Sorry guys there's bound to be cloud ..........

Old January 17th 04, 11:25 PM
Alan

Default Sorry guys there's bound to be cloud ..........

I have to own up to buying a new scope today so apologies if that brings
more cloud :-)

I got a Skywatcher 200PX dob, and despite tonight's cloud I got the base
built and the scope outside, and saw saturn at x48, x120 and x240 ........
for the first time in my life I saw the rings seperate from the planet. Also
saw the Orion nebula with a tinge of green colour. Even managed a shaky
picture of Saturn by hand holding my digicam to the eyepiece ...........

Thanks to all who have given me advice, you'll be glad to know I took the
plunge at last.

Cheers

Alan

Old January 18th 04, 07:54 PM
Alan

"Graham W" wrote in message
Alan wrote:
I have to own up to buying a new scope today so apologies if that
brings more cloud :-)

I got a Skywatcher 200PX dob, and despite tonight's cloud I got the
base built and the scope outside, and saw saturn at x48, x120 and
x240 ........ for the first time in my life I saw the rings seperate
from the planet. Also saw the Orion nebula with a tinge of green
colour. Even managed a shaky picture of Saturn by hand holding my
digicam to the eyepiece ...........

Well done, Alan.

Any chance you could post the picture in news:alt.binaries.pictures.astro
since picture files are not permitted in the text newsgroups. Reduce the
size to 640 x 480 and get the filesize under 100KByutes if possible.
Prefix the subject line with ASTRO: and make an announcement in this
thread when it is up there.

Thanks Graham ....

I'm not convinced that my snap (which is what it was really) merits posting
in a newsgroup, but it is now on my website here

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robinso...aphy/Page5.htm

(second photo on the page at the moment)

I must admit I'm quite pleased as this was taken within 2 hours or so of
first light with my first telescope !

Old January 18th 04, 10:50 PM
Chris.B

"Alan" wrote in message ...

I'm not convinced that my snap (which is what it was really) merits posting
in a newsgroup, but it is now on my website here
I must admit I'm quite pleased as this was taken within 2 hours or so of
first light with my first telescope !

Calling that picture of Saturn a "snap" makes a complete mockery of
my own rather desperate attempts at planetary photography over the
last year! Grrr? :-)

Chris.B
Old January 20th 04, 09:15 AM
Steve

Alan

You pleased with the Skywatcher 200PX dob, I am thinking of getting the
same.

Old January 20th 04, 09:24 AM
Alan

Yes .... only had a couple of hours with it so far, but it seems a very good
start and since it takes 1.25 and 2 inch eyepieces there is potential for
all sorts of fun.

Old January 20th 04, 07:03 PM
Chuck Taylor

"Alan" wrote in message
I have to own up to buying a new scope today so apologies if that brings
more cloud :-)

I got a Skywatcher 200PX dob, and despite tonight's cloud I got the base
built and the scope outside, and saw saturn at x48, x120 and x240 ........
for the first time in my life I saw the rings seperate from the planet.

Also
saw the Orion nebula with a tinge of green colour. Even managed a shaky
picture of Saturn by hand holding my digicam to the eyepiece ...........

Hi Alan,

I could have believed almost any report on what the scope showed you. But to
claim that you were able to use it on the first night? Everyone knows the
first several nights are always completely clouded over. This must be a
hoax!

;-)

(Enjoy the scope!)

Chuck Taylor