC 196 is 421 million light years distant
so not related to Arp 290.

Most interesting to me is 2MASX J02032466+1441521, another strong IR
emitting galaxy. It is the "tiny" face on spiral to the west south west
of Arp 290. It stands out for being so red yet being a spiral. It
certainly isn't a tiny galaxy as it is 1.7 billion light years distant.
It has to be one heck of a big galaxy. Is the red due to galactic
reddening or is it one of the new class of red spirals?

There are 3 asteroids in the image. The bright one near Arp 270 is
(113736) 2002 TD155. Below it near the very bottom of the image is much
fainter 2008 UU198. It was discovered only days before I took this
image, though I didn't know this at the time. As indicated by its
designation it was the 4970th asteroid discovered after October 15th and
before November 1. These automatic systems are finding them rapidly! I
took this image Oct. 31 UT. The third asteroid is directly west of the
second and a bit fainter. It is 2003 WC175. So while fainter it was
found almost 5 years earlier. It is faint as it is estimated, by the
minor planet center, to be magnitude 19.7.

Arp's image of this pair with the 200" Hale telescope is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp290.jpeg

SDSS:
http://astronomerica.awardspace.com/SDSS-3/IC195.php

This image marks my last October 2008 image. I'm now moving into
November. I tend to get a bit behind in my processing!

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP290L4X10RGB2X10X3.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	2553
Old August 11th 09, 09:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Wow, another good one. The thin dust band you captured is really
spectacular, must have had good seeing to resolve it.

Stefan

ster.com...

Old August 12th 09, 03:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Yes, seeing was far better for this one than normal but transparency was
poor so it doesn't go as deep. Seems I can have one or the other but
rarely both. Even the night I plowed through my normal 22nd mag limit
seeing wasn't all that great. Makes me wonder what I could do if the
two would just cooperate and both be good at the same time.

Rick