Books on space program and moon landing

Old June 14th 08, 07:39 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Books on space program and moon landing

Matt wrote:
Michael Collins' "Carrying the Fire" is a must-read.

That's a very good and readable one also.
Is that the one with the proposed elevators on Skylab, where you can go
between levels just by kicking yourself off of the floor and floating
upwards through the hole in the ceiling of the level you are on? :-)

Pat
Old June 14th 08, 09:39 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Scott Hedrick wrote:
OK, Stumpy, I'm breeding ninja termites for your new leg. They aren't
monkeys, but they do have colorful personalities :P

It's kind of like the "Superman Revenge Squad" isn't it?
Without having to deal with the The "Superman Revenge Squad" on a
constant basis, or the "Superman Revenge Squad" having to deal with
Kal-El on a regular basis, both sides would rapidly get bored and depressed.
This was once addressed in a movie...in "The Fiendish Plot Of Fu-Manchu"
Fu-Manchu gives Nayland Smith the elixir of immortality so that they can
keep battling each other for hundreds of years to come, as Nayland Smith
is the only foe worthy of contesting his evil abilities against.
I'm sure Ernst Stavro Blofeld thinks the same thing in regards to James
Bond, as well as Ming The Merciless towards Flash Gordon.
How do you know you are top-notch evil without top-notch good to battle
against?
It defines both you and your opponent, and gives you both you and your
opponent a reason to get up in the morning.
John Milton knew all about this when he was writing "Paradise Lost" and
giving all the good lines to Satan. :-D

Pat
Old June 14th 08, 11:13 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

John wrote:
About my last (untrimmed) post . . . my apologies to the group.

Well, welcome to the wild world. :-)
We aren't all crazy, you know.
Did I ever describe my perpetual motion machine concept using flying
fish super-glued on the rim of a giant wheel?
Actually, it's brilliant.. as the flying fish rise out of the water and
start drying out, they want to get back into the water ASAP. ....and
therefore start flapping their pectoral fins at high velocity, driving
the wheel downwards by aerodynamic forces as they cross the top point of
their movement arc.
But will the world embrace this concept?
No, of course not.
Because they are all in the power of the
Zionist/Freemasonic/Illuminati/CFR/World Fisheries Conspiracy.
This is the same group that silenced the concept of "Cold Fish Oil =
Cold Fusion" around two decades ago.
I'd tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you...or myself...or
someone, at least. :-D

Pat
Old June 16th 08, 03:30 AM posted to sci.space.history
John[_3_]

On Jun 13, 10:26*pm, OM wrote:

...Dammit! Which one of you dopes e-mailed him about that? I was about
to jump his ass over it! :-( :-( :-(

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * OM

I only have myself to blame for making . . . and then catching the
mistake. No doubt I will commit other hienous crimes against
humanity; surely your opportunity to jump will come.

John
Old June 16th 08, 03:32 AM posted to sci.space.history
John[_3_]

Currently, I am reading "How Apollo Flew to the Moon" by W. David
Woods. It is different in that it spends less time with the politics
and the personalities involved and more on the "nuts & bolts" of how
it was done. It is a techno-geek's delight describing the
technologies and mechanics of how the flights were accomplished.

If you are the kind of person that watches launches and wishes that
you could listen to the ground and air to ground communications
loops,
instead of the reporters and the PAO . . . this is probably the kind
of book you would like.

The book has some interesting tidbits and hints of things as well.
Apollo 16's Ken Mattingly was quoted regarding about how careful he
was to ensure the LM and CM were properly aligned prior to hard-
docking. Mattingly noted that NASA management had "busted" the
Apollo
15 crew for forcing the two craft together during docking.
Apparently
16 had better results in terms of alignment, but Mattingly stated
that
the effort was "pretty expensive" in RCS fuel.

I am only half way through, but so far, I am loving it, so I would
(conditionally) recommend it.

take care . . .

John

Old June 16th 08, 02:04 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Jun 12, 8:40 am, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
Hi.
I have read and am in the process of reading some books on the history
of the space program.
I enjoyed Andrew Chaikin's A Man on the Moon tremendously. I am also
in the process of reading This New Ocean and am enjoying it a great
deal. I also own a number of others. Anyway, I was just wondering if
anyone had any opinions on what books they liked (or did not like)
about the space program. Which ones were your favorites and why?
Which ones did you
dislike? I'll be eager to hear your thoughts. (I have read some
others, but I don't want to prejudice people's opinions, so I'm
staying quiet for now.)
All the best,
Rob Langenderfer

Don't let "Guthy Gander" know about them -- he'll eat the cover off them!

I have no problems with science fiction, especially if it were based
upon the regular laws of physics, whereas the nearby passage of Venus
would have been unavoidably recorded by way of those unfiltered Kodak
moments, as easily FOV obtained from the physically dark and
electrostatic charged surface of our gamma saturated moon, as well as
from orbit.

Of course having a viable rocket of 30% inert GLOW isn't exactly going
to fly (so to speak), and of their not having actual R&D on behalf of
any prototype fly-by-rocket lander documentation isn't exactly another
good sign, not to mention their having since lost 700 hundred large
boxes of roughly 700,000 Apollo mission related items isn't what I'd
have incorporated in any science fiction book, that is unless it was
an intentional spoof like analogy of what a bunch of brown-nosed
clowns had created, in order to make it look and otherwise seem as
though we'd walked on the moon.

- Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth