generational markers (was "Disney's Man In Space")

Old May 28th 04, 03:03 AM
David Higgins

Steve at fivetrees wrote:

Talking of lysergics, was Arthur Brown (http://www.godofhellfire.co.uk, one
of my sites) well-known in the US in the 60s?

At least for that song, yes.

Old May 28th 04, 03:08 AM
OM

On Fri, 28 May 2004 02:03:56 GMT, David Higgins
wrote:

Steve at fivetrees wrote:

Talking of lysergics, was Arthur Brown (http://www.godofhellfire.co.uk, one
of my sites) well-known in the US in the 60s?

At least for that song, yes.

....Evenmoreso around Central Texas, as he lived here for a while.
Actually met him when I was about 10 or so. Typical hippie back then
:-)

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old May 28th 04, 03:57 AM
OM

On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:45:33 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

It was shutting it down and watching the screen go to a straight light...
then the line collapse to a dot... and then the dot fade away.

....Yep, that was always the fun part, especially if you turned out all
the lights. On the B&W floor model my parents gave me in '69 after
they'd bought the Color model, the dot could take up to 20 minutes to
finally fade out, depending on how long the set had been in operation
prior to shutdown. Nowadays, when you shut down the set, it's off in a
heatbeat, completely.

sigh I miss the golden days of TV in the 60's, when the medium was
in transition to color and satellite uplinking was still snowy at
best. It seemed more of an adventure and an experiment back then, and
it's never been as much fun since about 1972 or thereabouts...

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old May 28th 04, 04:18 AM
OM

On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:03:54 GMT, (Derek
Lyons) wrote:

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:
"Mike Flugennock" wrote in message

So, you skipped a calculus class to do orbital mechanics calculations?

Can't say I was as diligent, but I recall skipping class to watch the
scrubbed STS-1 launch.

Walked into school several hours late. Teacher only asked one question:
"Did it launch?" They all knew where I had been and why. They weren't
going to hassle me about it.

nods I was a geek hero because my Dad wrote me notes to cover my
absences for both the scrubbed and sucessful launch.

....I've told this story before, but because my 2nd grade teacher was
so anti-Space that she wouldn't let us watch any coverage during
class, my parents would pull me out of class to make sure I didn't
miss anything. The really wild part was that she was the only teacher
at that elementary that was anti-NASA, and while other classes would
watch the coverage, she'd be making us do extra work. When we moved to
a new house in the middle of that particular school year, I was moved
to another elementary where the new teacher was not only an Astrobuff,
but also loaned me *her* copies of books that she'd been sent as
samples from publishers. It's how I got to read that excellent
Time-Life book about five months before it hit the stands.

....The funny thing about it, tho, was that when we moved again in the
middle of third grade, the elementary I attended for the next two and
a half years didn't have a TV for every classroom, and because I was
afraid that I'd miss mission coverage I convinced my parents to bring
me home if there was a mission. Of course, the only mission that got
affected by this was Apollo 13, and we all know how that turned out.
By the next year, tho, all the classrooms had their own TVs, and as I
was now getting in the years where creativity in skipping class was
becoming an art form, I justified staying at home to watch missions on
the grounds that the school TVs were all in B&W, and since they were
taking color cameras up now...:-)

....The irony is that for 4th and 5th grade, I had the same teacher,
and hers was the only classes until I got to High School that I
actually *hated* to miss, Mrs. Richards was excellent, and absolutely
never boring, and actually was responsible for showing me how to focus
my penchant for being a class clown into expository and oratory. It
helped me get over mike fright long before I got behind one, and I'll
always appreciate her for it.

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old May 28th 04, 04:24 AM
OM

On Thu, 27 May 2004 16:12:02 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Trivia question: Care to guess which model was the first one OM ever
had? It's a trick one, I'll warn you...

Not a clue....you didn't have a F-107, did you? Mine was a snap-together
HO scale radio station IIRC.

