Daily Report #5006

Old January 6th 10, 03:22 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Bassford, Lynn[_2_]

Default Daily Report #5006

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE - Continuing to Collect World Class Science

DAILY REPORT #5006

PERIOD COVERED: 5am January 5 - 5am January 6, 2010 (DOY 005/10:00z-006/10:00z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

COS/NUV/FUV 11741

Probing Warm-Hot Intergalactic Gas at 0.5 z 1.3 with a Blind
Survey for O VI, Ne VIII, Mg X, and Si XII Absorption Systems

Currently we can only account for half of the baryons (or less)
expected to be found in the nearby universe based on D/H and CMB
observations. This "missing baryons problem" is one of the
highest-priority challenges in observational extragalatic astronomy.
Cosmological simulations suggest that the baryons are hidden in
low-density, shock-heated intergalactic gas in the log T = 5 - 7
range, but intensive UV and X-ray surveys using O VI, O VII, and O
VIII absorption lines have not yet confirmed this prediction. We
propose to use COS to carry out a sensitive survey for Ne VIII and Mg
X absorption in the spectra of nine QSOs at z(QSO) 0.89. For the
three highest-redshift QSOs, we will also search for Si XII. This
survey will provide more robust constraints on the quantity of baryons
in warm-hot intergalactic gas at 0.5 z 1.3, and the data will
provide rich constraints on the metal enrichment, physical conditions,
and nature of a wide variety of QSO absorbers in addition to the
warm-hot systems. By comparing the results to other surveys at lower
redshifts (with STIS, FUSE, and from the COS GTO programs), the
project will also enable the first study of how these absorbers evolve
with redshift at z 1. By combining the program with follow-up galaxy
redshift surveys, we will also push the study of galaxy-absorber
relationships to higher redshifts, with an emphasis on the
distribution of the WHIM with respect to the large-scale matter
distribution of the universe.

NIC2/WFC3/IR 11219

Active Galactic Nuclei in Nearby Galaxies: A New View of the Origin of
the Radio-Loud Radio-Quiet Dichotomy?

Using archival HST and Chandra observations of 34 nearby early-type
galaxies (drawn from a complete radio selected sample) we have found
evidence that the radio- loud/radio-quiet dichotomy is directly
connected to the structure of the inner regions of their host galaxies
in the following sense: [1] Radio-loud AGN are associated with
galaxies with shallow cores in their light profiles [2] Radio-quiet
AGN are only hosted by galaxies with steep cusps. Since the brightness
profile is determined by the galaxy's evolution, through its merger
history, our results suggest that the same process sets the AGN
flavor. This provides us with a novel tool to explore the co-evolution
of galaxies and supermassive black holes, and it opens a new path to
understand the origin of the radio-loud/radio-quiet AGN dichotomy.
Currently our analysis is statistically incomplete as the brightness
profile is not available for 82 of the 116 targets. Most galaxies were
not observed with HST, while in some cases the study is obstructed by
the presence of dust features. We here propose to perform an infrared
NICMOS snapshot survey of these 82 galaxies. This will enable us to i)
test the reality of the dichotomic behavior in a substantially larger
sample; ii) extend the comparison between radio-loud and radio- quiet
AGN to a larger range of luminosities.

S/C 12046

COS FUV DCE Memory Dump

Whenever the FUV detector high voltage is on, count rate and current
draw information is collected, monitored, and saved to DCE memory.
Every 10 msec the detector samples the currents from the HV power
supplies (HVIA, HVIB) and the AUX power supply (AUXI). The last 1000
samples are saved in memory, along with a histogram of the number of
occurrences of each current value.

In the case of a HV transient (known as a "crackle" on FUSE), where
one of these currents exceeds a preset threshold for a persistence
time, the HV will shut down, and the DCE memory will be dumped and
examined as part of the recovery procedure. However, if the current
exceeds the threshold for less than the persistence time (a
"mini-crackle" in FUSE parlance), there is no way to know without
dumping DCE memory. By dumping and examining the histograms regularly,
we will be able to monitor any changes in the rate of "mini-crackles"
and thus learn something about the state of the detector.

