[OT] Vioxx taken off the market

Old September 30th 04, 02:52 PM
Herb Schaltegger

Default [OT] Vioxx taken off the market

For any of you old fogeys (or, like me,
rapidly-approaching-middle-age-with-some-bumps-and-bruises-along-the-way-
fogeys), heads up. It appears that Merck has taken Vioxx off the market
amid concerns about cardiovascular complications - increased risk of
stroke and heart attack in an 18-month study of cancer patients. I have
to believe the risk extends beyond the limited field of chemo patients
because Vioxx accounts for about 10% of Merck's sales - something like
$2.5B per year - and they're doing this world-wide and NOT because the
FDA or another country's regulatory agency is making them do it. I
suspect that this cancer study made them go look at all the informal and
anecdotal info they had and haven't released. They probably realized
that if/when the FDA started the process to withdraw approval all that
would become public, exposing them to risk of big fines and sanctions.
So they did it first, to take the sting out a bit.

Anyway, I've been taking this stuff for over two years and it's worked
great for my L5-S1 disc injury. Time to call your docs and get a
substitute 'scrip.

Here's the CNN story:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/30/news/fortune500/merck/index.htm

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."
Old October 4th 04, 06:27 PM
Mary Shafer

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:52:10 -0500, Herb Schaltegger
wrote:

Anyway, I've been taking this stuff for over two years and it's worked
great for my L5-S1 disc injury. Time to call your docs and get a
substitute 'scrip.

Bextra. My young internist changed me over to Bextra about a month
ago, when the first reports about the Vioxx study came out. I asked
him about cox-2 inhibiters in general and he said that he thought the
concerns were a bit overblown, both regarding Vioxx and cox-2
inhibiters. He was changing patients over to Bextra because it worked
better (and it does).

Mary

Old October 4th 04, 06:48 PM
Herb Schaltegger

wrote:

Anyway, I've been taking this stuff for over two years and it's worked
great for my L5-S1 disc injury. Time to call your docs and get a
substitute 'scrip.

Bextra. . . . (snip)

Yep, that's what I ended up getting. I've been taking some samples from
my doc for a few days while waiting for the mail-order prescription to
arrive and it works great.

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."
~ Robert A. Heinlein
http://www.angryherb.net

Return to moon: EELV or HLV? Let the market decide (or at least the buyers). Alex Terrell Policy 39 March 22nd 04 08:16 PM
Prizes vs Market Guarantees Len Policy 5 February 20th 04 12:14 AM
Too many Plossls on the market Richard Amateur Astronomy 48 January 18th 04 05:41 PM
Space Market nix.olimpica Policy 0 December 4th 03 04:43 PM
market size as a function of launcher size Parallax Policy 12 September 23rd 03 11:14 PM