A game for oriel36 et al to play

Old November 30th 10, 05:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default The truth is there for all to see

On Nov 30, 3:14*am, badastrobuster wrote:

Assuming he doesn't have some mental illness I do wonder what motivates him.

Assuming he is sincere in what he posts - I had long tried to engage
him, but he now thinks of me as a "nuisance" and does not deign to
reply to my posts - his motivations are clear enough, if one were,
like me, to waste time closely studying his every post here for years.

As I've noted, he's all right with Copernicus finding out that the
Earth goes around the Sun. And he's even happy that Kepler worked out
his elegant three laws, giving planetary orbits an elegant geometrical
form.

But Newton is where he objects. Newton took the laws of mechanics, as
he further developed them, and applied them to the planets, treating
them as ordinary massive bodies - bodies that have inertia, momentum,
angular momentum, and which are pulled by gravity. And he found that
the inverse-square law of gravity coincided with Kepler's laws.

To him, this is "empiricism" and a "predictions/modeling agenda". How
dare you take God's glorious handiwork in the heavens and reduce it to
raw materialism!

The "sidereal day" objection is simply a consequence of this basic
approach. Astronomers today treat the sidereal day as the true
rotational period of the Earth because that can be referenced to the
fixed stars - and, therefore, to an _inertial reference frame_.

If you don't think that physics even applies to the motions of the
planets, then there's no reason to do that. So the Earth speeds up and
slows down in its rotation because of the Equation of Time? That's
just the way God's clockwork happens to be set up. The whole idea of
the Earth being a massive ball of rock, that requires energy to speed
up its rotation or slow down its rotation, is in direct opposition to
his world view.

So today's conventional astronomers just have these complicated
mechanistic ideas that just detract from our enjoyable contemplation
of God's miraculous handiwork in the heavens.

John Savard
Old November 30th 10, 05:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default A game for oriel36 et al to play

On 11/30/10 11:42 AM, oriel36 wrote:

You hate astronomy and mock faith but that is not freedom,that is
slavery of the worse kind.I do not pass judgment on you or the
rest ,these things happen in their own way and own time but it is
betrayal,make no mistake about this as it attempts to influence the
next generation with the same rubbish you cling to.

It's hard for me to believe that Jesus would embrace your denial
of the rotation of the heavenly bodies such as the sun and moon,
Gerald! I don't see that as hating astronomy, nor mocking faith.

Old November 30th 10, 06:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Nov 30, 5:46*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
On 11/30/10 11:42 AM, oriel36 wrote:

You hate astronomy and mock faith but that is not freedom,that is
slavery of the worse kind.I do not pass judgment on you or the
rest ,these things happen in their own way and own time but it is
betrayal,make no mistake about this as it attempts to influence the
next generation with the same rubbish you cling to.

* *It's hard for me to believe that Jesus would embrace your denial
* *of the rotation of the heavenly bodies such as the sun and moon,
* *Gerald! I don't see that as hating astronomy, nor mocking faith.

That's right son,let it out,I too would lose my humanity if I thought
that I could not determine that the day/night cycle is due to the
daily rotation of the Earth and especially knowing what the Feb 29th
24 hour rotation does,and as for matters of faith,astronomy and
science is a facet of faith as it contains that one word which
encompasses the existence of the universe with our individual
existence - Behold !.

Are you ashamed that you went so far as to casually determine that day/
night is different to daily rotation in an open forum knowing there
would be nobody else objecting ?,the stupid idea of 366 1/4 rotations
in a year cannot come from an astronomer and I assure you,when you
make your few dollars,that you and your colleagues have devalued
astronomy to the point where it does not exist except in these
unmoderated forums.

What are you going to do next now that you believe 366 1/4 rotations
in a year without cause and effect ?.

Old November 30th 10, 07:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 11/30/10 12:07 PM, oriel36 wrote:
On Nov 30, 5:46 pm, Sam wrote:
[...]

Astronomy is particularly interesting in that there is new
discovery all the time! I find that I thrive on teaching and
am not afraid to show the excitement, the emotion and
appreciation for the men and women who have contributed to
our understanding of nature around us.

There is also beauty the mathematics and the insight, simplicity
and elegance that it contributes to our understanding.