STIS/CCD 11844

CCD Dark Monitor Part 1

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

STIS/CCD 11846

CCD Bias Monitor-Part 1

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2,
2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1, and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up
high-S/N superbiases and track the evolution of hot columns.

STIS/CCD/MA1 11817

Detecting the Upper Atmosphere of a Transiting Hot Neptune: A
Feasibility Study

Atmospheric escape is a phenomenon that shapes planetary atmospheres,
from telluric planets in the Solar System to extrasolar 'hot
Jupiters'. It dramatically enhances the detectability of a heavily
irradiated hydrogen atmosphere, providing the planet is transiting its
star and the transits are observed in the ultraviolet, at Lyman alpha.
The 'hot Neptune' transiting the M dwarf GJ436 is the best analog we
have to a transiting super-Earth. Internal structure and atmospheric
models predict that it bears an extended hydrogen/helium atmosphere
subject to evaporation. It is detectable with the Space Telescope
Imaging Spectrograph, providing the background Lyman-alpha source -
the star - is bright enough or, alternatively, the emission line
profile spans over a large velocity range. To date, no spectra of
GJ436 exist at this wavelength. Using 1 orbit of Director's
Discretionary Time, we aim at properly estimating the stellar
Lyman-alpha flux and line profile. This DDT will serve as a basis for
a Cycle-18 program aimed at detecting the atmosphere of hot-Neptune
GJ436b and constraining both internal structure and atmospheric
models.

WFC3/ACS/IR 11584

Resolving the Smallest Galaxies with ACS

An order of magnitude more dwarf galaxies are expected to inhabit the
Local Group, based on currently accepted galaxy formation models, than
have been observed. This discrepancy has been noted in environments
ranging from the field to rich clusters, with evidence emerging that
lower density regions contain fewer dwarfs per giant than higher
density regions, in further contrast to model predictions. However,
there is no complete census of the faintest dwarf galaxies in any
environment. The discovery of the smallest and faintest dwarfs is
hampered by the limitations in detecting such compact or low surface
brightness galaxies, and this is compounded by the great difficulty in
determining accurate distances to, or ascertaining group membership
for, such faint objects. The M81 group provides a powerful means for
establishing membership for faint galaxies in a low density region.
With a distance modulus of 27.8, the tip of the red giant branch
(TRGB) appears at I ~ 24, just within the reach of ground based
surveys. We have completed a 65 square degree survey in the region
around M81 with the CFHT/MegaCam. Half of our survey was completed
before Cycle 16 and we were awarded time with WFPC2 to observe 15 new
candidate dwarf galaxy group members in F606W and F814W bands in order
to construct color-magnitude diagrams from which to measure accurate
TRGB distances and determine star formation and metallicity histories.
The data obtained show that 8 - 9 of these objects are galaxies at the
same distance as M81. In completing our survey, we have discovered an
additional 8 candidate galaxies we propose to image with ACS in order
to measure TRGB distances and establish membership. We also wish to
re-observe our smallest candidate group member and a tidal dwarf
candidate with deeper observations made possible with ACS. Once
membership has been established for this second set of candidates, we
will have a complete census of the dwarf galaxy population in the M8
group to M_r ~ -10, allowing us to obtain a firm measurement of the
luminosity function faint-end slope, and, combined with previous HST
data, to provide a complete inventory of the age and abundance
properties for the collapsed core of the M81 group.

