Star Catalogue

Old January 24th 04, 12:52 AM
Michael Barlow

Default Star Catalogue

I'm not entirely sure what I'm after here so maybe you can help me out a
bit. I've been reading book after book after book during the cloudy and or
cold days and each one of them references star SAO##.. I'm not sure if I
should look for books on star cataloging or find books on catalogued stars
or what. Are there books on the above subjects and if so what are their
titles ?

--
Michael A. Barlow

Old January 24th 04, 04:59 AM
Bill Ferris

Are there books on the above subjects and if so what are their
titles ?

Here, are a couple of websites, which may be of interest:

http://tdc-www.harvard.edu/software/...wcsprogsc.html

http://tdc-www.harvard.edu/software/...wcsprogsc.html

The first will give you a thumbnail sketch of teh various star catalogs
available: how many stars; to what magnitude; when created; limits and obsolete
vs. recommended.

The second includes links to sites where you can search these catalogs or, in
some cases, download the catalogs.

Regards,

Bill Ferris
"Cosmic Voyage: The Online Resource for Amateur Astronomers"
Email: Remove "ic" from .comic above to respond

Old January 24th 04, 04:24 PM
Bill Ferris

Here's the URL for the first site I mentioned:
http://ad.usno.navy.mil/star/star_cats_rec.shtml

Old January 24th 04, 09:14 PM
Michael Barlow

Thanks Bill!
A quick glance suggests this is what I'm after. I'll continue scanning
through it.

--
Michael A. Barlow