Cats in space

Old October 31st 04, 07:38 PM
Pat Flannery

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

Methinks you're over-gunned and under-animaled. My Glock 27 and
Springfield Armory M1A Scout can handle most situations with aplomb.
My three fully-clawed cats are capable of inflicting grievous flesh
wounds on the exposed dermal layers of evil-doers. They can provide
hairballs, too. And the 80 pound Labrador of the house is quite
capable of knocking down any intruders and suffocating them while
licking them to death. ;-)

We had a cat-dog incident happen here at the apartment once; one of the
apartment tenants hooked her Cocker Spaniel's leash to the outside
screen door handle so that it could do its potty business and get some air.
A small white cat came along, and sat itself down around one foot
outside of the dog's maximum reach on the leash, quietly enjoying itself
as the dog went completely berserk. This went on for around ten
minutes....until somebody wanted to leave the building, and opened the
screen door that the dog was leashed to- allowing it another couple of
feet of slack on its leash.
The cat calmly waited as the dog came straight at it, raised its right
paw, and applied its claws to the dog's nose...then backed off another
couple of feet, and sat back down...again, about one foot outside of the
dog's maximum reach....
I'm surprised that the dog didn't rip the screen door clean off of the
building at that point.

Pat

Old November 1st 04, 12:05 AM
Scott Lowther

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

In article ,
Scott Lowther wrote:

Indeed. I've got my Thompson and my Berretta Storm mere feet from here
(not to mention Mr. 12-guage and Madam .45), and Koshka has a full set
of claws (can't stand those assholes who declaw their cats to save their
drapes).

Methinks you're over-gunned

No such thing exists. It's as ridiculous a notion as having "too much
money."

and under-animaled.

The animal I've got doesn't like other animals, so, there ya go.

Old November 1st 04, 01:55 AM
Neil Gerace

"Scott Lowther" wrote in message

Had I the money, I'd take a less twitchy cat than Koshka up on Spaceship
Two. Koshka doesn't even like *cars*, so 3 minutes of 0-G would clearly be
ill advised. But a cooler cat.... SS2 would be the perfect way to answer
tthis question without going fully orbital. If the cat can't calm down in
3 minutes, three hours probably won't cut it.

Remember to show us whether Koshka lands on her feet when gravity kicks back
in; a lot of theoretical physicists will want to know.

Old November 1st 04, 02:35 AM
Chuck Stewart

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 09:55:02 +0800, Neil Gerace wrote:

Remember to show us whether Koshka lands on her feet when
gravity kicks back in;

She will.

a lot of theoretical physicists will want to know.

Er, why? There's nothing magic about rotating your body
to a certain orientation in freefall... if you have a limb
to counter-rotate.

Astronauts can do it... and Koshka has one more limb than
they do

(not even counting that whole mamba-spine thing

--
Chuck Stewart
"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just studying algebra?"

Old November 1st 04, 04:39 AM
Neil Gerace

"Chuck Stewart" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 09:55:02 +0800, Neil Gerace wrote:

Remember to show us whether Koshka lands on her feet when
gravity kicks back in;

She will.

a lot of theoretical physicists will want to know.

Er, why? There's nothing magic about rotating your body
to a certain orientation in freefall... if you have a limb
to counter-rotate.

Well, perhaps there's not as much interest in a cat that doesn't have a dish
of chicken tikka masala strapped to its back. It's a technological
enhancement of the Buttered Toast / Cat Perpetual Motion Machine.

http://members.aol.com/moggycat/purrpetual.htm

"Therefore a cat with Chicken Tikka Masala on its back will be certain to
hover in mid air, while there could be problems with [a monorail powered by
the Toast/Cat hover drive] as the toast may fall off the cat, causing a
terrible monorail crash resulting in nauseating images of members of the
royal family visiting accident victims in hospital, and politicians saying
it wouldn't have happened if their party was in power as there would have
been more investment in cat-toast glue research."

Old November 1st 04, 08:33 AM
Pat Flannery

No such thing exists. It's as ridiculous a notion as having "too much
money."

Is your Thompson a full-auto our semi-auto varient?

Pat

Old November 1st 04, 08:37 AM
Pat Flannery

Neil Gerace wrote:

Remember to show us whether Koshka lands on her feet when gravity kicks back
in; a lot of theoretical physicists will want to know.

Well I don't know about cats; but that terminal roll that the cat went
through after the second bounce off of the wall would have left me dizzy
for hours...if not for days.

Pat

Old November 1st 04, 08:42 AM
Pat Flannery

Chuck Stewart wrote:

Astronauts can do it... and Koshka has one more limb than
they do

But not anywhere near as prehensile as a cute, personality-filled monkey.

Pat

Old November 1st 04, 09:45 AM

Mike Flugennock wrote:
Is the automated/unpiloted rendezvous-capable craft really going to be
automated/unpiloted?

Here we see Fluffy on her first round of vomit comet training as a member
of the class dubbed "the Feline Nine".

http://216.40.242.213/mirror/cat.mov

She seems to have forgotten that she needs _gravity_ to hit on all fours.

Link resolves to a political web site.

TBerk
Old November 1st 04, 10:49 AM
Dale

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 09:45:48 GMT, T wrote:

Mike Flugennock wrote:
Is the automated/unpiloted rendezvous-capable craft really going to be
automated/unpiloted?

Here we see Fluffy on her first round of vomit comet training as a member
of the class dubbed "the Feline Nine".

http://216.40.242.213/mirror/cat.mov

She seems to have forgotten that she needs _gravity_ to hit on all fours.

Link resolves to a political web site.

Indeed. It didn't to start with, as I gather from the followups...

Dale

Fearing my new domain name of "disorientedcatsforkerry.com" just won't
be working in time to make a difference.