WFC3/ACS/UVIS 11360

Star Formation in Nearby Galaxies

Star formation is a fundamental astrophysical process; it controls
phenomena ranging from the evolution of galaxies and nucleosynthesis
to the origins of planetary systems and abodes for life. The WFC3,
optimized at both UV and IR wavelengths and equipped with an extensive
array of narrow-band filters, brings unique capabilities to this area
of study. The WFC3 Scientific Oversight Committee (SOC) proposes an
integrated program on star formation in the nearby universe which will
fully exploit these new abilities. Our targets range from the
well-resolved R136 in 30 Dor in the LMC (the nearest super star
cluster) and M82 (the nearest starbursting galaxy) to about half a
dozen other nearby galaxies that sample a wide range of star-formation
rates and environments. Our program consists of broad band
multiwavelength imaging over the entire range from the UV to the
near-IR, aimed at studying the ages and metallicities of stellar
populations, revealing young stars that are still hidden by dust at
optical wavelengths, and showing the integrated properties of star
clusters. Narrow-band imaging of the same environments will allow us
to measure star-formation rates, gas pressure, chemical abundances,
extinction, and shock morphologies. The primary scientific issues to
be addressed a (1) What triggers star formation? (2) How do the
properties of star-forming regions vary among different types of
galaxies and environments of different gas densities and compositions?
(3) How do these different environments affect the history of star
formation? (4) Is the stellar initial mass function universal or
determined by local conditions?

WFC3/ACS/UVIS 11603

A Comprehensive Study of Dust Formation in Type II Supernovae with
HST, Spitzer, and Gemini The recent discovery of three extremely
bright Type II SNe, (2007it, 2007oc, 2007od) gives us a unique
opportunity to combine observations with HST, Spitzer, and Gemini to
study the little understood dust formation process in Type II SNe.
Priority 1 Spitzer Cycle 5 and band 1 Gemini 2008A time has already
been approved for this project. Since late-time Type II SNe are faint
and tend to be in crowded fields, we need the high sensitivity and
high spatial resolution of ACS and NICMOS/NIC2 for these observations.
This project is motivated by the recent detection of large amounts of
dust in high redshift galaxies. The dust in these high-z galaxies must
come from young, massive stars so Type II SNe could be potential
sources. The mechanism and the efficiency of dust condensation in Type
II SN ejecta are not well understood, largely due to the lack of
observational data. We plan to produce a unique dataset, combining
spectroscopy and imaging in the visible, near- and mid-IR covering the
key phase, 400- 700 days after maximum when dust is known to form in
the SN ejecta. Therefore, we are proposing for coordinated HST/NOAO
observations (HST ACS, NICMOS/NIC2 & Gemini/GMOS and TReCS) which will
be combined with our Spitzer Cycle 5 data to study these new bright
SNe. The results of this program will place strong constraints on the
formation of dust seen in young high redshift (z5) galaxies.

WFC3/IR 11712

Calibration of Surface Brightness Fluctuations for WFC3/IR

We aim to characterize galaxy surface brightness fluctuations (SBF),
and calibrate the SBF distance method, in the F110W and F160W filters
of the Wide Field Camera 3 IR channel. Because of the very high
throughput of F110W and the good match of F160W to the standard H
band, we anticipate that both of these filters will be popular choices
for galaxy observations with WFC3/IR. The SBF signal is typically an
order of magnitude brighter in the near-IR than in the optical, and
the characteristics (sensitivity, FOV, cosmetics) of the WFC3/IR
channel will be enormously more efficient for SBF measurements than
previously available near-IR cameras. As a result, our proposed SBF
calibration will allow accurate distance derivation whenever an
early-type or bulge- dominated galaxy is observed out to a distance of
150 Mpc or more (i.e., out to the Hubble flow) in the calibrated
passbands. For individual galaxy observations, an accurate distance is
useful for establishing absolute luminosities, black hole masses,
linear sizes, etc. Eventually, once a large number of galaxies have
been observed across the sky with WFC3/IR, this SBF calibration will
enable accurate mapping of the total mass density distribution in the
local universe using the data available in the HST archive. The
proposed observations will have additional important scientific value;
in particular, we highlight their usefulness for understanding the
nature of multimodal globular cluster color distributions in giant
elliptical galaxies.

WFC3/IR 11926

IR Zero Points

We will measure and monitor the zeropoints through the IR filters
using observations of the white dwarf standard stars, GD153, GD71 and
GD191B2B and the solar analog standard star, P330E. Data will be taken
monthly during Cycle 17. Observations of the star cluster, NGC 104,
are made twice to check color transformations. We expect an accuracy
of 2% in the wide filter zeropoints relative to the HST photometric
system, and 5% in the medium- and narrow-band filters.

