Light pollution takes another hit

Old August 7th 17, 11:54 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

Default Light pollution takes another hit

On Sunday, August 6, 2017 at 11:19:50 PM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

On Sunday, 6 August 2017 11:13:08 UTC+2, StarDust wrote:

Yes, humans destroyed much of the planet in the movie!

I hope it hasn't escaped you that we all come from the planet of the apes? ;-)

Horse ownership was the first step on the long road to obscene inequality,
snobbery, laziness, obesity, gout,

telescope ownership,

global warming,

Global warming periods exist in the geological record

heart disease and slavery.

Not necessarily in that order. ;-))

Aborigines engaged in slavery. And they usually weren't long-lived.

There's a town in Northern Italy where the residents typically live to 120.
Their secret? They can't count.
Old August 7th 17, 12:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 3:54:54 AM UTC-7, Gary Harnagel wrote:
On Sunday, August 6, 2017 at 11:19:50 PM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

On Sunday, 6 August 2017 11:13:08 UTC+2, StarDust wrote:

Yes, humans destroyed much of the planet in the movie!

I hope it hasn't escaped you that we all come from the planet of the apes? ;-)

Horse ownership was the first step on the long road to obscene inequality,
snobbery, laziness, obesity, gout,

telescope ownership,

global warming,

Global warming periods exist in the geological record

heart disease and slavery.

Not necessarily in that order. ;-))

Aborigines engaged in slavery. And they usually weren't long-lived.

There's a town in Northern Italy where the residents typically live to 120.
Their secret? They can't count.

No, they were isolated from the rest of the population and lived healthy life style!

Old August 7th 17, 02:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 03:54:50 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel
wrote:

Global warming periods exist in the geological record

But they are far less important to humans than the recurrent periods
of anti-intellectualism and outright pride in ignorance that our own
society swings through, currently at a near peak.

Old August 8th 17, 05:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

wrote:

Global warming periods exist in the geological record

But they are far less important to humans than the recurrent periods
of anti-intellectualism and outright pride in ignorance that our own
society swings through, currently at a near peak.

Google was unable to give me single word to encapsulate pride in deliberate ignorance.
I'll go with "pignorant" since superstition and ignorance often go hand in hand.
Which is, of course, rather unfair to our rather intelligent, four legged cousins.
But allows for: "Casting pearls, of wisdom, before swine.

Only a badly askew form of grave social injustice and general pignorance would allow the pignorant to gain high office or positions of [any] power over others.
Sadly, they have followers of pignoramuses in vast numbers.
Which allow rapid ascension to positions well above their normal pay grade.
Where they wield power well beyond their own meager understanding.
And then trumpet forth, as if to prove their inadequacy.
As if there were any doubt [at all] in the matter as they proudly lead their idiocracy over the abyss at edge of the world.
Old August 8th 17, 09:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Gary Harnagel wrote:
On Sunday, August 6, 2017 at 11:19:50 PM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

On Sunday, 6 August 2017 11:13:08 UTC+2, StarDust wrote:

Yes, humans destroyed much of the planet in the movie!

I hope it hasn't escaped you that we all come from the planet of the apes? ;-)

Horse ownership was the first step on the long road to obscene inequality,
snobbery, laziness, obesity, gout,

telescope ownership,

global warming,

Global warming periods exist in the geological record

heart disease and slavery.

Not necessarily in that order. ;-))

Aborigines engaged in slavery. And they usually weren't long-lived.

There's a town in Northern Italy where the residents typically live to 120.
Their secret? They can't count.

There are much better reasons for claims of extreme longevity in remote
parts or Europe. People took in their fathers' identities to avoid military
service.

Old August 9th 17, 05:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 4:54:54 AM UTC-6, Gary Harnagel wrote:

Global warming periods exist in the geological record

So? This has been explained: yes, global warming can happen as a natural
phenomenon. But when it does so, it does not happen as rapidly as it is
happening now. Also, those episodes had certain causes, such as the Milankovic
cycle - the current global warming has the carbon dioxide emissions of human
industrialization as its most obvious and likely cause.

Just because something has happened before naturally does not mean:

a) that we can't be the ones causing it this time, and

b) if it happens now, it can't have disastrous consequences for us.

That when it happened before, it didn't do so as rapidly, of course, only
strengthens this.

John Savard
Old August 9th 17, 06:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 21:07:03 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
wrote:
[...]

Back then there were much much fewer people so they could fairly
easily move to adapt to a changing climate. Today almost every
inhabitable part of the world is already inhabitated, so large scale
migration triggered by a changing climate will cause large scale
conflicts.
Old August 9th 17, 02:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 09 Aug 2017 07:36:38 +0200, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

Back then there were much much fewer people so they could fairly
easily move to adapt to a changing climate. Today almost every
inhabitable part of the world is already inhabitated, so large scale
migration triggered by a changing climate will cause large scale
conflicts.

Even in the past we have strong evidence of civilizations that
collapsed due to rapidly changing climate.
Old August 9th 17, 04:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

wrote:
[...]

Back when it was much hotter and there was more CO2 in the atmosphere, there were no people on earth. Humans are a recent phenomenon as far as geologic time.

Razzy
Old August 9th 17, 05:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mark Storkamp

In article ,
Razzmatazz wrote:

Back when it was much hotter and there was more CO2 in the atmosphere, there
were no people on earth. Humans are a recent phenomenon as far as geologic
time.

Razzy

Wait a minute. Are you saying there was once a higher concentration of
CO2? I thought we were on a tipping point where even a miniscule
increase would cause a runaway greenhouse effect that would make us as
hot as Venus.

The very first presidential effort to ever address Light Pollution: AlGore.org Statement on Light Pollution Ed[_2_] Amateur Astronomy 20 April 25th 07 12:30 PM
Light pollution Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk UK Astronomy 13 May 16th 05 08:07 PM
light pollution g Misc 1 October 26th 04 04:24 PM
Light Pollution (Again) Chef! UK Astronomy 19 March 18th 04 05:40 PM
Light Pollution and Mak vs SCT Jerry Amateur Astronomy 1 September 2nd 03 06:42 PM