Why Comets Do Not Hit The Sun

Old February 17th 04, 02:49 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default Why Comets Do Not Hit The Sun

Here comes a comet coming way out maybe as far out a distance of a
thousand astronomical units. The center of the sun,and the center of the
comet are locked in by gravity. The comet has many years to line up for
a direct hit,but misses (why?) It does this millions of times as well.
The answer comes out of my "Spin is in theory"and combining my "Inertia
theory" The comet's nucleus has great spin,and this spin
gives it inertia to overcome the sun's gravity that is pulling the comet
to its center. Let me see if I can make this clearer??
The comet from our line of view is coming into the sun on its right
side. That means the comet's nucleus is spinning clockwise,and this
clockwise spin gives it angular motion and it allows the comet to side
step the sun. I'm thinking there must have been
lots of comets(billions) that hit the sun in the first half billion
years of the sun's history. This shows us nature uses large numbers to
get things right. "Old comets don't die hitting the sun,they
just fade away". Question I would like the answer. Do comets move
around the sun in the same direction as the planets? I believe that
would be in an anti-clockwise direction as viewed from"above" Bert
PS This is the first time I used my "Spin is in theory" in astronomy.
I invented it for the micro realm

Old February 17th 04, 05:52 PM
Ugo

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Here comes a comet coming way out maybe as far out a distance of a
thousand astronomical units. The center of the sun,and the center of the
comet are locked in by gravity. The comet has many years to line up for
a direct hit,but misses (why?) It does this millions of times as well.

Wasn't this question tossed around very recently?

The answer comes out of my "Spin is in theory"and combining my "Inertia
theory" The comet's nucleus has great spin,and this spin
gives it inertia to overcome the sun's gravity that is pulling the comet
to its center. Let me see if I can make this clearer??
The comet from our line of view is coming into the sun on its right
side. That means the comet's nucleus is spinning clockwise,and this
clockwise spin gives it angular motion and it allows the comet to side
step the sun.

Hm. Don't think that's the case. Most of the comets originated in the Oort
cloud, way farther than Pluto's orbit. Comets in this cloud have very low
orbital velocities, so very small gravitational nudges (therefore very small
speed changes) can expel a comet out into interstellar space or throw it
plunging down into the inner solar system. It's actually pretty hard to hit
the Sun because the comet must almost come to a full stop in its aphelion in
this cloud. Only then is its perihelion lowered to inside the Sun's radius,
therefore crashing the comet into the Sun. It has nothing to do with the
rotation of the nucleus itself.

I'm thinking there must have been
lots of comets(billions) that hit the sun in the first half billion
years of the sun's history. This shows us nature uses large numbers to
get things right. "Old comets don't die hitting the sun,they
just fade away". Question I would like the answer. Do comets move
around the sun in the same direction as the planets? I believe that
would be in an anti-clockwise direction as viewed from"above"

No. If memory serves me, even Halley's comet revolves the other way round,
clockwise.

--
The butler did it.

Old February 17th 04, 06:32 PM
Starlord

The SoHo probe has taken many photos of comets that DO crash right into the sun.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
World of Dahlias Slideshowv1.0 $10.00
for Windows machines. Email:

"Ugo" wrote in message

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old February 17th 04, 07:24 PM
Ugo

"Starlord" wrote in message
The SoHo probe has taken many photos of comets that DO crash right into

the sun.

I'm well aware of that.
I didn't say it's IMPOSSIBLE for a comet to hit sun, I said it's more likely
it'll just swing around it. If it survives the heat, that is...

--
The butler did it.

Old February 18th 04, 02:56 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

"onegod" wrote in
:

Kepler

Nope. Kepler worked out some laws for planets - not a general theory of
gravity.

L.

"Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th" wrote in
message 7.6...
(G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote in

@storefull-3178.bay.webtv.net:

Here comes a comet coming way out maybe as far out a distance of
thousand astronomical units. The center of the sun,and the center
of the comet are locked in by gravity. The comet has many years to
line up for a direct hit,but misses (why?)

Isaac Newton worked this out over three hundred years ago. Get with
the plot.

Llanzlan.

SNIP

Old February 18th 04, 04:52 AM
onegod

Comets generally follow eliptical orbits like planets, thus it orbits and
misses the sun unless it just happens to get nodged to almost 1
eccentricity... My guess is it has to be like 0.9999999 in order to hit
the sun.