....It was two kits, actually. One was a 79 cent Aurora F-101 Voodoo, a
plane I still think needs to be forever converted to the Batplane and
used as such. The other was the grossly inaccurate Seaview kit, to
which my pop later bought the Polaris kit with the removable side
hatch so you could see the reactor inside, just so I could see what a
*real* sub was all about. Probably was one of the subtle inspirations
that had me planning to become an antisocial submariner when I
completed NROTC and got my commission.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old May 28th 04, 04:55 AM
Revision

"Mike Flugennock"
So now, I'm wondering what the
generational markers are for those of us
who were school kids pre-Mercury

Well I was born in '53 and got to follow the space program. An early
event that generated a great deal of public interest and amusement was
the Echo satellite. I remember spotting this 100 ft mylar balloon more
than once. In a sense I would like to see some of the French effort to
create visual satellites move forward. The highly visible nature of the
Echo was an unintended consequence but the public interest and
accessibility to visual observation seemed to come along at just the
right time.

Old May 28th 04, 04:58 AM
Doug...

says...

OM wrote:

Trivia question: Care to guess which model was the first one OM ever
had? It's a trick one, I'll warn you...

Not a clue....you didn't have a F-107, did you? Mine was a snap-together
HO scale radio station IIRC.

I'm sure I had a couple of models when I was really young that I can't
recall -- I seem to recall an airplane model that I got glue all over, a
*long* time ago.

But the first model I can actually remember assembling was called the
Atlas Space Station. It was the shell of an Atlas booster, with
attached X-20-like taxi spacecraft. The booster had been decked out
inside with living quarters, experiment modules, and life support
systems, and seemed to support a crew of six or so (if memory serves).
It even had an actual portion of the interior included in the model,
behind a clear plastic panel.

I did a REAL good job on that model -- that's the first one I recall
being proud of.

I put together the *original* 1/96th Gemini with the landing gear and
gear doors. I put together the associated Mercury. I had two different
copies of the BIG Gemini model (that was bigger than 1/48th -- ISTR is
was more like 1/12th scale). On both I painted and detailed that model
such that it looked REALLY realistic. (I mean, I even painted eyebrows
on the astronauts before I glued their faceplates down...)

I put together the excellent Monogram 1/36th CSM when I was 17, and
bought another about 15 years ago that I've never put together. One of
these days I'm going to get the resin detailing kits for that model and
make one that's REALLY accurate.

Doug

Old May 28th 04, 05:01 AM
Doug...

om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy... _facility.org says...

snip

...The other was the grossly inaccurate Seaview kit, to
which my pop later bought the Polaris kit with the removable side
hatch so you could see the reactor inside, just so I could see what a
*real* sub was all about.

I remember that! But the one I had was the Skipjack. It had a
removable section of hull that showed both the reactor and the missile
tubes, IIRC. But I definitely had and built that model.

You know, I also had this weird liking for automobile models. Put
together a model of a 1933 Cord that was truly exquisite, back when I
was 13 or so...

Doug

Old May 28th 04, 05:06 AM
Doug...

om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy... _facility.org says...

snip

...I've told this story before, but because my 2nd grade teacher was
so anti-Space that she wouldn't let us watch any coverage during
class, my parents would pull me out of class to make sure I didn't
miss anything.

I can remember my junior high school playing audio from the Apollo 7
launch (I was just not able to get out of school for that one). And in
my classroom, they did have a B&W TV up front, so we got to see it on
the TV and hear it over the PA. Very kewl.

But when it came to the later landing missions, I had to just cut school
several times to watch the EVA coverage. I stayed home for two days
during Apollo 14, one day during Apollo 16 (and that just because the
day of EVA-1 was a Friday), and one during Apollo 17 (landing day). My
folks supported me and wrote sick notes for me, even though the whole
school knew I was staying home to watch the moonwalks, LOL...

Doug

Old May 28th 04, 05:44 AM
Mary Shafer

On 26 May 2004 15:44:50 -0500, "William C. Keel"
wrote:

Steve at fivetrees wrote:
"Mike Flugennock" wrote in message

I was born in 1957 -- beat Sputnik off the pad by about 7 months

Heh - me too - actually more like 8 months (early Feb '57). Good year,
wasn't it?

Sure was. I as pre-Sputnik by about two weeks.

I was pre-Sputnik, pre-Mike, pre-Steve, and pre-William by about ten
years. Ken was pre-Sputnik et al. by sixteen years.

Mary