KH-9 at NASM

Old September 18th 11, 12:07 AM posted to sci.space.history
David Lesher

Default KH-9 at NASM

There was a one-day showing af a KH-9 {Hexagon, aka Big
Bird} at the NASM parking lot at Dulles. The best part was
eavesdropping as there were multiple folks who'd worked on it
telling others. Some met other that they'd known only by name.

I met a senior EE from Perkin Elmer who related issues with the
"looper" that absorbed slack in the film as the camera stopped
and restarted every revolution.
--
A host is a host from coast to
Old September 18th 11, 01:45 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

From Pat Flannery:
On 9/17/2011 3:07 PM, David Lesher wrote:

There was a one-day showing af a KH-9 {Hexagon, aka Big
Bird} at the NASM parking lot at Dulles. *The best part was
eavesdropping as there were multiple folks who'd worked on it
telling others. Some met other that they'd known only by name.

I met a senior EE from Perkin Elmer who related issues with the
"looper" that absorbed slack in the film as the camera stopped
and restarted every revolution.

Photos and video of the KH-9 hehttp://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1568
Big, big, satellite!
The will unveil the KH-8 Gambit tonight indoors.
They intend to make public a lot of the KH-9 photos also; those should
be fun to go through, especially if they release them in some form where
you could view the photos from the twin cameras in 3D. The KH-8 close-up
shots would be even more fun to examine, but I don't know if those are
going to get released.

It's easy to get the 3D-effect from a single camera in orbit. I never
understood the value of using dual cameras with such a short baseline.

As for the NASM display, I hope they include DSLRs and other consumer
products so that the general public can get an understanding that our
glorious high tech toys of today descended from nuclear force
multipliers of yesteryear. There are even people who are totally into
facts from space history yet absolutely clueless that things like GPS
came directly from nuclear warfare technology. I haven't been back to
NASM in decades, but I hope they've been keeping up on their duty to
educate.

~ CT
Old September 18th 11, 02:58 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 18/09/2011 12:29 PM, Pat Flannery wrote:
[...]

Pat

WOW! Is that an R-4D engine? I always thought it had the same
engine/propulsion system as the Agena.

Old September 18th 11, 07:00 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 18/09/2011 6:41 PM, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 9/17/2011 6:29 PM, Pat Flannery wrote:
Photos and video of the KH-9 he
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1568
Big, big, satellite!
The will unveil the KH-8 Gambit tonight indoors.

NRO has put a whole bunch of stuff related to the satellites up on their
website: http://www.nro.gov/foia/declass/GAMBHEX.html

Pat

Amazing stuff. Shows how out-of-date all this is.