SS1 flight set for June 21

Old June 15th 04, 02:21 PM
Mary Pegg

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

In article _eszc.1373$0l3.30@newsfe4-gui,
Mary Pegg wrote:

Because it's part of the Ham family wisdom that you never *EVER* let
people start strapping you into things.

(Jeez, a little behind on our usenet reading, are we?)

In this group, for sure.

Anyway, ask Pat Flannery to pull out his post describing an alleged
siting of Ham and Wally in a bar sometime . . . funniest thing I've read
in years.

Yup, it was a dim memory of that post that prompted my comment above.

--
A man can always find a pub.
Old June 15th 04, 03:51 PM
Herb Schaltegger

Pat Flannery wrote:

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

Anyway, ask Pat Flannery to pull out his post describing an alleged
siting of Ham and Wally in a bar sometime . . . funniest thing I've read
in years.

I take it you mean this:

ed kyle wrote:

Mercury capsule No. 5 was
overaccelerated to 5,857 mph, reaching an altitude of 157 miles and
landing 422 miles downrange. After more than two hours, recovery
crews rescued Ham in good condition from a capsule that had begun to
take on water.

That depends on how you define "good condition"- the chimp was outraged
over the malfunction of his Pavlovian conditioned "see the light- pull
the correct lever- get a banana pellet; see the light- pull the wrong
lever- get an electric shock" control panel, which was giving him shocks
for doing the right thing; as well as the 15 G's he pulled during
reentry after the escape system fired, and all that bobbing around in
the ocean...from what I've read, the thing that came out of the
recovered capsule resembled a wolverine as far as attitude went; and
such bad temper wasn't seen on the part of an astronaut again until
Wally Schirra in Apollo 7. It is rumored that they were later seen in a
bar together, tossing back boilermakers and cursing the names of Pavlov,
Kranz, Tarzan, von Braun, and Slayton....while hurling cold pills,
banana pellets, and feces at the other patrons.

Pat

During the Google search for this, I came to the horrible realization
that I had actually got drunk enough once that
I posted the lyrics to my little Irish ditty, "The Pecker-Touching Song"
to the newsgroup....for this I beg forgiveness. :-[

Pat

Yep, that's the one. And, just for the reference to "The
Pecker-Touching Song", I declined to trim much of my quotes . . . :-p

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer

NASA's X-43A flight results in treasure trove of data Jacques van Oene Space Shuttle 0 April 7th 04 06:42 PM
Space Shuttle ypauls Misc 3 March 15th 04 01:12 AM
NASA updates Space Shuttle Return to Flight plans Jacques van Oene Space Shuttle 0 February 20th 04 05:32 PM
captive carry test prepares NASA for next Hyper-X flight Jacques van Oene Space Shuttle 0 January 23rd 04 05:50 PM
Space Station Crew & Students Are 'Partners In Flight' Ron Baalke Space Station 0 December 16th 03 09:09 PM