ASTRO: NGC 281

Old October 22nd 08, 09:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 281

Last night was clear, but when I tried to focus my 10" ACF scope I didn't
get sharp pictures, so I decided that I should tweak the collimation. That
didn't help either so I came to the conclusion that the seeing was really
bad and switched to my 6" f/5 Newton. The first object that came to my mind
was NGC 281, which is a good fit for the FOV of my SXV-H9 camera.
Unfortunately the OAZ of the newt only has one flimsy screw to hold the
camera, so in 50% of my images I get elongated stars to one side of the chip
because the camera is not securely held.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a 6" F/5 newton with Baader coma
corrector on a G11 mount, SXV-H9 camera, 28x5, 2x7 and 1x10 minutes for
Halpha and 13x5 minutes for OIII (both 13nm Astronomik filters). The
pictures were combined to a Ha (Ha:OIII:OIII) colour image.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/281colourgut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	281colourgut.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	2235
Old October 22nd 08, 10:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:
[...]

That is a keeper for sure. I tried it early in my digital days. The
LRGB was awful and the RGB only so so. Never did try any H alpha and
still don't have OIII. Yours looks very much like a good RGB image as
to color balance with the detail of narrow band. This one is just the
right size for your chip and scope. I didn't even realize you had a 6"
f/5. I started with a 6" f/4 on the mount and have been thinking of
trying it with a larger chip than the ST-7 I used along with the Baader
corrector. Looks like a good combination.

Rick