Hispanic engineer helps space station crews stay fit

Old May 4th 04, 03:30 AM
Nicholas Fitzpatrick

Default Hispanic engineer helps space station crews stay fit

In article ,
Kevin Willoughby wrote:

In most countries, there are laws that already stop employers from
doing this!

Things aren't quite that simple in the USA. An employer is
simultaneously required to not allow race, religion, sex, etc. to enter
into personal decisions, and, to make sure of this, the government
requires major employers to report the race, religion, sex, etc. of all
its job candidates and employees.

Yeah, I'm aware. We've had to fill in reports on such stuff while
bidding for US Federal contracts. Which creates a dilemna ... we aren't
allowed to keep data on such things ... don't know what the resolution
on that was!

For Canadian government contractors, we also have to submit a report.
But the stats are completely voluntary, self-reporting, and kept
separate from the HR files. But you get some interesting stuff.
One person, whose skin colour was obviously one thing, reported that
she wasn't a visible minority. (esentially ours is simply:
Female: yes or no Visible Minority: yes or no Disabled: yes or no
Aboriginal (Indian, Inuit, or Metis): yes or no) I had the interesting
job of asking her about it ... and she said that basically, she didn't
feel like she was a minority, no matter the colour of her skin. Great,
I thought ... we're winning, and hopefully oneday everyone will feel
that way ... the same way red heads don't feel like a minority (can't
speak for blondes ... :-) On the other hand, it does impact the numbers
on our report ...

(btw, in this whole process, when I did briefly have to deal with
US rules ... no-one could ever give me the definition of a Hispanic.
I've seen blond-hair blue-eyed Mexicans ... so it can't be about skin
colour ... but apparently Spainards don't count ... so it isn't language.
And no-one could tell me what to do with the Brazilian!)

Nick

Old May 4th 04, 09:15 AM
Alan Erskine

"Nicholas Fitzpatrick" wrote in message
Kevin Willoughby wrote:

In most countries, there are laws that already stop employers from
doing this!

Things aren't quite that simple in the USA. An employer is
simultaneously required to not allow race, religion, sex, etc. to enter
into personal decisions, and, to make sure of this, the government
requires major employers to report the race, religion, sex, etc. of all
its job candidates and employees.

Yeah, I'm aware. We've had to fill in reports on such stuff while
bidding for US Federal contracts. Which creates a dilemna ... we aren't
allowed to keep data on such things ... don't know what the resolution
on that was!

Quandry: How do you know if you meet the 'requirements' (for Equal Rights
etc) if you aren't allowed to keep figures that _show_ you as keeping the
right percentages of various groups?

Unbelieveable. And typical government too.

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old May 4th 04, 04:50 PM
Nicholas Fitzpatrick

In article ,
Alan Erskine wrote:

Quandry: How do you know if you meet the 'requirements' (for Equal Rights
etc) if you aren't allowed to keep figures that _show_ you as keeping the
right percentages of various groups?

Unbelieveable. And typical government too.

Well, it is the US government that requires the racial profile. And
as we are in Canada, it is the Canadian government (and most other ones
I would think) that doesn't let us do this.

Nick
Old May 5th 04, 09:39 AM
LooseChanj

On or about Wed, 5 May 2004 09:33:48 +0100, Paul Blay
made the sensational claim that:
You'd be pretty unlikely to get a headline like
"Left-handed engineer helps space station crews stay fit".

And it's a damn shame too. I think a right brained engineer would be more
noteworthy than a hispanic one.
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | Just because something
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | is possible, doesn't

Old May 5th 04, 09:51 AM
Paul Blay

"LooseChanj" wrote ...
On or about Wed, 5 May 2004 09:33:48 +0100, Paul Blay
made the sensational claim that:
You'd be pretty unlikely to get a headline like
"Left-handed engineer helps space station crews stay fit".

And it's a damn shame too. I think a right brained engineer would be more
noteworthy than a hispanic one.

So, are there notably more, or less, than 10% left-handers in Engineering?