[UPDATE] Some quick facts about Cassini's SOI burn

Old July 1st 04, 04:04 AM
OM

Default [UPDATE] Some quick facts about Cassini's SOI burn

....We're about 5 minutes before an expected occultation of Cassini's
SOI telemetry by the F-ring. As we wait, here's some quick facts about
the burn:

* 78 minutes after engine start Cassini will be captured by Saturn
* 8 minutes later Cassini will clip Saturn's cloud tops by 19,980 km
* 9-19 minutes later SOI engine burn stops
* 8 hours later first images at noon UTC (5am PDT - 8am EDT)

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 1st 04, 04:29 AM
OM

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:04:35 -0500, OM
om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org
wrote:

...We're about 5 minutes before an expected occultation of Cassini's
SOI telemetry by the F-ring. As we wait, here's some quick facts about
the burn:

....Correction. That should have been the A-ring, not the F-ring. I get
an F for accuracy, but an A for effort, natch.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 1st 04, 05:30 AM
Christopher M. Jones

wrote:

...We're about 5 minutes before an expected occultation of Cassini's
SOI telemetry by the F-ring. As we wait, here's some quick facts about
the burn:

...Correction. That should have been the A-ring, not the F-ring. I get
an F for accuracy, but an A for effort, natch.

Hey, don't be so hard on yourself, you're at least
as accurate as the New York Times.
Old July 1st 04, 08:17 AM
Alex R. Blackwell

OM wrote:

...We're about 5 minutes before an expected occultation of Cassini's
SOI telemetry by the F-ring. As we wait, here's some quick facts about
the burn:

* 78 minutes after engine start Cassini will be captured by Saturn
* 8 minutes later Cassini will clip Saturn's cloud tops by 19,980 km
* 9-19 minutes later SOI engine burn stops
* 8 hours later first images at noon UTC (5am PDT - 8am EDT)

I understand the Cassini post-SOI HGA downlink/playback to DSS-63 is
now in progress, with the ISS NAC pointed at Saturn.

And before one of s.s.h. many esteemed members asks: "Who the hell are
you and where did you come from?", my understanding is based on viewing
a real time plot from a secure Cassini workstation.

--

Alex R. Blackwell
University of Hawaii

Old July 1st 04, 02:44 PM
Pat Flannery

Alex R. Blackwell wrote:

And before one of s.s.h. many esteemed members asks: "Who the hell are
you and where did you come from?", my understanding is based on
viewing a real time plot from a secure Cassini workstation.

Yours? Or did you sit down at someone else's while they were busy
writing a book or something?
Oh, wait a minute...I just checked up on you...you're the Big Space
Kahuna from the University of Hawaii, aren't you?
Well, Space Surfer Boy...we don't put the dog on for no one round here! :-)

Pat