ASTRO: Arp 34

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 9th 09, 08:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 34

While this is a nice trio of galaxies Arp 34 is only NGC 4615, the big
blue one, as it is classed by Arp as: Spiral Galaxies, Integral sign.
To me, none of his integral sign galaxies are all that close to the
appearance of the sign. To me this one looks more like an upside down
double stinger scorpion. I think he was mainly interested in the long
drawn out arms. In this case NGC 4615 is a starburst galaxy as
indicated not only by its vivid blue color but also by its intense IR
emission indicating there are far more stars being born in this galaxy
but they are hidden behind their dusty cocoons which emit strongly in IR
light as that's the only frequency that can escape the dust warmed by
these stars. It's official classification is Scd. Another galaxy is
NGC 4614, the odd barred spiral with two arms that seem to form a near
perfect ring. Note that on the SW side a faint outer arm is visible.
NED classes it as SB0. NGC 4613 is the smallest of the three and is
classed as Sa by NED and a lenticular galaxy (S0) by a note at NED. Sa
seems to better fit my image. All three are located about 230 million
light years away and do form a true group. Which, if either, caused the
distortions in NGC 4615 and threw it into starburst no one sees to know.
Neither seems all that distorted as you'd expect after such an
encounter. Maybe it was yet another galaxy out of my field but the note
below would indicate otherwise.

This note at NED about the three galaxy system is interesting:
"RSCG 64.-RSCG 64 is a very tight system (20 kpc in radius) with a low
velocity dispersion ({sigma}_RSCG_ = 111 +/- 74 km s^-1^). The system is
near the edge of a small apparent void. Only five galaxies within the
entire region are roughly coincident with the RSCG in velocity space,
and the nearest of these is 560 h^-1^ kpc away from the RSCG center.
RSCG 64 is probably an isolated, gravitationally bound system. No signs
of tidal interaction are evident." So they can't find the cause of the
starburst activity either.

Follow a line from NGC 4615 through NGC 4613 then on to an orange star a
bit fainter than the one on top of NGC 4613. Go the distance between
NGC 4613 and that orange star. That brings you to the center of a very
distant galaxy cluster NSC J124121+260545 a bit over 3 billion light
years distant. If I blow up that area I see a bunch of very faint
galaxies and a few brighter ones in the area. The cluster itself though
is hard to define. NED gives little information on it.

A bit west of NGC 4613 and north you come to a bright somewhat orange
star. It is about in the center of another galaxy cluster, NSCS
J124121+261031 at 4.5 billion light years. 28 galaxies are listed as
being in the cluster. I see far more on either side of this star
arranged in two clumps one to the east and one to the WSW of the star.
But there are far more than 28 in either of the clumps.

The eastern clump is a quite long group heading east. Toward the far
end of this large clump of galaxies is the location of yet another
galaxy cluster, NSCS J124153+261101 at 2.6 billion light years. It has
18 members. Again I see too many. The galaxy counts may have been made
from the POSS plates. I am going deeper than they do so this may
explain the excess.

I'm not done with galaxy clusters in the image! Follow the line from
NGC 4615 through 4613 and on to the first bright blue star. That marks
the area of yet another galaxy cluster that appears to be at the SW end
of a band of galaxies and galaxy clusters. It is NSCS J124108+260838.
It is listed as containing 41 members, more in line with what I see on
my image, and is 4 billion light years distant.

Arp 34 is located in the constellation of Coma Berenices.

Arp's image with the 200" telescope is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...big_arp34.jpeg
SDSS image:
http://astronomerica.awardspace.com/...614-5-SDSS.jpg

The asteroid in the image is (46920) 1998 SX12 MAG 17.9 Color data was
taken between to luminosity sessions so the trail is broken. It is near
the top right of center and is aimed at a somewhat blue galaxy that also
appears as a short streak.

Besides my normal 1" per pixel image I've attached a crop of the galaxy
trio at 0.75" per pixel.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=6x10' RGB=3x10', STL-11000XM Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arp34L6x10RGB3X10.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	2551  Click image for larger version

Name:	Arp34L6x10RGB3X10-150CROP.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	2552