ASTRO: NGC 0959

Old July 2nd 13, 04:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 0959

NGC 959 is a spiral galaxy in Triangulum. It's distance is an unknown,
at least to any degree of accuracy. Redshift puts it at only 17 million
light-years. This does rather closely agree to the redshift of NGC 925
that it is considered related to and I imaged back in 2009
http://www.spacebanter.com/attachmen...3&d=1280601739
.. Non redshift distance estimates put it 33 to 56 million light-years.
When I wrote up NGC 925 I had a similar distance problem finally
deciding on 30 million light-years. In this case we have a HST image of
the galaxy --
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-R814GB435.png
.. Based on the resolution in that image I'd estimate it a bit further.
I'm going to disagree with my earlier estimate and guess it to be 40
million light-years. That would put it's size at about 27,000
light-years across. NED classes it as Sdm: while the NGC project
disagrees saying Sc/I. I'm not sure how an Sc spiral can also be
irregular but that's what they say. The size I get is reasonable for a
Magellanic spiral or an irregular galaxy.

The galaxy was discovered by Édouard Jean-Marie Stephan in 1876. NED
has little information on the rest of the field. The only other galaxy
with any data is the spiral MCG +06-06-053 directly east of NGC 959.
Redshift puts it at 590 million light-years. It has a faint plume to
the south. It is a far larger galaxy. Ignoring the plume it is 85,000
light-years across and with the plume it is 140,000 light-years across.
A respectable spiral either way.

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC0959L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	4651  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC0959L4X10RGB2X10CROP150.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	4652