So what's next? I'm going to keep teaching! Gerald you are
invited to take one of my classes, but you are going to have
to positively participate in class, read the textbook, do and
turn in the homework and take the exams. Your life will be
enriched. You become a better life-long learner.

Old November 30th 10, 07:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Nov 30, 5:46 pm, Sam *wrote:
[...]

You do not teach,a person,any person, who cannot put the Feb 29th 24
hour rotation in context of 365 1/4 days and 365 1/4 rotations in an
orbital circuit does not belong anywhere near a classroom or a
scientific institution.

So be it,that unrepentant nature is a result of being exceptionally
crude,no more or no less but that you can openly state that the day/
night cycle and daily rotation are not intrinsic to each other without
fear of objection is your last word,not this one.

Old November 30th 10, 08:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Nov 30, 7:26*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:

* *So what's next? I'm going to keep teaching! Gerald you are
* *invited to take one of my classes, but you are going to have
* *to positively participate in class, read the textbook, do and
* *turn in the homework and take the exams. Your life will be
* *enriched. You become a better life-long learner.

Tell me,what is the name of the institution you work for so I can
demonstrate gross incompetence and fraud seeing you are so confident
of your abilities,after all if I ask you what causes the day/night
cycle,you openly stated it is not daily rotation,to be precise seeing
this is a criminal incompetence issue -

On Nov 29, 9:41 pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
Gerald, you are taking about day night cycles.
I am writing about earth rotations. Do you not have the foggiest
notion that they are technically (thus astronomically) different?

Even a whisper of dissent from cause and effect amounts to criminal
liability as this is influencing students in a manner that endangers
their ability to reason properly.There was a reason others had tried
to talk you out of pursuing me but sooner or later you would compile
enough evidence for a larger conviction platform and having obliged ,I
thank you for helping to open up an incredibly productive chapter in
human history.It does not matter if you operate out of a community
college or JPL,assent by silence in this case is culpability and the
court is much tougher than any legal court as your kind will find out.

Btw the way,daily rotation causes the day night cycle.

Old November 30th 10, 08:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On Nov 30, 5:46 pm, Sam wrote:
[...]

I don't remember "Feb 29" or "day/night cycles" ever having come up
in ANY astronomy course that I have taught. Certainly the students are
expected to know and articulate the differences between sidereal and
solar days.

It is interesting that you, Gerald CANNOT articulate the difference
between sidereal and solar days, and the importance of both in
astronomy. Had you ever used a telescope that tracks the sky, or sun
you be a bit more "up" on the differences and importance.

Old November 30th 10, 08:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 11/30/10 2:17 PM, oriel36 wrote:
Tell me,what is the name of the institution you work for so I can
demonstrate gross incompetence and fraud seeing you are so confident
of your abilities,after all if I ask you what causes the day/night
cycle,you openly stated it is not daily rotation,to be precise seeing
this is a criminal incompetence issue -

Iowa State University
Marshalltown Community College

Old November 30th 10, 08:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Nov 30, 8:20*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
On 11/30/10 2:17 PM, oriel36 wrote:

Tell me,what is the name of the institution you work for so *I can
demonstrate gross incompetence and fraud seeing you are so confident
of your abilities,after all if I ask you what causes the day/night
cycle,you openly stated it is not daily rotation,to be precise seeing
this is a criminal incompetence issue -

* *Iowa State University
* *Marshalltown Community College

Thank you.

Are you still confident that the day/night cycle and daily rotation
are not intrinsically linked through cause and effect ?.This is not a
trap,it s a simple question that you can answer any way you want with
considerations given to no more than a full 365 rotations and day/
night cycles in one orbital circuit and corresponding to 36 1/4 days
and 365 1/4 rotations within context of a Feb 29th day/night cycle
and 24 hour rotation.

You are giving an answer for everyone who has posted in
sci.astro.amateur within the last decade,not just representative of
your college but many other institutions so take your time and be
confident in your 366 1/4 rotations in a year.It is not a Usenet
game,it is something decisive and long overdue and if you can't
handle the responsibility then just say so.

Old November 30th 10, 08:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 11/30/10 2:40 PM, oriel36 wrote:
On Nov 30, 8:20 pm, Sam wrote:
[...]

I teach science, not bull****, Gerald! I find it interesting that
you rally against the measurements of the rotation of the sun, of the
moon and and even the earth. You have trouble understanding what the
observations say, scientifically.