WFC3/IR/S/C 11929

IR Dark Current Monitor

Analyses of ground test data showed that dark current signals are more
reliably removed from science data using darks taken with the same
exposure sequences as the science data, than with a single dark
current image scaled by desired exposure time. Therefore, dark current
images must be collected using all sample sequences that will be used
in science observations. These observations will be used to monitor
changes in the dark current of the WFC3-IR channel on a day-to-day
basis, and to build calibration dark current ramps for each of the
sample sequences to be used by Gos in Cycle 17. For each sample
sequence/array size combination, a median ramp will be created and
delivered to the calibration database system (CDBS).

WFC3/UVIS 11905

WFC3 UVIS CCD Daily Monitor

The behavior of the WFC3 UVIS CCD will be monitored daily with a set
of full-frame, four-amp bias and dark frames. A smaller set of 2Kx4K
subarray biases are acquired at less frequent intervals throughout the
cycle to support subarray science observations. The internals from
this proposal, along with those from the anneal procedure (Proposal
11909), will be used to generate the necessary superbias and superdark
reference files for the calibration pipeline (CDBS).

WFC3/UVIS/IR 11702

Search for Very High-z Galaxies with WFC3 Pure Parallel

WFC3 will provide an unprecedented probe to the early universe beyond
the current redshift frontier. Here we propose a pure parallel program
using this new instrument to search for Lyman-break galaxies at
6.5z8.8 and to probe the epoch of reionization, a hallmark event in
the history of the early universe. We request 200 orbits, spreading
over 30 ~ 50 high Galactic latitude visits (|b|20deg) that last for 4
orbits and longer, resulting a total survey area of about 140~230
square arcminute. Based on our understanding of the new HST parallel
observation scheduling process, we believe that the total number of
long-duration pure parallel visits in Cycle 17 should be sufficient to
accommodate our program. We waive all proprietary rights to our data,
and will also make the enhanced data products public in a timely
manner.

(1) We will use both the UVIS and the IR channels, and do not need to
seek optical data from elsewhere.

(2) Our program will likely triple the size of the probable candidate
samples at z~7 and z~8, and will complement other targeted programs
aiming at the similar redshift range.

(3) Being a pure parallel program, our survey will only make very
limited demand on the scarce HST resources. More importantly, as the
pure parallel pointings will be at random sight-lines, our program
will be least affected by the bias due to the large scale structure
("cosmic variance").

(4) We aim at the most luminous LBG population, and will address the
bright-end of the luminosity function at z~8 and z~7. We will
constrain the value of L* in particular, which is critical for
understanding the star formation process and the stellar mass assembly
history in the first few hundred million years of the universe.

(5) The candidates from our survey, most of which will be the
brightest ones that any surveys would be able to find, will have the
best chance to be spectroscopically confirmed at the current 8--10m
telescopes.

(6) We will also find a large number of extremely red, old galaxies at
intermediate redshifts, and the fine spatial resolution offered by the
WFC3 will enable us constrain their formation history based on the
study of their morphology, and hence shed light on their connection to
the very early galaxies in the universe.

WFC3/UVIS/IR 11909

UVIS Hot Pixel Anneal

The on-orbit radiation environment of WFC3 will continually generate
new hot pixels. This proposal performs the procedure required for
repairing those hot pixels in the UVIS CCDs. During an anneal, the
two-stage thermo-electric cooler (TEC) is turned off and the
four-stage TEC is used as a heater to bring the UVIS CCDs up to ~20
deg. C. As a result of the CCD warmup, a majority of the hot pixels
will be fixed; previous instruments such as WFPC2 and ACS have seen
repair rates of about 80%. Internal UVIS exposures are taken before
and after each anneal, to allow an assessment of the procedure's
effectiveness in WFC3, provide a check of bias, global dark current,
and hot pixel levels, as well as support hysteresis (bowtie)
monitoring and CDBS reference file generation. One IR dark is taken
after each anneal, to provide a check of the IR detector.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL
FGS GSAcq 06 06
FGS REAcq 09 09
OBAD with Maneuver 04 04

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 December 22nd 08 06:17 PM
Daily Report # 4428 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 August 17th 07 03:46 PM
Daily Report # 4427 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 August 16th 07 02:51 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM