HLV Options/Designs

Old May 13th 10, 07:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Space Cadet[_1_]

Default HLV Options/Designs

If Ares V is off the table what other viable HLV designs are their to
consider? Direct? Some other form of SDHLLV either side mount or top
mount? The Spenser/Brown Bess? Any ideas?

Just my $0.02

Keith W of St Louis, AKA Space Cadet

Not Racist
Not Violent
Just No Longer Silent

"November is Coming!"
http://remembernovember.com/

Old May 14th 10, 04:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jorge R. Frank

On 05/13/2010 01:18 PM, Space Cadet wrote:
If Ares V is off the table what other viable HLV designs are their to
consider? Direct? Some other form of SDHLLV either side mount or top
mount? The Spenser/Brown Bess? Any ideas?

Yes.
Old May 14th 10, 11:20 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 5/13/2010 10:18 AM, Space Cadet wrote:
If Ares V is off the table what other viable HLV designs are their to
consider? Direct? Some other form of SDHLLV either side mount or top
mount? The Spenser/Brown Bess? Any ideas?

Delta IV can be expanded into heavy lift vehicles using standard
components:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ily_future.png

Pat
Old May 14th 10, 11:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Fri, 14 May 2010 02:20:07 -0800, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Delta IV can be expanded into heavy lift vehicles using standard
components:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ily_future.png

Yeah, but look at the boondoggle that Titan became when they used
'standard components' to stretch it a little farther, unleashing Titan
IV on the world.

A clean sheet design would be better. Start with a 1,000,000 lbs.
thrust kero-lox engine. What exactly is the hurry that we have to use
off-the-shelf anything? The time to hurry was five years ago. No one
did. Now we have a long hiatus no matter what. Most of the folks at
KSC are out of work for at least three years (unless we pay them to
twiddle their thumbs or launch useless pork like Ares I-X No.2) one
way or the other.

Brian