eyepiece adaptors ......

Old July 9th 04, 06:06 PM
Alan

Default eyepiece adaptors ......

I've just got my first 2 inch eyepiece, which means I now have both 2 inch
and 1 1/4 inch eyepieces. This is no problem because my focuser has 2 inch
and 1 1/4 inch adapters (Skywatcher Dob), but:

I don't like the idea of swapping adapters each time I want to change from a
2 inch to 1 1/4 inch EP, because this means undoing and re-tightening the
thumbscrews which hold the adapter in the focuser from "all the way in" to
"all the way out" and back again each time. Compare this with the
thumbscrews that hold the eyepiece to the adapter, which only have to be
turned slightly to allow an eyepiece swap in the same adapter.

This is likely to happen frequently, especially as I envisage using the 2
inch EP as a finder as well as a rich field EP.

My question is this; am I being over-fussy, or would it really make sense to
leave the 2 inch adapter in place, and buy a 2 inch to 1 1/4 inch adapter
ring to use on the 1 1/4 EPs, thereby avoiding all that undoing and
re-tightening of thumbscrews? (My concern being wear on the threads not on
my fingers !)

Thoughts appreciated ........

Old July 10th 04, 11:15 AM
Jim Easterbrook

In article , Alan wrote:

I don't like the idea of swapping adapters each time I want to change from a
2 inch to 1 1/4 inch EP, because this means undoing and re-tightening the
thumbscrews which hold the adapter in the focuser from "all the way in" to
"all the way out" and back again each time. Compare this with the
thumbscrews that hold the eyepiece to the adapter, which only have to be
turned slightly to allow an eyepiece swap in the same adapter.

I've also got a Sky-Watcher Dob and, yes, it is a bit of a pain swapping
between 2" and 1.25" because of the eyepiece holders "dovetail" base. In
my case it just means I use my one 2" eyepiece less than I should, but I
do have a good finder so don't need to swap for that reason.

My question is this; am I being over-fussy, or would it really make sense to
leave the 2 inch adapter in place, and buy a 2 inch to 1 1/4 inch adapter
ring to use on the 1 1/4 EPs, thereby avoiding all that undoing and
re-tightening of thumbscrews? (My concern being wear on the threads not on
my fingers !)

I don't think thread wear is an issue. The luxury solution would be to
buy as many 1.25" to 2" adapters as you have 1.25" eyepieces, and semi-
permanently convert all of them to 2" fitting. If you use the "ultra low
profile" adapters from eBay seller "telescope warehouse" you could also
make all of your eyepieces parfocal by clamping the adapter in the right
place.
--
Jim Easterbrook http://astro.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/
N51.36 W0.25
Old July 10th 04, 03:08 PM
Alan

snip

I don't think thread wear is an issue. The luxury solution would be to
buy as many 1.25" to 2" adapters as you have 1.25" eyepieces, and semi-
permanently convert all of them to 2" fitting. If you use the "ultra low
profile" adapters from eBay seller "telescope warehouse" you could also
make all of your eyepieces parfocal by clamping the adapter in the right
place.
--
Jim Easterbrook http://astro.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/
N51.36 W0.25

Yes parfocalisation benefits had ocurred to me too. I only have one 1 1/4
eyepiece (I'm assuming my new 30mm EP will make my 25mm came-with-scope EP
redundant) to worry about, so I am tempted. More toys ........ :-).

AFOV (Apparent Field of View) Sean O'Dwyer Misc 4 July 7th 04 04:10 AM
AFOV Mike Thomas Amateur Astronomy 20 July 1st 04 04:59 PM
GSO SuperView 42mm 68° 2" Eyepiece - A Feverish Indoor Review Pete Rasmussen Amateur Astronomy 8 March 13th 04 03:29 AM
Bands of Saturn. How many of them can be counted (really!) with 7" scope? ValeryD Amateur Astronomy 294 January 26th 04 08:18 PM
*Review: Astrosystems 30mm WIDE SCAN III Eyepiece David Knisely Amateur Astronomy 6 August 8th 03 05:53 AM