Importing scopes

Old April 21st 04, 06:40 PM
Alan

Default Importing scopes

Has anybody imported a Meade scope from the US?
If so is there any problems with customs tax etc?

Old April 21st 04, 07:21 PM
Malcolm Stewart

"Alan" wrote in message
Has anybody imported a Meade scope from the US?
If so is there any problems with customs tax etc?

What will you do if what is in the sealed box is a returned second-hand 'scope?
Your savings could disappear quite quickly.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old April 21st 04, 08:56 PM
david

Has anybody imported a Meade scope from the US?
If so is there any problems with customs tax etc?

What will you do if what is in the sealed box is a returned second-hand

'scope?

Is that likely?

I have imported quite a bit of stuff from the US and Hong Kong, though
admittedly not a scope, and have successfully saved hundreds of quids.

It really is caveat emptor. Get the vendor to mark the box "gift" or
"second hand telescope parts" or some such lie and often customs ignore the
whole thing. The us post also seems to require the sender to fill in a form
declaring the valuie of goods and this is affixed to the outside of the box.
Some flexing of the truth here helps too.

The US dollar is so low right now it's tempting.

I have found US dealers in other spheres to be very good at international
trade.

David

Old April 21st 04, 10:36 PM
Malcolm Stewart

"david" wrote in message

Has anybody imported a Meade scope from the US?
If so is there any problems with customs tax etc?

What will you do if what is in the sealed box is a returned second-hand

'scope?

Is that likely?

It happened to me a short time ago. I bought from a well known UK Meade dealer,
and fortunately the UK importers, BCF, couldn't have been more helpful in
resolving the situation.

Old April 22nd 04, 07:32 AM
Andy

Allo there

I would say, having played the game, eyepieces and the like are ok I guess
to import/bring in, Tele-Vue for instance are a bargain In the USA, and
other little bits as they are relatively small easy to pack etc

Importing like scopes is a game of chance, many times in the past I had
stuff come from the US marked "Scientific Instrument" and that was ok, no
one ever questioned it, but sine 9/11 security is tighter and checks made
more often. It is sometimes ok in the US but once it gets here, the C&E
could open the box.... they aren't stupid and can tell a second hand scope
from a new one.

If your a betting man.... go for it, take the chance but if you get caught
out then I guess you put it down to experience.

As for Meade Scopes, make sure your getting one with UHTC, as all the UK
scopes have that as standard, its an extra in the US.

Cheers

Andy

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...

Old April 22nd 04, 08:07 AM
Joe Longthorn

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
"david" wrote in message

Has anybody imported a Meade scope from the US?
If so is there any problems with customs tax etc?

What will you do if what is in the sealed box is a returned

second-hand
'scope?

Is that likely?

It happened to me a short time ago. I bought from a well known UK Meade

dealer,
and fortunately the UK importers, BCF, couldn't have been more helpful in
resolving the situation.

So you've never got a second-hand scope from a US dealer then?

Old April 22nd 04, 03:11 PM
david

What will you do if what is in the sealed box is a returned

second-hand
'scope?

Is that likely?

It happened to me a short time ago. I bought from a well known UK Meade

dealer,
and fortunately the UK importers, BCF, couldn't have been more helpful in
resolving the situation.

Glad you got it sorted.

Old April 23rd 04, 12:20 AM
Lilian

Yes, I imported my 12"

Duty is 4% +VAT and they charge that on the shipping fees. It took me half a
day to collect the scope at Heathrow and I freighted it in using American
Airlines cargo.

For an 8" scope you could actually go over for the weekend and bring it back
as your 2 pieces of luggage. Go to Rivers Camera Store in Dover NH because
there is no sales tax there. Otherwise if you buy in say New York you will
pay over 8% sales tax and this is not shown in the US price.

US dealers are not suppose to export but I believe OPT do.

You can ask me more questions directly if you like.

Lilian

Old April 23rd 04, 12:56 PM
Mike Murphy

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 00:20:58 +0100, "Lilian"
wrote:

US dealers are not suppose to export but I believe OPT do.

OPT only export accessories, not 'scopes, well not Meade ones anyway
(I've asked them).
- Mike
Old April 24th 04, 09:08 AM
Chris Jones

Looked into importing a Meade but all suppliers I contacted refused to ship.
However almost all my extras I.ve bought new from states, Meade Telenegative
lens (£50), set of 6 filters, (£28), ETX125 hard case (£95 in uk £170!) and
finally a Orion Narrowband filter for £38, all these prices included
shipping.
I have not yet (crossed fingers, legs and everything else!) been stung for
either VAT or duty, just been lucky I guess and saved on the above approx
£200..

CJ