Is it just me?

Old May 8th 10, 04:17 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_950_]

Default Is it just me?

Pat Flannery wrote:
Or my killfiles...but is this newsgroup just about officially dead at
the moment?
Lurkers occasionally post something to it, but since they don't
regularly post, they leave it almost entirely to the nut-jobs and
Chinese shoe salesmen as the only consistent contributors.
If you enjoy reading the posts to it, you might want to consider
writing some to it also; otherwise, it's just going to croak and you
won't even be able to read it.

They're mostly dead.

I can't recall the last post that has passed moderation in sci.space.science
and very few recently that have passed moderation on sci.space.tech.

Pat

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old May 8th 10, 04:35 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_3_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
Or my killfiles...but is this newsgroup just about officially dead at the
moment?
Lurkers occasionally post something to it, but since they don't regularly
post, they leave it almost entirely to the nut-jobs and Chinese shoe
salesmen as the only consistent contributors.
If you enjoy reading the posts to it, you might want to consider writing
some to it also; otherwise, it's just going to croak and you won't even be
able to read it.

Pat

Comrade Flannery... What have you got against a hard-working member of our
Great Nation? You have been reported to the Proletariat and you can expect
to spend many years serving our Master, along side all the Falun Gong
members.

Old May 8th 10, 04:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_3_]

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
m...

They're mostly dead.

I can't recall the last post that has passed moderation in
sci.space.science and very few recently that have passed moderation on
sci.space.tech.

It's only because the mods are already sick and tired of it all. I've been
saying for over a year that it wouldn't work.

Old May 8th 10, 05:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jim Davis

Pat Flannery wrote:

Or my killfiles...but is this newsgroup just about officially
dead at the moment?

The life went out of the sci.space.* groups when Henry Spencer
decided it wasn't worth his time.

Jim Davis

Old May 8th 10, 08:29 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Damon Hill[_3_]

Jim Davis wrote in
. 3.70:

Pat Flannery wrote:

Or my killfiles...but is this newsgroup just about officially
dead at the moment?

The life went out of the sci.space.* groups when Henry Spencer
decided it wasn't worth his time.

Alas, too true.

--Damon

Old May 8th 10, 10:47 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 5/7/2010 7:17 PM, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

They're mostly dead.

I can't recall the last post that has passed moderation in sci.space.science
and very few recently that have passed moderation on sci.space.tech.

That was a slip on your guy's part by trying to sub-divide a moderated
space newsgroup into separate subgroups, when there wasn't enough
interest in any of the subgroups in it to support any of them as an
individual entity.
To make it work, it needs to be pretty much all-inclusive regarding
anything space related.
There is some hope here in regards to the fact that new posters that
were normally lurkers have shown up in the past month on both
sci.space.history and sci.space.policy.
A moderated "space" newsgroup might still work in this regard.
But to throw the towel in now and blame it all on mortality seems
defeatist, as although the _really_ "Old Gang" may be dwindling in
numbers via mortality, I've noted that most of us were born between
1950-1960, and despite my terribly profligate lifestyle based on
lethargy, gluttony, smoking, and inebriation...I, like the Coelacanth
fish, still somehow survive, despite being born in 1956.
Personally, I think it's my perpetual lust for Milla Jovovich that keeps
the vital juices flowing, and my life yet contained in my body.
Where there is lust, there is yet life.
And where is Milla, there is yet lust. ;-)

Pat
Old May 8th 10, 10:56 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 5/7/2010 7:35 PM, Alan Erskine wrote:

Comrade Flannery... What have you got against a hard-working member of
our Great Nation? You have been reported to the Proletariat and you can
expect to spend many years serving our Master, along side all the Falun
Gong members.

Somehow I actually got on their mailing list around a year back, and
used to get weekly updates on what the evil things the Chinese goverment
was doing to Falun Gong were.
More recently, I got onto some sort of mailing list from a group of
whackos out of India regarding their take on combining evolution theory
with mystic Hindu concepts. ;-D

Pat

Old May 8th 10, 11:19 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 5/7/2010 7:36 PM, Alan Erskine wrote:

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in
message m...

They're mostly dead.

I can't recall the last post that has passed moderation in
sci.space.science and very few recently that have passed moderation on
sci.space.tech.

It's only because the mods are already sick and tired of it all. I've
been saying for over a year that it wouldn't work.

According to Strider, their major problem was deleting all the Spam, not
checking out new postings - which unfortunately were few and far between
compared to the spam.

Pat

Pat
Old May 8th 10, 11:22 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 5/7/2010 8:50 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

Or my killfiles...but is this newsgroup just about officially
dead at the moment?

The life went out of the sci.space.* groups when Henry Spencer
decided it wasn't worth his time.

I miss Henry, but the one I _really_ miss is Rusty Barton with all his
great PDF links.

Pat