North Dakota Found To Be Harboring Nuclear Missiles

Old November 16th 03, 08:03 PM
OM

Default North Dakota Found To Be Harboring Nuclear Missiles

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:14:25 -0500, Kevin Willoughby
wrote:

Such absolute honesty in advertising is undoubtedly explains the success
of Moxie Tonic Nerve Food. That bottle in my office comes from a time
when Moxie outsold Coke. These days...

....There's a theory as to why things that are good for you are bitter
in taste: the bitter taste evolved as a protective measure - if it
tasted bad, you wouldn't eat it. With this in mind, the smartest thing
that genemodders could be doing right now is to alter the genes of
every single vegetable that's supposed to be good for you so it tastes
like Pez candies or Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Do that, and you'll
finally solve the problem of getting your kids to eat their Spinach.

Of course, this'll ruin the salad dressing industry, but them's the
breaks...

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old November 16th 03, 08:03 PM
OM

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 16:02:36 -0000, Mark Bradford
wrote:

In article , OM wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 23:05:51 -0800, Mary Shafer
wrote:

Which reminds me of a joke involving Thor,
but I'm not going to tell it because it'll embarrass people.

...Yeah, best not to tell jokes out of school that you'll be Thorry
about later.

She might spill if you get her hammered, though.

....Yeah, but then I'll have to Sif through the mess to come up with
any usable data :-P

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old November 16th 03, 08:04 PM
OM

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 10:06:16 -0500, (Peter
Stickney) wrote:

It comes from having a 120 wpm mind and 60 wpm fingers.

....This must play havok with your self-gratification efforts :-P

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old November 16th 03, 08:24 PM
Allen Thomson

Mary Shafer wrote

Oh, and "Goold" is probably "Good" and the radioactivity comes from
the thorium in the mantle. Which reminds me of a joke involving Thor,
but I'm not going to tell it because it'll embarrass people.

http://www.nationallampoon.com/news/joke8_06_01.asp

[blush]
Old November 17th 03, 02:16 AM
Mary Pegg

Mary Shafer wrote:

Vebtury tube equipped fireplace. All illumination is by Goold Old

Vebtury?

Some boring people spell it "Venturi", but I like Vebrury better.

Februry?

--
Ne magna voce clametis ne canatis. Ne sine mediocritate edatis neve
bibatis. Ne ructetis. Ne inflationibus ventris alicui noceatis.
Old November 17th 03, 02:18 AM
Mary Pegg

Peter Stickney wrote:

Mary wins the prize - Venturi Tube is indeed correct. The fireplace
has a set uf venturi-profiled U-shaped tubes that act as the fire
grate. When the upper quadrant of the tube set is heated by the fire,
it pulls cool air in through the bottom, heats it on the way up, and
ejects it into the room from the top. It slightly increases teh
efficiency of the fireplace, but the main advantage is more even
distribution of the fireplace's heat. Useful thrust measurements have
not been made.

I've stoked a fireplace with an electric fan powered grate:
very efficient indeed. It was in Normandy (France).

Old November 17th 03, 02:34 AM
Brett Buck

Mary Pegg wrote:
Peter Stickney wrote:

Mary wins the prize - Venturi Tube is indeed correct. The fireplace
has a set uf venturi-profiled U-shaped tubes that act as the fire
grate. When the upper quadrant of the tube set is heated by the fire,
it pulls cool air in through the bottom, heats it on the way up, and
ejects it into the room from the top. It slightly increases teh
efficiency of the fireplace, but the main advantage is more even
distribution of the fireplace's heat. Useful thrust measurements have
not been made.

I've stoked a fireplace with an electric fan powered grate:
very efficient indeed. It was in Normandy (France).

We used to have a fireplace with a "ash cleaning" hatch in the
bottom. Open it up, and you could brush the ashes into a shaft that went
into the basement. The nice, cold, unheated basement. Of course, if you
opened it while the fireplace was in use, you got a draft up the shaft,
that stoked the fire, that increased the draft, that stoked the fire
more, that increased the draft, etc. We melted the cast-iron grate, and
it sounded like a jet engine. Burned through a Yule Log in about half an
hour. And it didn't require an external power source.

Brett

Old November 17th 03, 04:55 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Mary Pegg writes:
Mary Shafer wrote:

Vebtury tube equipped fireplace. All illumination is by Goold Old

Vebtury?

Some boring people spell it "Venturi", but I like Vebrury better.

Februry?

Now just a durn minute there! _That_ one I got right. (Of course, I
had to go back and check)

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old November 17th 03, 04:56 AM
Peter Stickney

Stickney) wrote:

It comes from having a 120 wpm mind and 60 wpm fingers.

...This must play havok with your self-gratification efforts :-P

Well, they didn't call our Colonial Milita Minutemen for nawthin'!

Old November 17th 03, 03:31 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , Julian Bordas wrote:

[disturbing fast-food establishments]

Nope, they are all over the place around here; mostly they've been in
mall food courts but in the last couple of years we've had 'em popping
up as stand-alone restaurants. Too bad they're owned by a bunch of
religious zealots who insist they remain closed on Sundays -

The real zealots insist that they are closed on Saturday, sunday, monday
.... you get the idea

That's not the zealots, that's Health & Safety...

--
-Andrew Gray