Sad Christmas Story

Old December 29th 05, 03:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Sad Christmas Story

The idea will not work. We would still need to keep Christmas and Easter so
that we can celebrate the birth and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

"Phil Wheeler" wrote in message
Florian wrote:
I should add, the solstice does have a spiritual significance to us,
even though there is nothing religious about it.

There is nothing spiritual about it to me. But i do sort of like noting
the moment the sun reverses its course. The summer (June) solstice is
almost more significant to me since i live in the north American desert
and it's pretty darn hot then. My plan, if i was in charge, would be to
do away with all holidays and give everyone 5 extra vacation days a year
to use as they please!

Ironically, my wife said exactly that last night. Might be a problem for
businesses to deal with, though.

Phil

Old December 29th 05, 04:03 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Florian:
My plan, if i was in charge, would be to do away with all
holidays and give everyone 5 extra vacation days a year
to use as they please!

I think you would find it difficult to be "in charge" while swinging
from a rope.

How would you propose to operate essential services such a banks and
the USPS if there were no scheduled holiday but 80% of workers didn't
show up on 1/1, 7/4, 12/25, and other days? Are you aware that much of
the non-Christian world also scales back all activity that requires
international coordination on 12/25?

How would you explain to the families of those who have made the
ultimate sacrifice for their country that "we will no longer honour
your loss as a unified, grateful nation, but you're welcome to take the
day off if you like." Ditto those who came back, but who are forever
changed by the experience. Sorry, no day to honour your terrible
sacrifice. Retired and can't even take the day off? Too bad!

I am /not/ going to discuss the likely fate of someone who tried to
abolish Columbus Day, as I don't want to be responsible for you waking
up screaming from your nightmares.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old December 29th 05, 04:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Mij Adyaw wrote:
The idea will not work. We would still need to keep Christmas and Easter so
that we can celebrate the birth and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Yawn
Old December 29th 05, 03:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Ironically, my wife said exactly that last night. Might be a problem
for businesses to deal with, though.

I'd think it would be easier for businesses if everyone spread their time off around.

-Florian

Old December 29th 05, 03:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

The idea will not work. We would still need to keep Christmas and Easter so
that we can celebrate the birth and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

It works fine. You'd just take those days off as two of your new floating
holidays. I would most likely choose other days off.

-Florian

Old December 29th 05, 03:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

I am /not/ going to discuss the likely fate of someone who tried to
abolish Columbus Day, as I don't want to be responsible for you waking
up screaming from your nightmares.

Columbus Day isn't a holiday for the company i work for so i'm not sure what you're talking about here. I work for a daily newspaper so we have to staff ALL the holidays anyway with scaled back crews and early deadlines. Holidays, to me, are silly.

-Florian

Old December 29th 05, 04:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

I think you would find it difficult to be "in charge" while swinging
from a rope.

Ok, if i'd be lynched for such a change i'll revise my suggestion to say
that _I_ will gladly give up the 6 official scheduled holidays my company
gives me off each year in exchange for 5 or 6 additional floating holidays
to use as i please.

-Florian