space wedding

Old August 10th 03, 10:31 PM
James Oberg

Default space wedding

As 'press', I waited outside the space wedding in Houston, talked to lots of
the attendees. Story to appear on msnbc.com shortly.

Old August 10th 03, 11:31 PM
Stanislaw Sidor

Newsuser "James Oberg" wrote ...

As 'press', I waited outside the space wedding in Houston, talked to lots

of
the attendees. Story to appear on msnbc.com shortly.

In the meantime CNN story and video:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/0....ap/index.html

(STS)

Old August 11th 03, 04:02 AM
Hallerb

As 'press', I waited outside the space wedding in Houston, talked to lots of
the attendees. Story to appear on msnbc.com shortly.

Jim O Why did russia object? Is there a US prohibition for weddings?

Frankly I think its a non issue and wonder why anyone is upset.
Old August 11th 03, 07:51 PM
Derek Lyons

As the wedding did not take place in space, I'm flabbergasted at all
the attention it's receiving. The wedding took place in Texas, and is
only the latest in a long span of remote weddings by proxy. It's no
different from the many prison 'weddings' that occur each year, and
frankly no more newsworthy.

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.
Old August 11th 03, 07:55 PM
Derek Lyons

As the wedding did not take place in space, I'm flabbergasted at all
the attention it's receiving. The wedding took place in Texas, and is
only the latest in a long span of remote weddings by proxy. It's no
different from the many prison 'weddings' that occur each year, and
frankly no more newsworthy.

It's the pathetic drooling over such minor and meaningless 'firsts'
that keep space travel in the Buck Rogers mode rather than seeking
actual accomplishment.

None of this is to be read as a disparagement of the bride and groom,
only of the media, public, and space community reaction to a very
common event.

D.

Old August 12th 03, 11:08 AM
Craig Fink

Derek Lyons wrote:

As the wedding did not take place in space, I'm flabbergasted at all
the attention it's receiving. The wedding took place in Texas, and is
only the latest in a long span of remote weddings by proxy. It's no
different from the many prison 'weddings' that occur each year, and
frankly no more newsworthy.

Soooo, you think the Space Station is no different than a prison, do ya?
Or, was it JSC you were likening to the prison, as Kat was at the remote
location and Yuri was, well, basically, all over the place?

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

It's the pathetic drooling over such minor and meaningless 'firsts'
that keep space travel in the Buck Rogers mode rather than seeking
actual accomplishment.

Soooo, you think accomplishments by private citizens are minor and
meaningless, do ya? I think we need to put the "W" back on the "Wright
Stuff", the Wright Brothers most certainly had it.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one tooo...

None of this is to be read as a disparagement of the bride and groom,
only of the media, public, and space community reaction to a very
common event.

A disparaging mark...

Ahhh, Now there's something we can both agree on. Your remarks were
disparaging.

Craig Fink
Old August 12th 03, 12:19 PM
Dale

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:08:57 GMT, Craig Fink wrote:

It's the pathetic drooling over such minor and meaningless 'firsts'
that keep space travel in the Buck Rogers mode rather than seeking
actual accomplishment.

Soooo, you think accomplishments by private citizens are minor and
meaningless, do ya? I think we need to put the "W" back on the "Wright
Stuff", the Wright Brothers most certainly had it.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one tooo...

Soooo, condescending twit, have a nice plonk. If you ever actually worked
for NASA, which seems doubtful, they are all the better for being rid of you.

Dale
Old August 12th 03, 12:27 PM
Hallerb

Could the ISS comander marry a couple in orbit like sea captains can?
Old August 12th 03, 01:15 PM
Craig Fink

Default Tourists and space weddings

Derek Lyons wrote:

It's the pathetic drooling over such minor and meaningless 'firsts'
that keep space travel in the Buck Rogers mode rather than seeking
actual accomplishment.

Your right, they may be minor accomplishment and meaningless 'firsts' from
a technical point of view. But, from a political point of view they are
major accomplishments. Private citizens who truimph over huge bureaucracies
and open the door so others may follow.

Craig Fink
Old August 12th 03, 01:53 PM
Craig Fink

Derek Lyons wrote:

As the wedding did not take place in space, I'm flabbergasted at all
the attention it's receiving. The wedding took place in Texas, and is
only the latest in a long span of remote weddings by proxy. It's no
different from the many prison 'weddings' that occur each year, and
frankly no more newsworthy.

Sorry Derek,

I didn't care for the innuendo the first time I read it in the Houston
Cronicle. The innuendo also include the military proxy weddings, which this
is a much better analogy in this case.

Craig Fink