DAILY REPORT #4643

Old July 1st 08, 02:55 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Pataro, Pete

Default DAILY REPORT #4643

DAILY REPORT*** #4643

PERIOD COVERED: 5am June 30 - 5am July 1, 2008 (DOY
182/0900z-183/0900z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/SBC 11158

HST Imaging of UV Emission in Quiescent Early-type Galaxies

We have constructed a sample of early type galaxies at z~0.1 that have
blue UV-optical colors, yet also show no signs of optical emission, or
extended blue light. We have cross-correlated the SDSS catalog and the
Galaxy Evolution Explorer Medium Imaging Survey to select a sample of
galaxies where this UV emission is strongest. The origin of the UV
rising flux in these galaxies continues to be debated, and the
possibility that some fraction of these galaxies may be experiencing
low levels of star formation cannot be excluded. There is also a
possibility that low level AGN activity {as evidenced by a point
source} is responsible We propose to image the UV emission using the
HST/SBC and to explore the morphology of the UV emission relative to
the optical light.

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8795

NICMOS Post-SAA Calibration - CR Persistence Part 6

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

NIC2 11168

The IMF in the Hidden Galactic Starburst W49A

W49A is one of the most luminous and prolific massive star formation
regions in the disk of our Milky Way. Given the presence of several
very massive OB clusters as well as an unusually high concentration of
many young ultra-compact HII regions (UCHIIR) -- all embedded in about
1 million solar masses of molecular gas -- it is arguably the best
Galactic template for a luminous starburst region. We propose to
obtain NICMOS imaging of the central part of W49A, covering a strip
from the central, massive OB cluster to the ring of UCHIIRs. Our goals
are to resolve and characterize the central star cluster and determine
its IMF down to about 1 solar mass. We want to characterize the
distribution of intermediate-mass YSOs, and identify the NIR
counterparts to the UCHIIRs. The combination of the proposed
HST/NICMOS data with our recently obtained Spitzer observations would
allow a great step forward in the understanding of massive star and
cluster formation.

NIC3 11545

A NICMOS Survey of Newly-Discovered Young Massive Clusters

We are on the cusp of a revolution in massive star research triggered
by 2MASS and Spitzer/GLIMPSE, and now is the ideal time to capitalize
on these projects by performing the first survey of massive stars in
young stellar clusters throughout the Galactic plane. A search of the
2MASS and GLIMPSE surveys has produced over 450 newly-identified
massive stellar cluster candidates in the Galactic plane which are
hidden from our view at optical wavelengths due to extinction. Here we
propose a program of 29 orbits to image the most promising candidate
clusters in broad and narrow band filters using HST/NICMOS. We will be
complementing these observations with approved Spitzer and Chandra
programmes, numerous approved and planned ground-based spectroscopic
observations, and state-of-the-art modelling. We expect to
substantially increase the numbers of massive stars known in the
Galaxy, including main sequence OB stars and post-main sequence stars
in the Red Supergiant, Luminous Blue Variable and Wolf-Rayet stages.
Ultimately, this programme will address many of the fundamental topics
in astrophysics: the slope to the initial mass function (IMF), an
upper-limit to the masses of stars, the formation and evolution of the
most massive stars, gamma-ray burst (GRB) progenitors, the chemical
enrichment of the interstellar medium, and nature of the first stars
in the Universe.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

#11367* NICMOS Suspended @ 182/0938z

with a status buffer message NICMOS 632, P=201, T=22310, indicating
MECH_2_MAX_RETRIES_EXCEEDED. The number of positioning error retries
attempted during a Filter Wheel 2 movement exceeded the maximum limit.
Per CTMline report the move was to the F110W filter position.
Observations affected: NICMOS #38-73 (Proposals #11168, #08795 &
#11545).

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST:

18242-1* NICMOS memory dump after suspend @ 182/1311z
18243-0* NICMOS Suspend Recovery @ 182/1820z

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (NONE)

******************************** SCHEDULED***** SUCCESSFUL

FGS GSacq********************** 07******************* 07
FGS REacq********************** 07******************* 07
OBAD with Maneuver******** **** 28******************* 28

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

A NICMOS suspend event occured at 182/0938z (30 June/5:38am), see
HSTAR #11367 write-up above. NICMOS was recovered and positioned for
science operations at 182/1818z (30 June/2:18pm). This put NICMOS back
on the science timeline for observation #74 in Proposal #11545 at
182/1836z (30 June/2:36pm).

Old September 8th 08, 08:38 PM
yuqingeng2007 yuqingeng2007 is offline
Junior Member

Post adult joke28

Gas station TVGas Station TV says they will install television sets at five hundred gas stations and broadcast to motorists filling up their gas tanks. Imagine the programming. It's the perfect place to watch Debbie Does Dallas while Exxon does youPoly Aluminum Chloride
Poly aluminium Chloride

Daily Report # 4369 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 May 24th 07 02:09 PM
Daily Report # 4358 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 May 9th 07 04:07 PM
Daily Report # 4357 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 May 8th 07 02:41 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM