OT- new stealthy naval landing craft prototype

Old January 16th 06, 08:32 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default OT- new stealthy naval landing craft prototype

Last summer, Pat postred pictures of a stealty small patrol boat:

http://www.penguinsix.com/blog/archi...h_boat_co.html

Here is the link to that thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.s...96253f a9829b

This week a similar shaped craft was announced: the Stiletto landing
craft prototype.
Here are pictures and a short article about it:

http://www.mshipco.com/index.php?page_id=11

New Scientist - 16 January 2006
http://www.newscientist.com/article....mg18925345.400

-Anti-wobble boat keeps low profile-

A HIGH-SPEED landing craft unveiled this week by the US Department of
Defense will not only stay steady at its top speed of 50 knots, but
also produces virtually no wake. The vessel, dubbed Stiletto, is the
prototype for a new breed of craft designed to carry troops and their
equipment ashore without attracting attention.

Stiletto's hull has a double-M shape that channels the wake under the
craft. There it mixes with oncoming air to produce froth that lifts the
ship part-way out of the water, reducing drag and increasing stability,
says Greg Glaros, the programme's leader at the defence department's
Office of Force Transformation.

The hull is made of carbon fibre, and the 27-metre-long, 12-metre-wide
vessel will be able to haul around 37 tonnes. The prototype cost $6
million to build, and will be tested during this year.

Rusty

Old January 17th 06, 12:30 AM posted to sci.space.history

Rusty wrote:

Last summer, Pat postred pictures of a stealty small patrol boat:

http://www.penguinsix.com/blog/archi...h_boat_co.html

Here is the link to that thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.s...96253f a9829b

This week a similar shaped craft was announced: the Stiletto landing
craft prototype.
Here are pictures and a short article about it:

http://www.mshipco.com/index.php?page_id=11

Apart from sloped side, those boats don't look even *remotely* similar...

--
"The only thing that galls me about someone burning the American flag is how unoriginal it is. I mean if you're going to pull the Freedom-of-speech card, don't be a hack, come up with something interesting. Fashion Old Glory into a wisecracking puppet and blister the system with a scathing ventriloquism act, or better yet, drape the flag over your head and desecrate it with a large caliber bullet hole." Dennis Miller
Old January 17th 06, 04:38 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:30:47 GMT, Scott Lowther
wrote:

Apart from sloped side, those boats don't look even *remotely* similar...

....Yeah, but if you mount a couple of torpedo tubes on it, I'll gladly
abandon my dream for a fully functional frat-killer PT boat and take
one of these instead. For all the whining most Navy captains make
about stealth ships, I'll gladly take one of these. Two if I can get a
discount, and I'll even let D drive it around the cove!

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old January 17th 06, 06:04 PM posted to sci.space.history

Rusty wrote:

3fa9829b?q=stealth++boat&rnum=1#43b496253fa9829 b

This week a similar shaped craft was announced: the Stiletto landing
craft prototype.
Here are pictures and a short article about it:

Boy, is that ever one slick-lookin' piece of machinery!
It almost looks like the troops disembark from the stern.

Pat

Old January 17th 06, 07:31 PM posted to sci.space.history

OM wrote:

...Yeah, but if you mount a couple of torpedo tubes on it, I'll gladly
abandon my dream for a fully functional frat-killer PT boat and take
one of these instead.

Given the design you could indeed hang some torpedoes in those underhull
indentations.

Pat