KSC "Cape Canaveral: Then and Now" tour

Old December 27th 04, 11:42 PM
Jud McCranie

Default KSC "Cape Canaveral: Then and Now" tour

We're going to KSC soon. Back in my day (the late 60s) the standard
tour took you into Mercury Control. At first the lights were out,
then they turn on all of the lights as they would be during a flight.
It was my favorite part of the tour. I know that isn't in the
standard tour now, but is it in the "Then and Now" tour? (It seems
like it should be, but nothing I could find about the tour mentioned
it.) Even if it isn't on the Then and Now tour, I'm still going to
take it, but I'm wondering if Mercury Control is on it.

---
Replace you know what by j to email
Old December 28th 04, 02:12 AM
Jud McCranie

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:42:45 -0500, Jud McCranie
wrote:

tour took you into Mercury Control.

I mean the mission control room, not the launch control.

---
Replace you know what by j to email
Old December 28th 04, 03:04 AM
Roger Reini

On 2004-12-27 18:42:45 -0500, Jud McCranie
said:

We're going to KSC soon. Back in my day (the late 60s) the standard
tour took you into Mercury Control. At first the lights were out,
then they turn on all of the lights as they would be during a flight.
It was my favorite part of the tour. I know that isn't in the
standard tour now, but is it in the "Then and Now" tour? (It seems
like it should be, but nothing I could find about the tour mentioned
it.) Even if it isn't on the Then and Now tour, I'm still going to
take it, but I'm wondering if Mercury Control is on it.

When I visited KSC in August 2000, Mercury Control was not part of the
Then and Now tour. The room had been rebuilt and relocated in one of
the exhibit halls (I forget which). Now there was something very
similar to this when I visited the Saturn V exhibit, although it was a
recreation of Apollo Launch Control.

Old December 28th 04, 04:32 AM
Jim Oberg

Jud, good luck with your tour, and I'd sure like to hear
about the results -- I'm helping a big East Coast museum plan
a VIP space tour next October that includes KSC, especially the
intimate behind-the-scenes spots.

Old December 28th 04, 05:13 AM
Jud McCranie

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:04:41 -0500, Roger Reini
wrote:

When I visited KSC in August 2000, Mercury Control was not part of the
Then and Now tour. The room had been rebuilt and relocated in one of
the exhibit halls (I forget which).

So I guess you get to see the room, in a way, even if it isn't the
same building. A bit of a bummer.

It was so exciting to see Mercury Control in the late 60s. Remember
in those days you saw a lot of that room on the TV during flights.
The ground track map was on the screen for most of the flight, it
seemed. And of course I saw it in black and white. In the late 60s,
when you went into the building, there was glass between you and the
room. It was all dark and dead-looking at first. Then they turned on
the lights and it came to life. Colored lights! (instead of TV B&W).
The map had a blue background, IIRC. The consoles had colored lights
on. I think there was sound too. My favorite part of the tour.

---
Replace you know what by j to email
Old December 28th 04, 05:16 AM
Jud McCranie

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 04:32:45 GMT, "Jim Oberg"
wrote:

Jud, good luck with your tour, and I'd sure like to hear
about the results

Thanks, I haven't been there since July 1969. I'm taking my wife (who
has been there before) and my daughter (who hasn't). We're going in a
few days and will get the 12-month pass. This time we will spend part
of two days there. The "Then and now" tour isn't being given right
now, so we'll take the standard tour this time. Since now we're only
200 miles from KSC, I'll go back for the "then and now" tour.

---
Replace you know what by j to email
Old December 28th 04, 01:11 PM
Tim K.

"Jud McCranie" wrote in message

Thanks, I haven't been there since July 1969.

You won't recognize the place

Old December 28th 04, 04:10 PM
bob haller

Mercury control was moved because of asbestos and other hazardous things in the
original building.

Sorry to hear then and now isnt operating currently, were planning a trip soon
and that WAS on my must do list...
..
..
End the dangerous wasteful shuttle now before it kills any more astronauts....
Old December 28th 04, 04:11 PM
bob haller

I'm helping a big East Coast museum plan
a VIP space tour next October that includes KSC, especially the
intimate behind-the-scenes spots.

Jim why not get a astronaut for a tour guide?

How do I join your group? I want to see inside the VAB!!
..
..
End the dangerous wasteful shuttle now before it kills any more astronauts....
Old December 28th 04, 08:19 PM
Matt J. McCullar

How do I join your group? I want to see inside the VAB!!

Just go to your local Wal-Mart and imagine shuttle hardware inside it.